- Text Size +
SCORNED
Chapter Ten ��" More Questions

Ducky watched as Tony was rushed into a large exam room followed by a visibly angry Dr. Pitt.

Ducky wondered, ‘Oh dear what has happened to Anthony…did I miss something…I should have insisted he go to the hospital Friday,’ as he was joined by Gibbs.

A nurse approached them and said, “Dr. Pitt said he’s send for you once he gets Agent DiNozzo stabilized.

Ducky thanked the nurse before he and Gibbs walked over to the waiting area and joined a visibly shaken Ziva.

They seated themselves on each of her sides. Gibbs placed his arm around Ziva and she leaned her head on his shoulder. Gibbs inwardly signed, he hated feeling helpless this was his team, his family. He couldn’t do anything to help Tony and it was looking like he needed him Friday night. He should have ordered him to allow McGee to drive him home.

Gibbs said, “Ziva talk to me.” She took a deep breath and said, “Tony died Gibbs,” barely above a whisper. He said, “No Ziva,” but she interrupted saying, “His heart stopped and they had to use that…that what is it called the shocky thing on him three times before they got him back.”

Ducky said, “Oh dear Ziva, you mean they used a defibrillator,” she nodded.

Ziva said, “His body jerked so violently and then…” as the image of Tony’s body jerking and lifting filled her mind and her voice failed her. Ducky squeezed her thigh gently and said, “Ziva don’t fret dear, Tony is a very strong young man and a survivor.” “We all know how much he’s been through in the last few years but he never gives up.”

Gibbs said, “There’s a chance more going on here than we know…something make have happened to Tony this past weekend and Jeanne Benoit is connected or involved in some way.”

Ziva and Ducky said, “Jeanne Benoit?” in unison as they looked to Gibbs for clarification. Gibbs said, “McGee spotted her outside Tony’s apartment and his neighbor said that two men supposedly ‘friends’ had to help him get home Friday.”

Ziva said, “Tony was too exhausted Friday night to meet with any friends, I know his Frat brothers sometime surprise him but he was in pain, I’m sure he would have swept them off.”

Gibbs said, “I think you mean ‘brushed them off’ inwardly smiling at his filling in for Tony, that’s the point Ziva, but there’s more.” She and Ducky both said, “What?”

Gibbs inwardly sighed this wasn’t his thing…Tony was the talker, the one who briefed the team and filled in the blanks.

Tony startled awake and tried to clutch his aching chest but someone held his arms. He forced his eyes open and an agonizing and heart wrenching groan ripped from his throat.

Dr. Pitt and other doctors and nurses openly winced. Dr. Pitt said, “Tony I need you to try and relax.”

Tony would have rolled his eyes and laughed if he could have but he feared the action would kill him.

The throbbing in his head and the pain coursing through his body was overwhelming him, he could feel the tears welling in his eyes but he didn’t care…being embarrassed was irrelevant.

Tony begged barely whispering, “Brad, please God make it stop, please,” as him muscles seem to twist beneath his skin. His body suddenly convulsed and he felt like he was being ripped apart.

Dr. Pitt yelled, “Dammit,” before ordering that they hold him down.

Dr. Pitt felt helpless, he had gotten the preliminary results from Tony’s blood test and he couldn’t chance giving him anything. He was hoping Tony would remain unconscious through the exam but that hadn’t worked out.

Tony temperature was elevated to a critical level, he was dehydrated, there were unidentified drugs in his system and he was suffering from violent spasms.

The involuntary and sudden muscle contractions were extremely painful judging from the intensity of the strain in his body as he rode them out…like now. He finally settled into unconsciousness again.

They released him and Dr. Pitt said, “Get Gibbs and Dr. Mallard in here, I need answers they have to know something.” Then he ordered, no demanded more blood tests, x-rays, a cat scan and ultra-sound. He yelled, “Move I need everything done as quickly as possible…and tell the lab to put a priority rush on the blood,” as he turned toward the entrance.

Gibbs and Ducky were allowed to enter the room by Dr. Pitt but either of them felt very welcome as they stood to the side out of the way.

Dr. Pitt said, “What the hell happened to Tony, are you two trying to kill him?” over his shoulder before turning back to his patient.

He continued his examination in complete control of the nurses and residents giving out orders in a flurry of words none of which Gibbs could understand as his staff moved quickly.

Ducky was growing more and more distraught as Dr. Pitt continued.

Dr. Pitt seemed like a totally different man, the usually calm, easy going doctor was visibly angry and irritated. He wrote something on Tony’s chart before he walked toward Gibbs and Dr. Mallard.

They took several tubes of blood and then rushed Tony out the room.

Dr. Pitt stood before Gibbs and Dr. Mallard just staring at both of them trying to reign in his anger.

Gibbs said, “Look Dr. Pitt I…” as Dr. Pitt interrupted saying, “I did look and need to know what the fuck happened?”

Ducky was stunned by Dr. Pitt’s use of profanity it just wasn’t his style but he had never seen him this angry or frustrated not even when Tony had the plague.

Ducky said, “Anthony was in an altercation with a rather large suspect who kicked him in the chest and abdomen…I told him he needed to go to the hospital but he…,” as Dr. Pitt interrupted saying, “Well you should have insisted,” making Ducky wince.

Gibbs stepped in and said, “Dr. Pitt that was out of line, you have no right to talk to Dr. Mallard like that,” as Ducky said, “He’s quite right, I should have...”

Gibbs said, “No he’s not we all know how Tony is when it comes to hospitals.” “Blaming you for this would be like blaming Dr. Pitt for Tony aversion to hospitals.” “He is the one who treated him for the plague which is where and when he developed the aversion.”

Dr. Pitt shook his he and said, “I’m sorry Ducky, Gibbs is right…I know it’s impossible to get ‘our boy’ to do anything, its just that…I can’t do anything until...”

Gibbs said, “Until what?”

Brad signed and said, “Tony’s lungs have been severely damaged for trauma…his temperature is too high.” “He unconscious right now and that’s a good thing, I’m afraid the pain level when he wakes up is going to be unbearable.” “He’s been coming in and out, the last episode was severe.” “Gibbs he begged me to make it stop and…and…I couldn’t do anything.” “I needed to know what happened to him.”

Gibbs placed his hand on his shoulder…he knew exactly how he felt.

Dr. Pitt said, “Gibbs did you know Tony hasn’t been keeping up with his treatments?” Gibbs and Ducky both said, “What treatments?”

Dr. Pitt growled and mumbled to himself, ‘I’m going to kill him if he survives,’ before saying, “Every since Tony rescued you and that young lady Maddie he has needed regular treatments.” “When he dived into that polluted water and retreated both of your bodies he got a bacterial infection in his right lung.” “When he performed CPR on both of you at the same time it made his left lung vulnerable to the infection.” “I put him on a regiment of medications that keep his lungs clear and dissipate with normal exercise, so there’s no danger of them accumulating and effecting his immune system.”

Gibbs inwardly cringed as he listened, he was responsible for causing Tony pain and what seemed like a permanent condition. He had gone off half-cocked without back-up and nearly gotten himself and Maddie killed.

Tony saved their lives and he was still paying for it and he couldn't remember even thanking him.

Ducky couldn’t believe Anthony hadn’t told him he was undergoing treatments but he understood he was a very private person. And this information would most likely create quite a firestorm at NCIS. He could see the pain in Gibbs eyes as he listened to Dr. Pitt disclosing the information. He knew that was another reason Tony wouldn't discuss it he wouldn’t want Gibbs blaming himself.

Gibbs inwardly groaned before asking, “Does that have anything to do with his current condition?”

Dr. Pitt said, “I don’t honestly know, it depends on what happen, his immune system is weaker when he doesn’t do the treatments on a regular basis.”

Gibbs said, “Tony may have been kidnapped on Friday night and returned to his apartment early Sunday morning.” “We have no idea what could have happen to him.” “We don’t know the purpose of the kidnapping or who was involved.”

Dr. Pitt eyed him thoughtfully as he said, “Who would want to harm Tony like this?” “Are you saying someone kidnapped and possibly tortured him…there was a lot of stain put on both his lungs.”

Gibbs said, “Are you sure you can’t you administer pain medication to help him?”

Ducky said, “Can’t you put him in a medically induced coma to allow his body to heal?”

Dr. Pitt said, “No and no,” as both Gibbs and Ducky gave him a confused look. He said, “I’ll try to explain, Gibbs I can’t administer any pain medication because one of the initial test I ran revealed an excessive amount of antibiotics and some other drugs I haven’t identified in Tony’s system as I mentioned.” “And that also explains why Ducky’s suggestion isn’t wise, the drugs used to induce a coma are extremely powerful…”

Ducky cut in and said, “And you may not be able to pull him out of the coma.”

Gibbs said, “What else?” as he eyed Dr. Pitt knowing he hadn’t explained all his concerns.

Dr. Pitt removed his latex gloves, tossed them in the disposal receptacle and roughly pushed hand threw his hair. He said, “Gibbs I have no idea what was done to Tony and he could die if I don’t find out soon.” “Have you heard about this newly developed chemical torture?” “There are some similarities to the drug make-up in Tony’s system but I can't recall the doctor name that conducted the research.”

He inwardly sighed and said, “I need to check on him,” as he turned and walked away thinking ‘he needed to find that article.'

Gibbs watched Dr. Pitt’s retreat until he disappeared behind double doors that read ‘RESTRICTED - MEDICAL PERSONNEL ONLY’ before turning to Ducky.

Gibbs said, “Ducky?” as realization told him everything he needed to know…Tony is dying and if they don’t find out what happened to him after he left NCIS Headquarters on Friday night there was nothing anyone could do to help him not even his ‘Guardian Angel’ Dr. Brad Pitt. He said, “Ducky we have a case to investigate and Tony’s life depends on what we find.”

He then turned and headed back to where Ziva was pacing a trench in the floor. He stopped Ziva by grabbing her shoulders and said, “Call McGee and tell him to get a team over to Tony’s apartment and have it thoroughly searched.”

Ziva said, “For what Gibbs?” He said, “We’ll know when they find it.” “I need you and McGee back at NCIS Headquarters, I want Tony’s footsteps traced from the moment he left the building Friday night.”

Ziva nodded and headed toward the exit as she opened her phone.

Gibbs took Ducky by the arm and turned him to face him before saying, “Duck I need you to call Abby and fill her in on what’s going on and let her know she needs to find out what that drug is in Tony’s blood.” “I need you to stay here and keep me informed on his condition.”

Ducky nodded and asked, “Where are you going?”

Gibbs said, “To see Jeanne Benoit,” as he headed for the exit.

TBC