- Text Size +
SCORNED
Chapter Six â€" Complications

Cooper was surprised by Angie’s reaction it was more emotion than she had ever shown the entire time he had known her which meant there was a real problem. He said, “What going on Angie?” He wasn’t going to be responsible for the death of a Federal Agent. Dr. Berkley assured him that DiNozzo would not die on his watch. She claimed she only wanted to hurt him not kill him but there was something going very wrong with her plan.

Angie said, “He going to die if we don’t…” as the door opened and the doctor’s return cut her off.

Dr. Berkley calmly walked other with a syringe in hand just as DiNozzo groaned as the sedative they had given him had started to wear off. His eyelids fluttered but before his eyes opened a needle had penetrated his skin successfully putting him back under. Dr. Berkley touched his head with her gloved hand and said, “Angie get the thermo bed ready in Room 4.” “We need to lower his temperature immediately.”

“Cooper, Michaels bring him, we need him moved to a Room 4 now.” as she grabbed the IV stand and lead the way down the long hall.

Angie couldn’t believe how calm Dr. Berkley was acting. DiNozzo temperature was spiking at a 105 he was only four degrees away from a death sentence. The human body couldn’t withstand temperatures at that level for very long. The drugs were causing all kinds of complications…and there was no way to anticipate every crisis.

The drug interactions had become unpredictable with the added antibiotics and stimulates they had needed to keep his lungs functioning. She wondered how he kept so fit…she had watched a lot of surveillance videos of him running, weight-lifting, fighting and none of it made sense. He shouldn’t have had that much stamina. She continued to prepare the bed and ready the antibiotics as she wondered, ‘How far would Dr. Berkley go.?’

Dr. Berkley growled, “Damn you DiNozzo!” as she headed toward the room where she needed to make some quick decisions. She thought to herself, ‘How does a person contract the ‘Plague’ in the 21st Century…and survive.’ He shouldn’t be able to withstand the strenuous physical requirements of his position. Not with the extensive damage to his lungs.

The pain alone when he exerted himself should have been debilitating.

Kelley and Sims were returning when Dr. Berkley, Cooper and Michaels rushed past them with DiNozzo on a gurney. They had to jump against the wall to avoid a collision. Kelley yelled, “Hey Boss what happened?”

Cooper said, “Don’t know for sure, secure the building and then meet me in the control room.”

Michaels said, “Dr. Berkley didn’t you say the condition of his lungs made him susceptible to infections?” She said, “Yes why?” He looked to Cooper for approval to continue. When Cooper nodded he said, “Well he was driving with the car windows down its pretty cold out tonight and his immune system has to be weaken considering the lack of sleep and...” She stopped him with a wave of her hand and said, “Why on earth would he do that?”

Cooper sighed as he wondered why so called ‘smart people’ never seemed to grasp the obvious. He said, “He was exhausted maybe the cold air made it possible for him to stay awake and make it home alive.”

Dr. Berkley continued toward the room saying, “Well that explains a lot…he did this on purpose.” Cooper shook his head at the ludicrousness of her remark.

Angie was waiting in the room when they arrived. The bed was ready for DiNozzo as ordered. They moved him onto the bed and watched as she finished placing what looked like icepacks along the edges beneath the mattress on a insulated shelve. When she finished she covered him with a thermo blanket that served to trap the cold around his body. The doctor said, “Start the IV and be careful you don’t leave any marks.” Cooper said, “Dr. Berkley we need to talk.” She glared at him and said, “Give me ten minutes and I’ll meet you in my office.”

Kelley appeared in the door and said, “Dr. Berkley there’s a young lady here to see you I believe she’s your daughter.” She huffed and angrily said, “What is she doing here at this hour?” He said, “I wouldn’t know Ma’am but she said her name was Jeanne Benoit and insisted on seeing you.”

Dr. Berkley said, “Our talk will have to wait while I deal with my daughter and check my files.” Cooper nodded as she left the room. He said, “Michaels with me.” They steps in the hall out of Angie’s earshot. He turned to Michaels and said, “What’s really going on?” He had been his Medic in their unit for years. Michaels said, “I’m not sure Boss they’re injecting him with so many drugs it’s hard to distinguish what they all are.” Cooper nodded and said, “You stay here with Angie and make sure she doesn’t kill him I’m going to the control room.” Michaels nodded, re-entered the room and took to a seat in the corner watching where he had an unobstructed view of Angie movements as she started a IV and hooked DiNozzo to a monitor.

************************************************

Dr. Berkley walked into her office and seated herself across from her daughter and said, “Jeanne what are you doing here?” as she opened her computer, she needed to make sure DiNozzo didn’t have any other drug allergies. One of the drugs she was using was effecting his damaged lungs and counteracting the effects of the sedatives. He had almost waken up twice.

Jeanne said, “I’ve made a decision Mother…I’m going to see Tony tomorrow and tell him.”

Dr. Berkley stopped typing and looked at her daughter with a combination of disappointment and annoyance clearly displayed in her expression as she wondered ‘why her daughter was so weak’ when it came to Anthony DiNozzo. She had raised her to be strong and independent. She had to admit DiNozzo was handsome and physically appealing but what else could he really offer her, he was a Federal Agent by choice. He was constantly putting his live in danger. And why would she even want him after all the deceptions.

DiNozzo remained her too much of Jeanne’s father all flash and no substance…she had called him a ‘player’ when they first met. Everything from his expensive taste in clothing and shoes to his disarming smile served to confirm her initial assessment of him. Jeanne’s father had acted much like DiNozzo charming his way into her life.

Rene’ Benoit had blindsided her, destroyed her common sense and turned her world upside down and DiNozzo had done the same to her daughter.
Jeanne thought her mother had stopped interfering in her life…stopped hating Tony for existing but the expression on her face had proved nothing had changed.

Dr. Berkley turned her attention back to her computer and pulled up the hidden file she was seeking…the complete medical records for Anthony DiNozzo…reading quickly she found what she needed. She closed the file then closed her computer. She was now focused on her daughter and said, “What is wrong with you.”

Jeanne frowned as she said, “There’s nothing wrong with me Mother,” barely disguising her sarcasm. I know how you feel about Tony but he…he has a right to know…,” as her mother interrupted and angrily said, “No he does not after what he did to you, not after what he put you through, he doesn’t deserve anything,” as she inward thought, ‘except the hell I’m about to put him through.’

TBC