- Text Size +
SCORNED
Chapter Twelve ��" More Answers

Dr. Pitt finally remembered the name that had eluded him all day. After Tony’s last episode the words he had read flashed in his mind. The similarities between Tony’s symptoms and the test subjects in the article were no coincidence, it was Dr. Sandra Berkley. Dr. Berkley was a world famous Neurosurgeon but there was another reason he knew her name, he just couldn’t recall at the moment. He was so worried about Tony, the brutal assaults on his body was affecting his heart and lungs. The pain level was so intense it elevated his heart rate and made it hard for to breathe. He was losing fluid as quickly as they could get them in him and there was no way to speed up the drip. And then as if there wasn’t enough to deal with Tony rippled the IV out twice…it was an accident but it didn’t lessen the problem it produced. They had to use restrains to restrict his movement. He was amazed by Tony’s tolerance level, though he couldn’t manage to say much he was completely aware and coherent.

Brad didn’t think he being able to achieve such a feat.

He found the article he had been searching for which was about using a combination of drugs for chemical torture. The research was military backed and Dr. Berkley was the primary. The drugs were injected into the subject to induce excruciating pain to break them and render them more pliable for lack of a best word.

The procedure was as brutal as its results the subject would receive numerous injections in almost every part of their body. He couldn’t imagine Tony handling numerous injections, he hated needles but who could blame him. He told him the phobia was his doing after all he was the who made him a human pincushion when he was treating him for the plaque. That explained why there were traces of heavy sedatives in his blood.

Tolerance to pain varied but there was no human being on earth who didn’t have limits. Dr. Berkley’s procedures were meant to push her subjects to their limits and have them begging for relief which they got when they were ready to divulge the information the interrogator was seeking. He discovered that was accomplished with an antidote that was used to stall the effect of the procedure; otherwise it would be very difficult to talk.

Tony’s symptoms were there in the report but some weren’t. He thought to himself, ‘There was something else but what?’ He continued to read over the information that had been released but it didn’t include any specifics because of the nature of the research. He stood up and headed for is office door he needed to get the original reports and if anybody could make that happen it was Gibbs but he needed to go check on Tony. He sudden remembered who Dr. Sandra Berkley was…she was Jeanne Benoit’s mother. All the pieces fell in place this was her doing she hated Tony the differences were designed to hide her involvement. He grabbed his phone and called Gibbs.

Tony had talked to him about the ill-fainted undercover assignment in confidence after ‘the shit had hit the fan.’ He had never seen Tony so despondent and broken hearted. He had told him how both Jeanne and her mother had retaliated against him. He said he could handle the physical stuff her mother dished out…he never told Gibbs about the beating he took before he managed to get away from the thugs she hired. The cracked ribs were hard to hide but Gibbs believed him when he told him Tony needed to rest to avoid another relapse. It wasn’t a total lie he hadn’t been sleeping or eating much. Tony was angry at himself for betraying everyone he cared for and the coolness that Jeanne had displayed was almost too much.

***********************************************

Jeanne said, “My mother has a research facility just over the Stateline I’m not sure but she may have had Tony there on Saturday, she was acting suspicious and she wouldn’t anywhere near the back,” as she walked over to the desk against the far wall. She removed a tablet and wrote down an address and handed it to Gibbs.

Gibbs flipped his phone open and said, “McGee take this address down and get it checked out.”

McGee said, “I’m on it Boss…,” as he heard Gibbs said, “No, I want you on Dr. Sandra Berkley I need to know everything you can find out about her and her research , if you hit any road blocks have the Director get you clearance.” McGee said, “Isn’t that Jeanne’s mother…” which received no response so he said, “On it Boss,” as he typed the name into his search engine. He then said, ”Boss, Abby thinks she has identified one of the drugs in Tony’s system that may be traceable which she’s working on, she also said it has some pretty nasty side-effects.” Gibbs said, “Report back to me as soon as you get anything,” and abruptly ended the call before turning his attention back to Jeanne. She said, “If my mother used that stuff on Tony…oh God how could she.” “Agent Gibbs I don’t have any details I only know about the intended results and…” as Gibbs interrupted her.

He said, “Do you really care about Tony and what happens to him?”

Jeanne said, “Yes, I love him and don’t think that will ever change.” “I want him to meet his daughter.”

Gibbs could see the true in her eyes so he said, “Then help me, help him…tell me where your mother is.” Jeanne hesitated a moment then said, “I can’t…,” and before she could finish Gibbs growled, moved in closer and grabbed her shoulders in the brink of an eye like he wanted to shake the information out of her. She was startled by his actions but managed to continue saying, “It’s not because I don’t want to, it’s because I don’t know.” “We argued about Tony all day Sunday, I accused her of doing something to hurt him which she denied.” “I knew she was lying by the way she was acting but I couldn’t make her admit anything…the argument just escalated from there until she left last night on her jet.” “I asked but she wouldn’t tell me where she was going,” as she stared at him still holding her tightly in place. She thought to herself, ‘How much Tony motivated such strong emotions in everyone that knew him.’

Gibbs sudden realized what he was doing and released her and backed away. He inward signed thinking that was outline. He was so worried about Tony he wasn’t thinking, he said, “I’m sorry… can you tell me which airport?”

Jeanne looked at him with empathy and said, “You didn’t hurt me…and it wasn’t at an airport it a private landing stripe in Virginia owned by her friend Dr. Ellis Spencer that’s where the jet was parked after we landed weeks ago...” Gibbs said, “Weeks ago?” as he opened his phone.

Gibbs called McGee who answered after one ring saying, “I was just about to call Boss we can’t locate Dr. Berkley but we got her research documentation and if this is what happened to Tony he’s in real trouble without the antidote,” in a flurry of words before he took a deep breath and sighed. Gibbs said, “Get the file over to Dr. Pitt and Dr. Berkley has a jet which left from a landing strip in Virginia owned by a Dr. Ellis Spencer have the flight tracked immediately.”

McGee said, “On it Boss…call Abby she’s got something.”

Gibbs said, “I’ll meet you at the hospital,” as another call was coming in which he answered saying, “Gibbs.” Pitt said, “It was…” as Gibbs interrupted saying, “Dr. Berkley, Jeanne Benoit mother.” Pitt said, “Of course you found out…I need her original research…Tony can’t possibly take much more of this, there’s an antidote.” Gibbs said, “McGee mentioned that he is on his way with the file and Abby found something…I’ll see what she’s found and head back.” Pitt said, “Hurry Gibbs.” Gibbs said, “Brad take care of Tony until we get there Dr. Berkley wasn’t working alone.”
Brad said, “You think they’re try something here.” Gibbs said, “Until we get all the facts I’m not taking any chances.” Brad hung up and ran for Tony’s room…yelling, “Security…Isolation B,” as he passed the nurses’ station. He knew Ducky hadn’t left Tony’s side but better safe than sorry.

Michaels discovered DiNozzo was in Isolation B and that he was suffering through severe episodes of pain. Dr. Berkley had skewed up in her calculations…her timetable was shot to hell this wasn’t supposed to be happening. Nothing was going as planned and DiNozzo could die if he didn’t get him the antidote according to his records the intensity of the pain was affecting his heart and lungs. His lungs being affected that was a given but his heart…well considering the prolonged elevated heart rate that was a given too. The human heart could be seriously damaged if that continued. Cooper wasn’t pleased as he explained the situation…he didn’t want to spend the rest of his life on the run from Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs for letting Anthony DiNozzo die but he didn’t want to sacrifice Michaels either but as it was he was choice-less.

Michaels understood what he needed to do as he headed to DiNozzo room. When he arrived the room was empty except for DiNozzo and the NCIS ME Dr. Mallard. DiNozzo appeared to be sleep but it was restless.

He was covered in sweat and shivering slightly. According to the monitors his heart rate, temperature and blood pressure were all elevated. He approached the bed and picked up the electronic chart which confirmed the medical records. Dr. Mallard who had been with Tony for the duration didn’t recognize him so he said, “You’re new I haven’t seen you here before and I thought I had meet all of Dr. Pitt’s team,” as he stood and walked toward him. Michaels said, “I’m uh…I usually work a later shift just thought I would see what I would be up against tonight.” Ducky thought his response odd so he watched him carefully as he checked Tony’s vitals. Michaels needed to make the injection but Dr. Mallard was watching him like a hawk. He angled has large body to block the doctor’s view and pulled out the syringe.

Michaels was about to make his move went the door burst open and Dr. Pitt yelled, “Back the fuck off,” just as Gibbs and McGee entered the room with their weapons drawn. Four soldiers were on their heels poised with weapons drawn as well ready to fire at Gibbs command. Dr. Mallard backed away out of the line of fire.

Gibbs said, “I suggest you listen to Dr. Pitt,” as he moved in. Michaels lifted his hands above his head still holding the syringe. Brad looked to Gibbs and he nodded, he walked over and took the syringe from Michaels hand.

Gibbs motioned with his weapon for Michaels to come toward him. He immediately complied and moved to the end of Tony’s bed. Tony suddenly woke up as he had done several times during the long day in the throes of severe physical pain. Dr. Pitt said, “Dammit not now,” as he tightens the restrains on Tony which they used after he had rippled another IV out. He then directly his attention and said, “What’s in this syringe?” as Tony started the struggle against the restrains.

Michaels hesitated and Gibbs told the security team to hold position outside. They lowered their weapons and exited the room as Gibbs and McGee moved in closer to Michaels. He gave Michaels one of his classical glares and said, “What in that syringe? Michaels looked at DiNozzo straining to escape as the monitors when crazy.

He said, “It’s the antidote…I was about to give it to Tony.” McGee angrily said, “Agent DiNozzo’s friends can call him Tony and that doesn’t include you, why should we believe you?” as Gibbs looked at him proudly.
Tony could hear the conversation going on around him...the guy said ‘antidote’ he wanted that but Gibbs, Brad and Tim were hesitating.

Brad walked away and Ducky stepped in his line of sight…he needed to get the antidote he was so tired of the pain. This was worse than the plaque, when he coughed he felt like he was dying but right now everything hurt even his hair. Ducky was watching and listening to Brad he needed his attention but the restrains restricted any movement…he hadn’t tried to dislodge either IV.

Brad said, “I’ve seem you here we’ve work together, you’re a PA, Medic, Michaels right?” Michaels was surprised by Dr. Pitt’s recognition. He said, “Yes, now give DiNozzo the antidote he’s suffered enough.”
Tony yelled, ‘Yes’ but it was only in his mind…the pain was worsening as usual the longer he remained awake.

Tony remembered the mouth piece that was keeping him from breaking his teeth but it was also preventing him from speaking. Stage two would start soon which meant the pain would intensify until his body shut-down.

He wondered if he could push the mouth piece out as a wave of pain coursed through his body at break-neck speed and just as painful. He inwardly yelled, ‘Please just give me the injection…’ as another hard pain took his breath away.

Michaels kept his eyes on DiNozzo when he saw his seize he frantically yelled, “He needs oxygen and that shot now!!!” turning everyone’s attention toward Tony.

Dr. Pitt looked to Gibbs for permission who looked to Ducky…

Michaels huffed and said, “Do you want him to die?”

McGee said, “Boss?”

Gibbs pressed his gun to Michaels’ temple and said, “Do it Brad…” Dr. Pitt injected the content of the syringe into Tony’s IV and turned up the drip.

Michaels thought to himself ‘If Angie was lying I’m dead.’

Everyone’s eyes were on Tony waiting for a reaction.

TBC