- Text Size +
Story Notes:
My first Gibbs/Ducky so feedback is greatly appreciated.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ducky makes a house call
TONIGHT’S THE NIGHT

“It’s about time, Jethro!” Ducky complained to the man on the other side of the threshold.

“Excuse me?” Gibbs replied.

“I’ve only been calling for the last thirty minutes. When you didn’t answer I became worried and came right over. I was about to use my key…..”

“Why didn’t you?” Gibbs asked, interrupting.

“You finally answered the door.”

“Oh. Well, come in.”

The distracted tone in Gibbs’ voice was not lost on Mallard. “Are you all right?” he asked, concerned.

“ Fine. Are you coming in or not?”

“I’m already ‘in’, Jethro. I’ve even hung up my coat.”

“Oh. Why are you doing here?”

“To talk.”

“About what?”

Noticing Gibbs had not moved during their entire conversation Mallard moved to close the still open door and locked it. “Why don’t we sit down”, he suggested.

When Gibbs remained stationary, and silent, Ducky took matters into his own hands. Gently grasping the broad shoulders he turned his friend towards to living room and guided him to the nearby couch. Only when he sat down did Gibbs do the same. “What’s wrong, Jethro?” he asked, truly concerned now.

“Why?”

This was not the response he was expecting. “Why what?”

Gibbs sighed. He hated mind games, e4specially when they were for his own good. “Why did you choose me as executor to your estate?”

//So that’s it// “Does that trouble you?”

“Well…yeah….”

“Why?”

Gibbs shrugged. “Well, when people talk about estates and wills…..”

“It usually is associated with last wishes, funerals, terminal illness, etcera, yes?”

“Yeah”, Gibbs whispered.

“I do not wait for such occasions, Jethro. Since my childhood, my parents taught me to always be prepared for any eventuality; especially my father.
When my mother left me at that bus stop when I was a baby he made certain she had the best doctors in all the necessary fields. Those doctors treated her until the end.

He also made certain their Wills, and final wishes, were set down, agreed up, notarized and registered with the family solicitor.

So, you see, mother and I were prepared when father died, I was prepared when mother died, and my affairs of in order. Make sense?”

“I guess so.”

“You guess?”

Gibbs rose and began to pace. “Yeah. I mean, what if I made you executor of my estate?”

“I’d be honored; but, your father would be main executor.”

“Oh, yeah, right.”

Mallard frowned, again the distracted tone, the uncertainty. “What is the real issue here?”

Gibbs stopped pacing but did not turn to face his friend. //Friend!? C’mon, Gibbs, time for the truth// he inner voice counseled. “If I tell you something, Duck, will you promise not to get angry?”

Now Mallard was truly concerned, for fear had mingled with distraction and uncertainty. “I promise, Jethro, by our friendship”, he replied.

Those words gave Gibbs the courage he needed. Closing the distance between them, he held out his hands toward his friend.

Ducky took them and allowed himself to be pulled into a gentle embrace. He returned it eagerly. “I love you, Leroy Jethro Gibbs”, whispered into a convenient ear, putting his whole heart and soul into those six words.
Gibbs tightened the embrace.

“Show me, Duck”, he pleaded.

“Are you absolutely certain, Jethro? It’s been a long for me and the first time for you.”

“I have faith in your powers of recall, Doctor Mallard, and I’m a fast learner.”

Ducky sighed with relief to hear the teasing. Reluctantly disengaging himself from the loving embrace, he looked up into the now smiling face. “In that case, dear boy, let’s adjourn to the classroom.”

Gibbs, his heart filled with joy and anticipation, took his soon to be lover’s hand and lead the way to the bedroom.

FINI
1205.17
Chapter End Notes:
My first Gibbs/Ducky so feedback is greatly appreciated.