- Text Size +
SCORNED
Chapter Eleven ��" Finding Answers

Dr. Pitt told him to bite down on the mouth piece to help ride-out the pain and try to relax. The words sounded like a cruel joke how was he supposed to ride-out the pain or relax. He was losing body fluids as sweat escaped his pores. The only thing he was receiving was fluids to keep him hydrated. Brad had told him he couldn’t give him any medication until he knew what was already in his system. He would wake up in a cold sweat but he was felt like he was on fire as waves of pain assaulted his entire body. He felt like white-hot needles were being poked and jabbed into his limbs. Every muscle twisted and burned as they seemed to fight for escape.

No matter how hard he fought to relax his body arched and strained against its assault but nothing helped. Tony reached out and grabbed for the bed railing to give himself something to hold on to. His head was throbbing and he could hardly breathe then mercifully darkness claimed him until the next time.

****************************************

Tanner Sims, Jeanne’s driver pulled up in front of the Adams House Hotel. He lowered the privacy divider and said, “We have arrived Dr. Benoit.” She said, “Could you please give me a moment.” He said, “Of course Ma’am,” as he raised the divider and step out of the car.

Sims thought to himself, ‘She probably needed more than a moment judging from the sobs he had heard the entire ride from DiNozzo’s apartment.’ He stepped over to the doorman and explained that the lady would need a few minutes and doorman nodded his affirmative.

Sims pulled out his cell he needed to report to Cooper that he had picked up multiple tails following the car. Sims was pulling double duty watched both Dr. Benoit and DiNozzo. His Boss wasn’t pleased when he informed him that DiNozzo was being rushed to the hospital and McGee had returned to the building instead of going with his friend. Cooper had told him to ‘keep eyes on Benoit’ and he would get Michaels over to the hospital.

Cooper said, “Michaels you need to get to the hospital, take the antidote and see it you can get it in him.” Michaels said, “I thought you were having both samples analyzed and you haven’t got any reports back yet, do you really want to take a chance?” Cooper said, “No I don’t but what choice do we really have?” Michaels nodded and left. He was heading over to Bethesda, he had been working there for years as a Physician’s Assistance he wasn’t on schedule today but he could talk his way in they always needed extra help. The position gave him full excess to the military facility. Practically all of the Physician’s Assistance were ex-medic from every branch of the military…the government had created a position the suited them well.

Getting near DiNozzo would be a problem, he had only worked with Dr. Brad Pitt a few times and he knew he was very protective of all his patients. And he and Tony DiNozzo were friends, they had been since Dr. Pitt saved his live. Even though, the plaque DiNozzo had contracted had a ‘suicide gene’ without Dr. Pitt’s diligent and determination he wouldn’t have survived. He couldn’t switch the medication because of the color or add it to an IV. Michaels had completed every mission Cooper had every given him since they served together but this one seemed impossible.

************************************

McGee had spent over an hour interviewing Tony’s neighbor Mrs. DiMarco and he was worried.

Mrs. DiMarco said after the two men told her that Tony had been drinking to ‘wind down’ as they put it she became suspicious, Tony didn’t drink to relax, so she listened at the door. She didn’t hear Tony’s door open or closed but she did hear the elevator. She bereted herself for not checking his apartment until Saturday morning she knew something was wrong. She continued saying she had checked the apartment three more times and didn’t see Tony until late Sunday morning. She thought he was sleeping soundly so she didn’t disturb him. She had realized that she should have done something Saturday or even Friday night when things didn’t seem right...it wasn’t like Tony to not acknowledge her. Then she remembered he hadn’t spoken at all. She said, ‘I should have called Special Agent Gibbs.’ Tony had given her his card for emergencies.

Mrs. DiMarco described the two men saying they were both slightly taller and heavier than Tony with military haircuts and a muscular built. McGee asked if she could describe them to a sketch artist, she said only the one who spoke to her directly. McGee called and made arrangements to get someone over ASAP.

McGee tried to assure her that this wasn’t her fault but she was distraught by the time he was ready to leave. He stayed with her a little longer until Ziva called. He promised he would let her know what Tony’s condition was once he had gotten more information. He hated leaving her in her current state but Gibbs wanted him back a NCIS.

The tech team had arrived shortly before he left and had already found a camera and two listening devices in Tony’s apartment. McGee handed one of them Tony’s cell phone and asked for a quick check. He knew everything there was to know about computers but these guys were experts at finding things that didn’t belong. The tech said, “There a bug in his cell which I’ve disabled, it appears to have an extremely long range like a GPS it uses satellite technology.”

McGee was stunned he said, “Government issue?” The tech said, “Yeah but mostly Black Opts, but those guys are like Marines…you know ‘Once a Marine always a Marine.’ They have their own underground network and they’re hard as hell to trace…somebody with some serious cash has been looking into Special Agent DiNozzo’s life.”

McGee nodded thoughtfully as he wondered, ‘Who?’ ‘And Why?’ He said, “Special Agent Gibbs will need a full report, I’ll take what you got now bring anything and everything else you find to NCIS Headquarters as soon as you’re done.” The tech handed over several evidence bags which McGee signed for…as he headed out he said, “Let the neighbor, Mrs. DiMarco know when you’re done she’ll lock up and make sure you leave everything is in place, Agent DiNozzo is going to be thoroughly pissed as it is when he finds out his life had been under a microscope.” The tech said, “On it Agent McGee,” as he headed out the door. He took a few minutes to call and filled Gibbs and Ziva in on what he had so far.

McGee noticed Mrs. DiMarco peeking out of her door so he said, “Tony is a very strong guy remember he survived the plague against all odds, he’ll be fine and we will find out who did this whatever this is,” with resolve and authority showing no doubt. Mrs. DiMarco gave him a small smile and nodded before closing her door.

McGee prayed to God he wasn’t lying to her or himself. Someone with a lot of money and some kind of hatred or resentment toward Tony had kidnapped and chemically tortured him. He decided that whoever it was would be sorry they laid a hand on his friend.

McGee checked in again with Ziva and said, “I’ll be there in about twenty minutes, have you gotten an update on Tony?” Ziva said, “No change they’re still running test.” “McGee, Abby is freaking-out Gibbs wouldn’t let her come to the hospital, you need to get here and floor her while she running test, she kicked me out of the lab and made most unpleasant threats.” McGee automatically corrected her saying, “You mean ‘ground her’ Ziva, I’ll get there as soon as possible,” as he pulled into traffic.
Gibbs pulled up in front of the Adams House Hotel and parked. McGee had filled him in on what Mrs. DiMarco had said and Ducked had called to report no changes with Tony. He had gotten Jeanne Benoit whereabouts from the surveillance team on her. He got a curious look from the doorman but was cordially welcomed. He walked up to the front desk, showed his ID and obtained Dr. Benoit suite number before heading for the elevator.

Gibbs had been informed that Jeanne had a two bedroom suite on the tenth floor. There was an unidentified younger woman with her obviously occupying the second room in her suite. He hadn’t been to Adams House since they worked that case involving a Saudi prince and his brother attempted murder.

The hotel was a haven for the wealthy; the rooms were as big as some apartment homes that cost up to thousands per day. Dr. Benoit’s father had provided for her well into the future. Rene’ Benoit made sure her inheritance was protected from any government penalty. He knocked on the door which was immediately opened. Jeanne Benoit greeted him saying, “Come in Agent Gibbs,” as she opened the door wider and ushered him toward a large sitting area after closing the door. She said, “Agent Gibbs how is Tony doing?”

Gibbs scrutinized her momentarily before saying, “Not good at all.” The tears barely held in Jeanne’s eyes escaped and rolled down her cheeks as she reached for a tissue. Gibbs gave her a minute to collect herself then he asked, “Dr. Benoit when was the last time you saw or talked to Tony?”
Jeanne said, “I haven’t seen Tony in about four and a-half years it was after that debacle I caused with the FBI accusing him of killing my father,” as Gibbs cringed remembering the way Tony reacted to the blatant lie. Jeanne cringed as well before saying, “I know it was cruel and stupid but I was just so angry with him.”

Jeanne sighed, thinking about all the mistakes she had made before completing her answer to Gibbs’ question. She said, “The last time I talked to him was a little over three weeks ago before your team went after the drug-smuggling ring.”

Gibbs eyebrows arched at that statement. He said, “How do you know about a classified operation, did Tony mention it,” already knowing he wouldn’t have. Jeanne straightens completely realizing her slip and knowing Tony never would have revealed a classified operation. She was trying to be open and honest with him but she messed up. She said, “Of course not, Tony wouldn’t ever do that, he just said he was going on assignment and then there’s this big drug bust all over the news involving the Navy weeks later.” Gibbs eyed her curiously, NCIS was never mentioned in any news reports and neither was the Navy…the reports said, ‘Members of the armed forces’, which he pointed out to Jeanne.

Jeanne sighed again before saying, “Ok, Agent Gibbs I have my own sources.” Gibbs said, “I see, were your sources the ones who planted cameras and listening devices in my agent’s apartment?” Gibbs could tell by the expression on her face she wasn’t responsible but she knew who was. McGee had also reported that info to him just before he entered the hotel. What was found in Tony’s apartment was very pricey equipment. Jeanne didn’t answer aloud but her expression was screaming.
Gibbs decided to test his theory that Jeanne knew who was behind this. He asked, “Were your sources the ones who kidnapped Tony on Friday night and tortured him over a twenty-four hour period?”

Jeanne startled and said, “No she wouldn’t do that, that’s crazy, no it couldn’t be true,” as she gasped at the thought.

Jeanne wondered had her mother really done this, was that Tony back in her lab at the facility. Was she injecting him with drugs to torture him…no, no it couldn’t be true.

Gibbs said, “She who?” as it dawned on him she was talking about her mother, Dr. Berkley.

******************************************

Dr. Berkley hated Tony, he remembered their first unfortunate meeting.

Dr. Berkley stormed over to Tony in the bullpen two days after the undercover operation fell apart and physically assaulted him before Ziva grabbed her from behind. She actually punched him with her fist hard enough to make him fall back and injure his shoulder. He was off balance from jumping up when he saw her charging toward him. He wasn’t expecting the physical violent. He was expecting a loud and embarrassing reaming but instead her fist flew up and connected with his jaw. He fell back and hit his back against the file cabinet wincing from the impact.

Dr. Berkley had screamed at him, ‘You fucking bastard no one treats my daughter like this and gets away with it,’ as she struggled to break Ziva’s hold. Tony recovered as McGee started reading her, her rights saying, ‘You’re under arrest for assaulting a Federal Agent and you have…,’ as Tony cut in and said, ‘No McGee.’ McGee looked from to Tony to me. I looked at Tony then nodded. I said,’ Ziva escort Dr. Berkley out of the building and inform security that she is banded for NCIS Headquarters as well as the Navy base.’ Ziva said, ‘But…,’ as I cut in and said, ‘But nothing Officer David that’s a direct order.’ Dr. Berkley screamed at Tony, ‘You’ll pay for this I promise you,’ as Ziva and McGee practically dragged her to the elevator. She shot Tony one final menacing glare before the doors closed.

Tony winced as he stood upright to his full height, his back had connected with the corner of the file cabinet and it hurt. I said, ‘Go have Ducky check your back.’ Tony said, ‘Sorry Boss,’ as he headed to autopsy. Tony was blaming himself for the whole situation with Jeanne so he accepted her mother’s anger.

Ducky had discovered a bad bruise on Tony’s shoulder blade but nothing else happened after the incident.

************************************************

Gibbs wondered had she waited four and a-half years to come after Tony and what had she done to him.

Gibbs heard something from one of the rooms to his left and jumped up. He turned toward the room fingering his weapon before he said, “Is there someone else here?” “Is it your mother?”

Jeanne jumped up as well and quickly walked over to the bedroom door Gibbs was eyeing. She folded her arms across her chest and said, “My mother isn’t here and I never mentioned my mother.”

Gibbs said, “Then who’s in that room?” Jeanne stiffed and said, “None of your business, you need to leave,” as sternly as she could muster. Gibbs said, “I’m not going anywhere until you tell me why you were at Tony’s apartment this morning,” he knew he didn’t have a legal leg to stand on but Jeanne was rattled and on the offensive so he pushed for answers.

Jeanne huffed in frustration before saying, “I was going to see Tony about his…,” pausing as another loud noise came from behind the door where she was standing distracting her.

Gibbs advanced toward her and she put her hand up to stop him before she said, “You don’t have any right to search my room without a warrant,” as the door flew open and a little grabbed her leg. Then a young lady appeared and said, “Sorry Dr. Benoit, Abrienne insisted on seeing you, I was playing with her but she heard you talking.” Jeanne said, “It’s ok Danielle.”

Gibbs looked down at the beautiful little girl with sparkling green eyes and chestnut brown hair. He looked Jeanne in the eyes and said, “DiNozzo’s?” to confirm what he already knew there was no mistaking Tony’s eyes in his daughter. DiNozzo had a daughter and apparently he didn’t know she existed.

Jeanne nodded then smiled down at her daughter as she fingered her hair gently before she kneeled down beside her daughter and said, “Sweetie this is Agent Gibbs, you can say hello.”
Abrienne smiled at Gibbs and said, “Hello Agent,” as she extended her tiny hand. Gibbs smiled back and gently took her hand and shook slightly. He said, “Nice to meet you Abrienne,” as he kneeled down to her eye level.

She said, “My daddy is Agent too, you know my daddy?”

Gibbs looked at Jeanne who nodded her approval. He said, “Yes I do sweetheart,” as he stood back up.

Jeanne lifted her daughter and handed her to the young lady patiently watching the exchange between them. Jeanne said, “Danielle please take Abrienne and get her changed.” Danielle took the little girl in her arms said, “Yes Ma’am,” as she smiled at Gibbs while Abrienne waved goodbye, re-entered the room and closed the door.

Gibbs looked Jeanne in the eyes again and said, “He doesn’t know about her does he?” She said, “No that’s why I was going to see him this morning.” “I arrived at Tony’s apartment at the same time as the ambulance…so I waited…I didn’t know it was him until he was loaded on the
ambulance.”

Gibbs said, “Why do you think your mother has something to do with what happened to Tony?”

Jeanne walked back over to the couch and sat down before saying, “I haven’t mentioned anything about my mother.” Gibbs said, “No but yours eyes did, your mother attacked Tony before.” She said, “What are you talking about?” He said, “It was years ago but she threaten to make him pay for wronging you.” “Nothing happened that we’re aware of but now you come in to town to tell Tony he’s a father and he kidnapped.” “I don’t believe in coincidence, we both know how much your mother hates Tony.” “Jeanne, Tony is suffering and he could die if we don’t find out what happened to him.”

Jeanne whispered, “Dying?”

TBC