- Text Size +
SCORNED
Chapter Seven â€" Seeing Reality

Jeanne stood up abruptly and started to pace back and forth in front of her mother’s desk with her arms folded across her chest. Her mother inwardly shook her head as she watched her daughter.

Jeanne stopped after a few minutes eyeing her mother seriously as she said, “Tony didn’t mean to hurt me he loves me and he will love his…” as the phone on her mother’s desk interrupted her words.

Dr. Berkley raised her hand to silence her daughter as she grabbed the phone and said, “Yes,” and listened to the frantic voice of her assistant on the other end saying, “Dr. Berkley the thermo bed isn’t working his temperature is remaining at 105, plus he started shivering and now his breathing is getting more and more erratic… should I give him the…”as the doctor cut her off saying, “I’m coming don’t do anything.”

The doctor ran toward the door as she said, “Stay here I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Jeanne huffed and said, “What going on?” to her mother’s back. She watched as the door was pulled close and then she heard a distinctive click as she was locked inside.

******************************************

Dr. Berkley entered the room and immediately went to work on Tony barking orders at Angie and Michaels as she proceeded.

Turning toward the door she said, “Cooper make sure my daughter doesn’t leave my office, I locked the door but...just make sure she doesn’t leave…” Cooper looked toward the hall cameras and signal for Kelley to go to the office.

Kelley was immediately on the move racing down the long hallway. He reached the office door just as Jeanne pulled it open and took a few steps. He said, “Ms. Benoit your…Dr. Berkley wants you to remain in the office… she will return shortly,” as he gently took her arm and ushered her back inside the office.

Jeanne stopped and turned toward him belatedly invading his personal space and said, “What is my mother doing?”

Kelley stared down at her and said, “I don’t know Ma’am…I’m just following orders.” Jeanne took the hint realizing this man would tell her nothing she turned and walked toward the desk as the door closed behind her. She seated herself at her mother’s desk and opened her computer.

The computer was password protected so she tried several words, names and dates she connected with her mother but nothing seemed to work. She slammed the computer close as frustration welled inside her…she knew her mother was up to something and she hoped to God it didn’t involve Tony. She promised her she wouldn’t do anything to hurt Tony but she didn’t believe her.

Why was her mother starting another secret research project? She had just concluded a military project a few weeks ago…that involved terrorist’s interrogation methods so what was she doing now. Her suspicions were growing, she knew all too well what her mother was capable of and that had her very worried. She thought about her mother’s words, ‘I won’t do any permanent harm.’ What did that mean? And then there was the way she laughed as if her words were just a bad joke.

Dr. Berkley, the world famous Neurosurgeon and Neurologist knew how to treat both the central and peripheral nervous systems. And there was nothing she didn’t know about the human brain and how it worked. Her mother’s area of expertise was Neurophysiology. The government had to stop a lot of the physical methods of interrogation they were using like waterboarding after the public outcry…so with her mother’s help and a group of scientists they resorted to chemical techniques and Nanotechnology. She didn’t know all the details of how it worked but what she knew seemed just as inhumane as waterboarding. Torture was torture.

**********************************************************************

Jeanne bereted herself for going to her mother in the first place she had caused this rift between mother and Tonty…but she needed help and her pride wouldn’t let her go to Tony…not after the way she treated him.
She had accused an innocent Federal Agent of murder…she had belatedly lied. She was trying to destroy a man’s live after she foolishly called her mother for advice.

Jeanne had finally accepted her father was what he was. LaGrenouille, ‘the Frog’ an arms dealer…government sanctioned or not why would he do such a thing. Why would he put himself in that kind of jeopardy? He had also placed her live in danger. His competition had blown up Tony’s car attempting to murder her because Tony routinely picked her up each day. Murder to send a message to her father, he was in a world where human live held no value. Tony was just doing a job…protecting the United States and her interest.

Tony hadn’t replied to her messages but she found out he had been working almost non-stop on a big case involving drug smuggling on Navy vessels right after he just finished another case. She knew she was asking too much of him but they needed him and she just wanted some semblance of control in her life. Why hadn’t she just stayed and tried to work things out with him? Why couldn’t she just accept his life?

She knew her mother didn’t give a damn about what happened to her father, she had hated Rene’ Benoit for years and now her mother was associating Tony with him…but Tony was nothing like her father except for the fact that they both loved her. Maybe it all started as an undercover assignment for Tony DiNozzo, but Tony DiNozzo was the one that fell in love with her…not Tony DiNardo.

Tony tried to keep her at bay but she had finally broken through his armor. The night when Tony proclaimed his love for her with tear filled eyes she knew it was real. She later found out he had lost a dear friend on duty but it didn’t change the fact that he came to her for comfort.

Tony DiNozzo has a daughter and she needs her father no matter what her mother said. She had gone to Tony’s apartment after she had accused him of murdering her father. She had asked him to make love to her after she brutally slapped him so hard her hand hurt for days. He didn’t flinch he just let the tears dancing in his eyes fall as he kissed her passionately.

One of the most passionate kiss they had ever shared. Tony then lifted her in his strong arms and carried her to his bed.

They made love and conceived a child that night. Tony had given her a beautiful baby girl with her father’s beautiful eyes. Jeanne had suffered through a difficult pregnancy because she allowed her mother to constantly beret and disparage Tony until she realized the true. Tony was a victim too he had been used just as much as her. And Tony loved her, even though he said he didn’t, she could see it in his expressive green eyes.

She could see how much it pained him to lie to her…but he was probably trying to protect her even then when she had almost stolen his freedom.

Then Jenny Shepard had come to her after she had admitted her lie about seeing Tony kill her father. She explained how she manipulated Tony into the assignment. She told her about how when Tony came to her to ask about taking their relationship to the next level how she prodded him on…Tony and she had been dating for over a month and he was avoiding taking their relationship any further. She was beginning to think something was wrong with her…but the way he kissed her the way he touched her told her differently. She could tell Tony wanted more too, the way he looked at her, the lust she saw in eyes couldn’t be faked but he was holding back.

When she pushed him for a reason he said, “I don’t want to rush things…If you always do what you’ve always done then you’ll always get what you always got and while what I got had its perks…I’m looking for something difference now.” The sincerity of his words made her want him even more. She promised him she would wait for him and when he was ready she would be there.

Apparently that invitation had sent him to Jenny Shepard for advice.

Jenny had even admitted to Jeanne that she knew what she was doing was wrong but her suspicions surrounding her father’s death at Rene’ Benoit’s hands overruled her ethics and morals. Everything she had done she had done with no regard for her or Tony’s feeling…the ends would have justified the means.

That conversation had sent her to Tony’s apartment to talk but when she saw him standing there before her completed vulnerable…something inside her just twisted and all the pain and all the anger came rushing back and she couldn’t stop her mother’s traits within her from rearing their ugly heads. She wanted to hurt him like he had hurt her with his lies even though she knew it wasn’t his choice…but in that moment it didn’t matter what was done was done…so she ripped his heart out and left him broken.

Three weeks later she discovered she was pregnant, actually she admitted to herself she was pregnant. She knew it the moment she closed the door behind her as she leaned against it when her hand of its own accord caressed her stomach she was carring Tony DiNozzo’s child. She knew it as sure as she knew her name but it didn’t stop her and she walked out of his life.

The months dragged by slowly as she deprived Tony of the experience they should have shared. The cards and notes she had sent were either vague or demanding filled with hurt and anger. After she had given birth she stayed with her mother in Italy at one of her luxurious Villas.

Tony was a forbidden subject; as long as he wasn’t discussed things went fine, if fine meant longing for Tony in silence.

The years passed and her daughter was growing into a beautiful little girl with long chestnut hair and hazel eyes that danced with light.

She cautiously introduced her daughter to her father with pictures and videos she kept hidden from her mother. Her daughter often asked about her father as she grew older. One day as they set in the bright afternoon sun on the veranda with her mother her daughter asked, “Where’s Daddy, Mommy?”

Jeanne smiled and answered, “Still across the waters baby in the United States remember what Mommy told you.” Then she asked, “When I see Daddy, Mommy?” Jeanne ignored the angry look on her mother’s face as she answered, “Soon baby.”

Later that evening at dinner…Her mother said, “What have you been teaching my granddaughter?” Jeanne defiantly answered, “I’m teaching my daughter that she has a father who loves her…and that she’s going to see her father soon.” Her mother went ballistic threatening her with everything from having her committed to a mental institution to disowning her.

Jeanne told her she didn’t give a damn about her money or her threats. And her mother knew they were futile as well as she did. Her father had provided for her…she had more than enough to live any life she chose.

The live she had chosen included Tony DiNozzo and her mother didn’t approval. After she found out Tony’s real name she discovered Anthony D. DiNozzo Jr. worked as a Federal Agent because he loved his job and his country. Tony had a trust fund that overshadowed her’s by millions which she blurted out in the heat of their argument as her mother questioned Tony’s ability to provide for her granddaughter.

Even though, she knew her mother was just grabbing at straws. She knew she had also investigated Tony. She knew everything there was to know about him probably more knowing her mother as she did. She even knew the source of his wealth was his mother who died when he was just a child. But it didn’t stop her from lashing out at Tony with whatever came to mind…she hated him even after Jeanne had long ago forgive him. How could her mother claim to love her daughter and hate the man that fathered her?

Dr. Berkley retreated to her library of medical books and solitary. After almost a month of virtual silence from her mother she walked into the sitting area where she and her daughter were playing and announced she decided to return to the States for a research project. Jeanne announced she and her daughter would be joining her as she decided it was time for three and a-half year old Abrienne DiNozzo to meet her father.
Abrienne would get to know her father no matter what her grandmother said or thought.

**********************************

Dr. Berkley finally got Tony stabilized without using the defibrillator which she dreaded only because it would leave unexplainable evidence of the procedure he had been objected to which would ruin her plans. His temperature had lowered two degrees down to 103 with a massive dose of antibiotics…she would keep him long enough to administer another massive dose to ensure the fever didn’t spike again. He would probably suffer some side-effects like nausea for a couple days and probably have some pretty severe stomach cramps but that didn’t matter to her. He would probably think the nausea was a result of the migraine that would develop.

Since he had experienced migraines in his early twenties he knew the symptoms. Twenty four hours would pass and then the unexplainable body aches and pains would overwhelm him. Then everything would slowly intensify.

Dr. Berkley knew her subject well…his medical history provided her with the perfect vehicle to make him suffer. Dr. Pitt’s records had been extremely thorough and helpful. They were more than worth the expense it took to acquire them. She discovered during her research that a certain mixture of drugs injected into the brain’s pain center could lay dormant and produce amazing results when triggered. She had to make a few adjustments because of the military project she had completed a few months ago.

NCIS was part of the military and she didn’t want some smart ass in NCIS like McGee or Sciuto putting two and two together if DiNozzo symptoms too closely mirrored those of the project subjects.

Dr. Berkley smiled as she thought above what she had learned from the surveillance on DiNozzo. DiNozzo’s job garnered physical altercations on a regular basis. DiNozzo’s co-workers were very physical as they interacted with each other sharing everything from head slaps to playful punches to hugs.

Especially Ms. Abigail Sciuto, that girl dished out breathtaking hugs on a regular basis. The next one she planted on Tony DiNozzo would do more than take his breath away. Oh yes, and their training workouts were no holds barred which would serve well to teach Mr. Anthony D. DiNozzo Jr. what real pain was.

DiNozzo would get plenty stimuli to initiate the chemical reactions she needed, she wanted. Some of the side effects would be worrisome given the condition of his lungs but she had already survived that hurdle and so had DiNozzo. Dr. Pitt would take care of any further problems that occurred with his lungs. He was a mystery in many respects…nothing was as it should be but it didn’t matter as long as he paid…for hurting her daughter.

Dr. Berkley turned to Angie and said, “Check his vitals then wait about forty five minutes before you give him the second dose…use cold compresses to keep his temperature down until then.” “Afterwards one of Cooper’s men can help you dress him so they can get him back to his apartment before dawn.” Angie nodded and went to get what she needed to perform her tasks as instructed.

Dr. Berkley frowned at Tony’s motionless body and exited the room…she was stopped by Cooper halfway down the hall. Cooper said, “Your daughter was trying to access your computer and she’s looking through the papers on your desk as well.”

Dr. Berkley folded her arms across her chest and glared at Cooper as she said, “There nothing for her to find, there’s no mention of this little project anywhere.” “I’m not stupid Cooper.” The distain in her voice would have probably shaken a lesser man.

Cooper just suppressed a anger and returned the glare before asking, “Are you sure DiNozzo is going to be alright, I don’t need him dying on me during transport.”

The doctor said, “I know what I’m doing,“ in a irritated huff as she started to walk away.

Cooper stopped her saying, “Then why did DiNozzo nearly die, I’m not some dumb jock that doesn’t know which end is up and I told you upfront I wouldn’t be responsible for the death of a Federal Agent… I don’t care how much you’re paying me.” “I can read monitors and you almost loss him a couple times.”

Dr. Berkley growled, “But I didn’t he will be reacting just as I planned…no more no less…his lungs were always a potential problem and you were informed.”

Cooper frowned and said, “As I recall you mention some minor complication…I don’t consider death an minor complication.”

Dr. Berkley pushed pass him and said, “DiNozzo will be fine once you get him home now if you don’t I’ll handle my daughter,” as she stormed down the hall leading to her office.

Cooper mumbled, ‘Bitch’ and returned to the control room to check the perimeter again. He hit the comm-connection and had Michaels report to the control room. He ordered him to ready the vehicle then report to DiNozzo’s room and help get him dressed.

**********************************

Tony could heard muffled voices in the distance but he couldn’t comprehend the words…his head was killing him and his chest felt like it was buried beneath a ton of bricks…it hurt to breathe. He tried to think but it just made his head hurt worse. There was something over his nose and mouth pushing air into his lungs but he wasn’t sure what it was. He wondered was it his treatment mask, no it couldn’t be it didn’t feel quite right. Nothing felt right and why wouldn’t his eyes open…why wouldn’t his eyelids cooperate…nothing was cooperating. He tried to move his arms and legs but something was holding them down too. He felt uncomfortably hot except when something cool and soothing grazed along his skin. He also felt like a pin cushion…like hundreds of needles had penetrated his skin. He remembered getting home wanting to sleep for the next thirty six hours but he couldn’t remember opening the door or lying down in his bed and this didn’t feel like his bed. There was an antiseptic smell in the air not quite as strong as a hospital but definitely not his apartment. He wondered, ‘Where the hell am I?’ He needed to open his eyes but before he couldn’t…then something pricked his neck and darkness came.

Cooper and Michaels arrived at Tony room at the same time. Cooper looked at DiNozzo and then glared at Angie before saying, “What did you give him?” Angie glared back, she didn’t work for Cooper and she took enough abuse from Dr. Berkley she wasn’t going to be ordered around or question by the hired help too. She simply said, “A tranquilizer which will wear-off in about three hours so shouldn’t you get moving?”

Cooper growled through gritted teeth, “Didn’t you just give him a massive dose of antibiotics.” She said, “Yes so what?” Cooper took a deep breath and said, “Look at him he not breathing right,” as Angie turned and noticed the uneven breathing. He was actually starting to gasp for air with the oxygen mask covering his nose and mouth. She checked his pulse and said, “Dammit I told Dr. Berkley that sedative is too strong with the antibiotics she used, get her in here.”

Michaels checked the oxygen mask and said, “The mask is fine it’s definitely the drugs.” He looked at Angie questioning expression and said, “I was a medic in my unit.”

Cooper charged out the room and jogged down the long hallway as Michaels watched Angie carefully. Angie grabbed a syringe and a small vial from the storage cabinet in the corner.

Michaels said, “What’s that?” as DiNozzo started to convulsed.

TBC