- Text Size +
SCORNED - Chapter Two

Morgan returned to the privacy of his office and set up a secured connection to NCIS Headquarters in Washington, DC. His called was routed to Director Leon Vance. He proceeded to fill the Director in on his findings making sure to mention how DiNozzo’s checklist had lead him there. He said, “Sir, I’m going to need some discreet help and soon we are scheduled to dock soon.”

Director Vance agreed with his assessment so he was sending his best team. Vance had checked over the information Morgan forwarded and discovered an ‘in’ before calling Special Agents Gibbs and DiNozzo to his office.

Vance apologized for the lack of downtime between cases but the Carrier ship was due to dock in less than fifteen days. Gibbs and DiNozzo were given the details and copies of Morgan’s files. They were then told the team had approximately three hours to get packed before they reported to MTAC for a complete briefing. Where they would be issued their cover ID’s and everything else they needed to proceed with the operation.

Gibbs’ team would then report to transportation and broad the ship under the guise of Regulations Inspectors doing a previously scheduled inspection that was postponed due to deaths Agent Hammond and the two seamen. The inspection was canceled to make way for a NCIS investigation.

The lead agent from that investigation had his suspicions as well but there wasn’t any concrete evident to support his suspicions…so the case was reluctantly closed and classified as accidental deaths.

Gibbs turned to Tony and said, “DiNozzo go brief Ziva and McGee make sure they know when to report back.” “Double check the arrangements then go get yourself ready.” DiNozzo nodded and said, “On it Boss,” as he stood nodded at the Director and exited the office. Senior Field Agent Anthony DiNozzo was less than pleased.

Tony DiNozzo was exhausted and the hard kicks he had taken his chest and abdomen made his entire body ache. His muscles always ached when he let himself get rundown…the pain seemed to linger for days. And he was definitely rundown and he was definitely in for days of pain. Although it had been several years since he had the plaque the scar tissue that formed and damaged his lungs still remained to taunt him especially when he got into tussles with suspects that couldn’t accept the inevitable. Most of the time he managed pretty well and his lungs didn’t bother him as long as he kept up with his treatments, ate healthy and didn’t over do…which wasn’t an easy task most days.

Tony was working out regularly and running at least eight miles a day to build-up his stamina when he had time…but cases like this one didn’t allow for one’s personal needs. There was little time to rest, he wasn’t eating properly or getting any real exercise unless you considered tracking down leads and chasing down stupid suspects. His hour long respiratory treatments prescribed by Dr. Pitt after the bout with pneumonia he had after diving into a freezing bay to rescue Gibbs and his daughter Kelly’s childhood friend…had been reduced to fifteen or twenty minutes or completely ignored. Dr. Pitt had even called him because he noticed his refills hadn’t been used and were way overdue.

Dr. Pitt had read him the riot act reminding him of how he nearly killed himself performing CPR on two people with damaged lungs. Not the mention the freezing bacteria filled water that entered said lungs. Tony tried to explain his current situation but Pitt dryly remarked ‘how difficult it would be chasing down leads with an oxygen tank strapped to his back.

McGee called out to him and he turned his head a little too quickly and said, “Ow,” as a twinge of pain assaulted his neck. McGee said, “Are you okay Tony?” Tony said, “I’m fine Tim what did you want?” as he rubbed the back of his neck trying to work out the kink and relief some of the stiffness he was obviously exhibiting…he definitely wasn’t fine.

Ziva looked from McGee to Tony and sighed. Something was off about Tony and it had been since the case landed in their laps…but it was more than just fatigue from running back to back cases or the injures he had gotten tackling one of suspects who tried to run. The kicks to his body had knocked the wind out of him momentarily but his anger and determination made the suspect pay for his misguided attempt to escape.

Dr. Mallard ‘Ducky’ cleared Tony who had suffered from some bruising on his chest and abdomen but the suspect ended up taking a trip to the hospital for several stitches.

The expression on McGee’s face let Ziva know he was thinking the same thing.

McGee blinked at the sound of his given name and immediately thought to himself, ‘Tony wasn’t acting at all like Tony.’ In fact Tony hadn’t been acting like Tony for a while now and it had gotten worse since they started this case.

Tony had changed over the years or maybe he just started acting less immature, keyword acting. Tony still lighted the mood when need be during especially hard or complicated cases. But now there was painful sadness in Tony’s expressive eyes all the time…it was obvious it wasn’t just physical. He couldn’t help noticing the change that had taken place in the last month as he stood up and walked toward Tony’s desk…McGee was worried and it showed on his face.

McGee didn’t see the look often but it came with a brooding and depressed Tony. He hadn’t called him anything but McGee or an occasional Probie for some time. There were no ‘McAnything’ else. There hadn’t been many smiles if any, there were no jokes practical or otherwise and not a single movie reference to break the tension. McGee knew how hard Tony had taken being assigned Agent Afloat right after Director Shepard’s death. Tony blamed himself for her death and he never hid the fact how much he hated every minute he spent aboard the Seahawk but that had been over four years ago. Tony’s reaction as they approached transportation on their first day out obviously brought back painful memories.

Tony worn many masks and let people see only what he wanted them to see. The ‘at times unbearable womanizing frat-boy’ persona was no more than an act he hid behind to protect himself. It had taken McGee a while to figure that one out but he didn’t have any doubt he was right…and he now knew how truly complex Tony DiNozzo really was.

Tony hid his feeling and downplayed his intelligence…he thought he was so much smarter than him but he was just as wrong about that too.

Tony knew more about technology than he let on…a lot more…those random suggestions Tony made when he and Abby got stuck were just too perceptive to be random. And Tony always managed to come up with leads when they reached a dead end or thought they had.

McGee also accidently discovered to his surprise Tony had degrees in Criminology and Criminal Psychology when he was framed for murder and they had to make inquiries into his personal life and past. Tony with his ‘street-smarts’ and other assets was probably the best investigator on the team maybe even in NCIS including Gibbs. Tony could read people better than anyone he knew maybe it takes someone who wears many masks to see through others, he wasn’t sure of that but he was damn good at seeing what other’s including himself missed.

Tony was just as complicated as his life had been the last four years. All the ups and downs would have pushed a lesser man over the edge. Tony had barely survived a critical chest wound and a second fractured collarbone as a result of haven’t been shoot twice. He had been forced into a command position as team leader when Gibbs just relinquished his position without notice.

McGee had to admit he, Ziva, Abby and even Ducky did little to help him adjust, in fact they fought against him as much as possible. Tony finally called a meeting in Autopsy one morning and put an end to it. He read each of them like opened books calling them out, forcing them to accept the realization that Gibbs was gone and he was still there trying to do a job. He demanding that they make a choice. They all thanked God; Tony had given them a choice when they really didn’t deserve one.

Tony’s command was ripped from him as abruptly as it was forced upon him. His beloved car had been blown up and he had fallen in love with a mark on an undercover opt. He had been arrested, interrogated and processed after being framed for murder and accused of murder as acts of revenge. The Director of NCIS was killed under his watch and he was shipped out as Agent Afloat without notice…but through it all he continued to show them just how good he is at his job.

Tony and Director Jenny Shepard had developed a close working relationship…McGee didn’t fully understand the relationship between them but it had undeniably changed after Gibbs left for his hiatus in Mexico. He could tell Tony was loyal to her and that her death had shaken him badly. Going back to the Seahawk must have brought some buried feelings back to the surface but there was something else going on with him and he wasn’t sure what it was but it had something to do with Jeanne Benoit the woman he had fell in love with while undercover. Tony had received messages from her before and each time he became somewhat withdrawn but this time was different.

Tony had been carrying a letter from Jeanne around with him for over a week just before they got the assignment that returned him to the Seahawk. The letter had arrived a few weeks after they finished a case that returned an infant to her parent. The case also sent a father to jail for murdering his son’s girlfriend and a sailor that was in the wrong place at the wrong time which Tony figured out almost immediately. Tony knew right away the case was all about ‘family’ and the sailor just didn’t fit in. When they were rapping the case Tony had gotten soaked by an automatic sprinkler for the second time. McGee had turned on the fireplace in the automated house belonging to the infant’s parent to warm and dry Tony, he watched as he tossed an envelope in the flames and stared at it for a long moment before joining Gibbs, Ziva and himself across the room. Gibbs simply said, “Family,” as if it explained everything.

Tony starting changing after that case, he became more focused about everything. And Tony almost single-handed solves several cases so quickly they were beginning to think he was psychic. Then the letters started to arrive and Tony became unfocused not entirely, he was still pulling the proverbial ‘rabbit out of a hat’ when it came to cases and getting them solved in record time but personally he was a wreck. He wasn’t eating or sleeping, until Gibbs yelled, “DiNozzo my office now,” as he walked toward the elevator. Tony groaned and followed Gibbs, the doors slid closed and the elevator stopped. Thirty minutes later they emerged from the elevator both expressionless.

Tony walked over to his desk and set down as Gibbs did the same. Gibbs said, “McGee go get lunch, bring DiNozzo soup.” McGee stood and said, “On it Boss,” as he headed for the elevator.

Tony took the infamous letter out, read over then put it in his desk drawer and locked it.

Tony stood grabbed a file Gibbs apparently needed and one he needed to take to Abby. He handed Gibbs the file and said, “Boss I’ll be right back… Abby needs this file,” Gibbs nodded and he walked away…according to Ziva.

Tony returned fifteen minutes later meeting McGee at the elevator. Tony took one look at McGee and said, “I’m fine Tim don’t worry,” as McGee handed his a bag and said, “Ok Tony its Minestrone.” Tony smiled said, “Thanks,” and headed to his desk. McGee handed Gibbs and Ziva Italian subs before taking his seat. They ate in silence then returned to work. It was Friday around six when they all headed home. Monday morning Tony walked in with coffee for everyone except for Ziva who received tea which she preferred and a bag of croissants. He had already taken Abby a Caf-Pow and a chocolate croissant her favorite. Tony was back or so it seemed. McGee was still wondering what was said during Gibbs’ and Tony’s private conversation.

Tony continued typing his report as he ignored McGee’s approach and the pensive expression he worn, he was determined to finish before he left for the night. He glanced at the time in the lower right corner of his computer screen and sighed… they had finally wrapped up the case from Hell and he was worn out and it was getting later and later. The case had more twists and turns than a California mountain highway. He wanted to complete the report while everything was fresh in his mind, even though Gibbs said it could keep until Monday and he knew the fatigue was getting the best of him. They were off rotation and didn’t have to report back until Monday but Tony knew if he didn’t finish the report that night his attention to detail would have faltered. Apparently McGee and Ziva felt the same because they all sat down and started typing as soon as Gibbs climbed the stairs to the Director’s office.
************************************************

Tony could imagine Gibbs wearing a smirk hearing the movement behind him before he entered the Director’s office and closed the door. He had given them an option but he knew the reports would be completed and on his desk by the time he returned.
**************************************************

Gibbs wondered what was keeping DiNozzo upright…he had really stepped-up on the case. He was the one that discovered who all the players were and what really happened to Agent Afloat Peter Hammond and the other two seamen. They were murdered; Hammond actually stumbled into the operation and opted to take a cut with the help of the two seamen that died with him.

The case had churned up some bad memories but it didn’t stop DiNozzo from doing a damn fine job. DiNozzo started out shaky…almost loosing it as they approached the transport helicopter but once he boarded he pulled himself together so quickly it nearly gave them whiplash and then he just took charge as expected. DiNozzo wasn’t his Senior Field Agent without good reason.

Gibbs tried to get DiNozzo alone to talk but he had been avoiding him after their very intense one-sided conversation in the elevator. He had basically told DiNozzo to deal with the damn letter and move on…after some very colorable words about his current behavior. He also told him he was tired of the slow suicide through neglect. He mentioned obvious lack of sleep and his weight loss. He threaten to force feed him if he didn’t eat something. And he demanded that he get some sleep over the coming weekend. Tony only response was a whispered, “On it Boss,” as he looked down at the floor. Gibbs had tried but couldn’t get DiNozzo to open up even after he forced him into the elevator corner and blatantly invaded his personal space.

Gibbs was determined to find out what was bothering him now that the case was all but wrapped up. DiNozzo needed to get some rest first his questions would keep until Monday.

TBC