- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony is improving but he's still in danger. Jeanne has the key to helping him but doesn't know it's in her possession.
SCORNED
Chapter Thirteen - Recovery?

Gibbs watched as the oddly colored liquid traveled the short distance and entered Tony’s bloodstream while his weapon was still pressed firmly against Michaels’ temple. He was so angry about this whole situation it was effecting his judgment…he knew what he was doing was wrong. Holding a gun to a suspect’s head was against more regulations than he could name, but he needed something to contain his rage. He wanted to hit someone or break something. Tony didn’t deserve this not after all the pain he had already suffered through but here he was again caught up in someone’s sick game.

Dr. Berkley was clearly insane, how she could do this to her grandchild’s father was beyond his realm of understanding.

Almost twenty minutes had passed and nothing.

Michaels closed his eyes and prayed, he had no doubt Gibbs would carry out exactly what he was threatening if DiNozzo’s condition didn’t improve soon…he knew the gun pressed to his head was there because Gibbs was making a point. The man lying before them was important to Gibbs and if something didn’t happen soon someone would pay…he was hoping it wasn’t him and that Angie hadn’t lied.

The long agonizing minutes of waiting for some sign the antidote was working was getting to everyone.

Doctors Pitt and Mallard were both hovering over Tony checking his vitals and watching all the monitors like hawks. Dr. Pitt checked Tony’s vitals for the third or fourth time as Ducky looked from him to the monitors. Tony’s heart rate had started to return to normal and his breathing was evening out but his temperature was still evaluated. Brad had removed the restrains and the oxygen mask…after which he removed the protective mouth piece. He put the oxygen mask back in place and pulled out his stethoscope.

Brad listened to Tony’s lungs carefully checking for any blockage. Even though, Tony breathing was steadily improving his oxygen levels were still off by more than what he was comfortable with.

Dr. Pitt turned to Michaels and said, “How does this antidote work?” “What should we expect?”

Michaels tensed, he didn’t know the answer all he knew about the antidote was what Angie had said…and one other thing that that wasn’t what they wanted to hear. Gibbs tensed and gave Michaels a less than gentle nudge with the barrel of his gun. Michaels said, “I’m not sure…” as Tony groaned then slowly opened his eyes drawing everyone’s attention to him…he squinted at the bright lights above his head.

Tony felt a little disoriented but the pain level he had been experiencing had reduced to manageable but the lights were much too bright. He lifted his arm and laid it across his eyes to block them. They made the headache he was sporting worse and his eyes were hurting. The pain in his eyes wasn’t like before when it felt like needles piercing his retinas, but it was bad enough to make him wince.

Tony’s body had relaxed after another few minutes and the constant trembling he had been enduring slowed to a stop as the tension in his muscles finally eased.

McGee said, “Tony I’ll get the light,” as he walked over to the wall and flipped the switch controlling the lights directly over his bed. Tony took a couple deep breathes before he moved his arm and pulled the oxygen mask away with Brad’s help. Brad’s smile widened at Tony’s expression went from was somewhere between ‘what the hell’ and ‘what are you smiling at’ as Brad touched his forehead which was still warm to his touch.

Tony paused wondering if his voice was even working his throat was dry and scratchy. He said, “Thanks Tim,” in a raspy whisper which sounded odd to his own ears. Tim nodded as Ducky smiled and said, “Anthony good to have you back with us,” as he looked at him guardedly. Tony tried to clear his throat but it just made it hurt he said, “Thanks Ducky,” ignoring the discomfort as he looked at Gibbs and the man with the gun to his head at the foot of his bed.

Tony’s arched his eyebrow in uncertainty as he said, “Boss is everything okay,” in a still raspy but slightly louder voice. Tony recognized the guy as one of the Physician Assistants’ he had seen on one or two occasions when he had appointments with Brad at the hospital. Michaels inwardly sighed as the weapon was lowered and released the breath he had been holding since DiNozzo groaned and opened his eyes.

Gibbs gave Tony a rare public smile and said, “Shouldn’t I be asking you that question?” as he walked closer to the head of the bed and rustled Tony’s already wayward hair as relief flooded his body. Tony was like a son to him even though their age different was only around fifteen years, he and Tony hit it off the first day they meet. It wasn’t obvious at to anyone else but it soon became apparent they would have a long lasting relationship.

Tony ‘grew’ on him faster than any agent he had ever worked with. Tony needed someone to watch his back and look after him. Gibbs needed someone to look after so things worked perfectly, the better they got to know each other the closer they became. Tony needed a ‘father figure’ in his life and Gibbs needed someone to fill the void in his. Gibbs hated seeing Tony in pain.

Tony whispered, “My head hurts but I think I’m okay ‘Dad’,” as he gave him a weak smile.

Gibbs smirked knowing Tony was referring to his overly protective behavior as he said, “You better be.” He nodded at McGee who cuffed Michaels’ hands behind his back and ushered him out the door. Gibbs said, “You had me pretty worried.” “Do you remember anything about what happened to you after you left NCIS headquarters Friday night?”

**************************************************

Michaels could see the relief in Gibbs eyes and the genuine concern he showed for DiNozzo. The father-son dynamic they shared was clearly real…as they watched DiNozzo’s movements they witnessed the visits to Gibbs home with pizza and beer in hand. They also noticed how frequently he crashed on the ‘Boss’ couch while they worked hard cases. McGee ignoring the size different between himself and Michaels pushed him into a corner snapping him out of his thoughts and said, “You better pray Tony recovers completely because I wouldn’t want to be you if he doesn’t,” with a suppressed growl. Michaels inwardly thought just how right McGee was…he and Cooper never ignored their instincts but they let greed supersede commonsense. When Dr. Berkley approached them with the job they should have walked away…the moment they knew a Federal Agent was the target but the obscene amount of money she was offering them meant retirement. They put stipulations on how far they would go…meaning no permanent harm would come to the target but things didn’t work out as planned and they were all screwed…now there only option was to run.

*********************************************************

Tony said, “Everything is really fuzzy Boss,” as he winced at what felt like a needle being jabbed into his temple. Gibbs looked up a Dr. Pitt and said, “What just happened,” as he watched Tony massaging his temple but before Brad could respond Tony said, “Don’t know Boss,” as a wave of nausea made him swallow hard. After the pain passed he said, “Please need to, breathing hard before continuing…I need to sit up?”

Brad immediately pressed a button and the bed lifted slowly to a semi-sitting position. Brad then pulled his light scope out and checked both of Tony eyes. He said, “Tony is a migraine coming on?” Tony said, “Not sure but my head hurts pretty bad and I feel kinda nauseated,” as he winced again and closed him eyes.

Tony’s honesty surprised Gibbs not because Tony lied to him but he was notorious for understating when he was in pain…he hadn’t replied with his patterned ‘I’m fine,’ which meant things hadn’t improved as much as they all hoped. He was still in a lot of pain…the ambiguity in his voice was telling, Tony was feeling something he didn’t understand.

Tony was more analytical than most would think as long as he understood the origins of something he could deal with it whatever it was but this was different. There was all this pain and he didn’t know why he was experiencing it there were gaps in his memory and that bothered him more than he was willing to admit to anyone…even Gibbs.

Ducky said, “Perhaps we should allow Anthony to get some rest and then he can answer some questions.”

Dr. Pitt said, “I agree we should let Tony get some rest and I need to run some additional blood tests so I can track the effects of that so called antidote.”

Gibbs said, “Tony we’ll be back later you get some rest,” as he squeezed his shoulder gently and Tony said, “On it Boss.” Tony hated worrying Gibbs and he was definitely worried holding a loaded gun to a man’s head was extreme even for him. He wanted to tell him what he remembered but his head was throbbing and his throat hurt…maybe some sleep would help. The excruciating pain had eased to dull aches and infrequent twinges and at least he was able to breathe without wanting to scream and but he was just so damn tired. Apparently that thirty six hours of sleep he was seeking didn’t happen.

Gibbs headed toward the door but he stopped mid-stride and looked back at Tony who gave him a weak smile. They both knew things weren’t quite right.
Ducky said, “I’m going to check on Abigail she’s supposed to have some results that may be useful.” “That antidote seems a bit too good to be true,” as he and Dr. Pitt covered Tony with a sheet and tried to make him more comfortable.

Brad said, “You get that too…Ducky that antidote worries me it just…I don’t know something about it.” “Tony’s still in more pain than he exhibiting I could see it in his eyes.” “I don’t like that he still has a headache and the nausea that’s accompanying it is usually a sign of a migraine but this seems worse.” “His temperature is still 101 and that’s not good either.”

Tony seemed to have fallen asleep and his breathing and oxygen levels were continuing to improve but Brad wanted, needed more information on that so called ‘antidote’ and something about it was bugging him.

Ducky nodded and said, “I agree all of that is most troubling, McGee laid the research report on the table there,” as he point to a large file. “You take a look at that and perhaps as I said Abigail can shed some additional light on what we’re dealing with,” as he gave him a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder and said, “I’m sure you’ll figure this out,” as he headed out the door.

Dr. Pitt picked up the phone, called the nurses’ station and ordered additional blood test. He then called his assistant and instructed him to cancel or cover any obligations he had scheduled for the next few days. He was going to give his undivided attention to Tony’s case. He looked at Tony and said, “I know you’re not sleep,” as he grabbed the file.

Tony said, “I’m trying but everything still hurts, especially my head…,” before he gritted his teeth. Brad tossed the file on the recliner in the corner he was heading for and said, “Tony talk to me?” as Tony grabbed his arm in a bruising grip. He winced from the pain but didn’t try to pull away. Tony released him after a few minutes and grasped for air as tears escaped his closed eyes.

Brad said, “Tony tell me what happened,“ as he rubbed the red area on his arm and checked the monitors. His oxygen levels were up so he didn’t stop Tony as he pushed the oxygen mask away.

Tony’s chest was rising and falling as he tried to relax his body. He whispered, “Needles,” as he opened his eyes and tried to focus. Brad said, “Tony, I need you to concentrate and tell me what happened,” as he checked his eyes again and pushed his hair back from his forehead subconsciously checking his temperature.

Tony’s throat was dry and he needed water but he avoided asking for it afraid it would cause him to vomit from the nausea. He looked at Brad but before he could decide to chance taking a drink Brad lifted his head slightly and pressed a cup to his lips as he said, “Sip slowly.” He did as instructed letting the cool liquid trickle down his parched throat. His stomach flip flopped unpleasantly and he stopped. Brad lowered his head to the pillow and said, “Better?” He nodded slightly. Brad said, “Good now talk to me.”

Tony said, “It felt like when you were treating me after the plaque…the constant injections, the needles but they were everywhere at the same time,” as he suddenly shivered from a mental replay. Brad said, “Must have been extremely painful if that grip on my arm was any indication.”
Tony said, “Sorry I felt like…like I was falling needed something to hold on to.” “It’s was weird, I haven’t felt like that since I was a kid.” Brad could see the grief in Tony eyes, he had told him above the reoccurring dreams that followed his mother’s death when he was a child.

Tony said, “Brad,” getting his attention before continuing, “Tell Gibbs there were two of them about six feet, four inches or more, around two hundred fifty pounds of muscle, same height and built as Michaels.” “I didn’t see their faces.” ”They flanked me on both sides, rubbed something on my neck that burned before I could react, too damn tired to even turn the key, my eyelid felt like lead all of a sudden.” “Then nothing until I felt really cold, my chest hurt so bad I thought,” as everywhere...all over my entire body…everywhere,” as the replay again made him shiver. He then said, “I was in this fog and I couldn’t stop them.”

Tony cringed as he said, “I felt like I was being violated,” as the vague memories made him tremble and his breath hitch painfully.

Brad said, “Tony easy it’s ok…take a deep breath and try to relax…you’re safe here.”

Tony sighed, he hated feeling vulnerable but he couldn’t help it the flashes of memories had rattled.

Brad said, “I’ll tell Gibbs, what you remembered, anything else?” but it was too late Tony had done exactly as instructed relax and dozed off never hearing the question. Brad checked the monitors and whispered, “That’s good you get some rest we’re figure this out I promise,” as he looked at his friend filled with apprehension hoping he wasn’t lying. Brad inwardly thought, ‘Tony doesn’t deserve any of this and I’m going to fix this one-way or another.’

Brad walked toward the door when he noticed Gibbs was still outside talking to Michaels as McGee looked on. He stepped outside and signaled for McGee to come over. He passed on what Tony had said before he returned to the room and closed the door behind him. He could see Tony was really sleeping this time so he sat down in the recliner, turned on the reading light, and opened the research file. He began to read as he thought, ‘let’s see what you were up to Dr. Berkley.’

***************************************************

Gibbs told the guards to make transportation arranges to take Michaels to NCIS Headquarters. Then he pulled Michaels to the side and said, “We already know you were working for Dr. Sandra Berkley, I need to know where she is and exactly what she did to Agent DiNozzo.” Michaels didn’t response he just stood at attention looking straight ahead.

Gibbs said, “Marine why, would you involve yourself in the kidnapping of a Federal Agent?” Michaels lifted eyebrow told Gibbs he was reading the man right. He said, “At ease Marine,” and Michaels complied assuming the position without even thinking like any good Marine. He inward sighed at his reaction but he never disobeyed a Gunny Sergeant’s order…too many years in the military had conditioned him to accept and obey.

Gibbs arched his eyebrow and said, “At some point you decided you didn’t like what was happening to Agent DiNozzo and you risked getting caught to help him…I need to know where Dr. Berkley is and what she did to him...we both know he’s not out of danger.” Michaels knew he had to proceed carefully and give up just enough information to help without betraying his team. Cooper would save him if he could they had an exit plan in place.

Michaels looked Gibbs in the eyes and said, “I didn’t know she was insane…she injected him with several drugs and something happened with his lungs and he almost died twice.” “Her assistant a young lady named Angie was about to give him the antidote during one of episodes when Berkley stopped her, I grabbed it just in case.” “I told her upfront I wouldn’t be involved in the death of a Federal Agent.” “I heard DiNozzo was brought here so I tried to get him the antidote, Berkley didn’t know I took it.” “I’m really not exactly sure how it works…Angie wasn’t very forthcoming.”

Gibbs listened as the highly trained Marine carefully told him what he wanted him to know without implicating anyone else other than Berkley and her assistant Angie. Michaels main concern right now was protecting his team and Gibbs main concern was finding out exactly what was done to one of his team member’s, Tony didn’t deserve any of this. Gibbs could tell by the well chosen words and bits of information, Michaels was covering. He said, “Michaels right?” as he nodded. He then asked, “What is you’re not telling me.” “What is this Angie’s last name and where is she?”

Michaels said, “I never found out and I don’t know.” “And before you ask again I don’t know where Dr. Berkley is, the last time I saw her she was with her daughter Jeanne Benoit.” Gibbs said, “Where exactly was that?”
“Was it at the medical facility across the state line?” as he inwardly smirked at Michaels’ expression. Michaels hesitated thinking ‘Cooper had said that he and Kelley had made sure the facility was sanitized a couple days ago,’ but he wanted to double check…he wasn’t sure that was even possible. Gibbs team was already working a lot faster than they expected. He had tried to school his expression but he knew Gibbs picked-up on it immediately.

McGee said, “Boss ,” as he walked over and whispered what Dr. Pitt had passed on from Tony with his back turned to Michaels.

Gibbs listened as he watched Michaels, who matched Tony’s description perfectly...which meant he was just one of the two kidnappers who took Tony. Michaels was hesitating for the second time. He now knew there was at least one other man working with him of the same stature. He leaned in and told McGee to run all known associates. McGee said, “Already done Boss, I’ll have to go outside and retrieve the information for my laptop,” as he walked away and nodded at the guards.

Michaels was huge compared to McGee only by a couple inches in height but he seriously outweighed both him and Gibbs. The man was two hundred and fifty pounds of pure muscle, he knew Gibbs was more than capable of taking him down if necessary but he wasn’t taking any chances all it took was a nod to reposition the guards.

Gibbs felt another twinge of guilt knowing he had pushed Tony too far…they never would have taken him so easily if he was at the top of his game.
Tony had improved his fighting skills over the years and he may or may not have been able to take them both down but at least he would have had a chance. He had seem Tony take down three bigger men during an arrest before it cost him a broken rib and a punctured lung but the other guys faired a lot worse.

Tony was more than capable of holding his own in a fight but a pissed and determined Tony was a suspect’s worst nightmare.

Gibbs wasn’t offended by McGee actions. The two Marines who remained as the others went to make transportation arrangements moved over next to Michaels flanking him on both sides daring him to make a threatening move.

Danielle listened closely as Jeanne called the hospital for the third time. She wasn’t able to get any information. She continued to listen as a frustrated Jeanne spoke aloud, “I can’t just sit and wait, I need to know how Tony was doing,” as she paced back and forth. She still couldn’t believe her mother had done such horrible things to her granddaughter’s father. She had read over her mother’s note and figure out the subject she was referring to was Tony is wasn’t obvious but there was enough physical information to draw the conclusion. It wasn’t like her mother to leave anything about her work lying around…but there is was just sitting there for her to read.

The heated argument that followed carried over to the next day and resulted in her mother’s departure or so it seemed. The truth was her mother wanted to gloat before she made her escape. Her mother couldn’t resist ‘sticking the knife in and twisting it’ and her mother called her father evil.
Jeanne picked up her cell and called Sims her driver and instructed him to be out front in fifteen minutes. Jeanne Benoit was determined to see Tony no matter what Agent Gibbs said. She called out to Danielle and said, “I going out for awhile text me if you or Abrienne need anything,” as

Abrienne ran out and leaped into her arms.

Abrienne said, “Mommy I go too,” as she clung to Jeanne’s neck burying her face in the crook. Jeanne squeezed her daughter tightly against her. She understood how her daughter was feeling. She wasn’t being much of a mother, uprooting her life and neglecting her. She was so worried about Tony she had let Danielle take her place in her’s daughter’s life.

*************************************************************

Danielle quickly texted a message to her father, Cooper…which read,
'Benoit heading to Bethesda.’ Danielle didn’t like spying on Dr. Benoit she liked her, her daughter and the job but her father wouldn’t ask to do anything that wasn’t important. She closed her phone and hurried after Abrienne.

Cooper looked at his cell as Sims turned to him and said, “What’s the plan Boss?” Cooper said, “Recon, I should have heard from Michaels by now.” “Dr. Benoit wants to go to the hospital make it happen…try to make contact with Michaels.” “Gibbs’ team is living up to their repetition they located the facility.” “He had people there when Kelley and I arrived.” “I don’t think we missed anything earlier but just in case we need to move.” “Danielle said Gibbs talked Jeanne out of the address almost immediately.”

Cooper inwardly ‘shook his head’ thinking back on all the mistakes he made…the first being taking the job in the first place.

Sims said, “Exit plan.” Cooper said, “Yes, but first we need to wrap-up some loose ends and I need to check in with Danielle, my daughter can decide what she wants to do…I won’t force her to go underground there’s nothing to connect us.” “And then there’s DiNozzo…we have to make sure he’s alright…the test results on those drugs are due back shortly, my chemist said their one component he’s having trouble indentifying …you get going, check in as soon as possible.”

Sims said, “On it Boss,” as he left heading for the Adams House Hotel.

Abby Sciuto’s emotions were all over the place, she was angry, annoyed, irritated, exasperated and aggravated.

The nurse behind the desk was returning her glare.They had been arguing for the last ten minutes. Abby was demanding to see Agent Anthony DiNozzo and the nurse was telling her why that wasn’t going to happen even though they were co-workers. No one was able to see Agent DiNozzo without proper authorized and there was no Abby or Abigail Sciuto on the list.

Abby explained how it must have been an oversight but the nurse wasn’t budging.

Abby couldn’t believe they forgot to put her on the list but it was just adding to the bad day she was having. Tony hadn’t come down to lab to see her on Monday morning before 8am to greet her with his dazzling smile and a Caf-Pow, then she finds out he hadn’t shown up for work. Then they find his unconscious, barely breathing and burning up with fever. Then Gibbs wouldn’t let her come to the hospital. And then the chemicals she found in Tony’s blood were toxic…the potential they possessed for inflicting extreme pain were off the charts.

Abby had to tell Dr. Pitt what he was dealing with or Tony was in for a world of hurt.

When Ducky exited the elevator, he saw a clearly irritated and agitated Abby at the nurses’ station in emergency where Tony was originally brought in…glaring at the on-duty nurse.

Ducky walked up beside her and said, “Abby.” “Abby.” When she didn’t react to him he said, “Abigail!” trying to draw her attention. “Abigail come with me and leave the nice young lady along.”

Abby startled and turned to glare at an unfazed Ducky and growled, “She wouldn’t tell me where Tony is, she wouldn’t even tell me how he’s doing and she’s not nice.” Ducky said, “Now Abigail the young lady is only following procedures…come with me.” Abby huffed and said, “Stop calling me Abigail, Ducky you know I don’t like to be called that and how could you guys leave me off the authorized visitors list.”

Ducky said, “If was merely an oversight, we were so concerned with young Anthony…things got a bit muddled.” “Well young lady I did say Abby twice and I need your undivided attention and calling you Abigail seems to work…we have a job to do.” “Anthony is resting now and his condition has improved a bit but he’s needs our help he’s far from well.”

Abby said, “I know Ducky…I know…can I see Tony?” Ducky stopped, gave her a cautious smile and said, “I’m not sure you want to see him just yet.” Abby looked hurt but she understood, seeing Tony right now might not be wise considering she needed to concentrate on helping Dr. Pitt help him. She nodded, shot a disapproving look at the nurse and followed Ducky to the elevators.

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry this has taken so long but real life doesn't aways allow time for fun.