- Text Size +
"Ducky, I need to ask you something," said Ziva. She had just gotten back from the hospital. "I found out why I haven't been well."

"Ziva, what did the doctor say?" asked Ducky.

"He did a tox screen and found that I had three times the normal amount of insulin in my blood. He said that I'll need radiation injections."

"That's okay. Just be aware that the radiation can make you sick. I promise that I'll do my best to look after you though. If you need anything, just let me know. When are you starting the treatment?"

"I don't know yet. It has to be by the end of the week. I want to start tomorrow but I don't want to tell Gibbs. And I especially do not want Tony to find out."

"I'll talk to Gibbs for you Ziva. Start the treatment in the morning and I'll ensure you get some time off my dear."

"Thanks Ducky."

"No problem Ziva. But, until tomorrow, you are still working. Can you take this to Gibbs for me please?"

Ziva nodded and took the paper in Ducky's outstretched hand. She headed upstairs and found Abby blocking her path.

"Abby, what's wrong?" asked Ziva.

"You can't go up, there's a madman with a gun up there. He's using Tony as a hostage, McGee's unconscious, and Gibbs is trying to convince the guy to let Tony go," replied Abby.

Ziva immediately turned around and walked up the stairs, ignoring Abby's words of warning. Ziva had her gun and knife, and everyone agreed that she was dangerous.

Quietly, Ziva walked up behind the gunman and nodded at Gibbs. She saw Gibbs' eyes and knew straight away that Gibbs understood what she was going to do.

"Hey, let my partner go!" shouted Ziva.

Startled, the gunman turned around and dropped Tony. The gunman pointed his gun at Ziva, but before he had the chance to do anything else, Ziva had thrown him to the ground.

"Owww! Get off me!" screamed the gunman.

"Why are you here?" asked Ziva.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Answer my question!"

"I was sent to kill Ziva David. That's why I'm here!"

"Who sent you?"

"Eli David. He said I would get a reward for her death."

"That's not going to happen. You see, my father obviously hasn't really noticed that I'll never be vulnerable anymore. Yes, I am Ziva David. You're under arrest!"

Ziva handcuffed the gunman and pulled him to his feet. She looked up to find the whole of the third floor clapping and cheering.

"Well done Ziva," said Gibbs as Tony embraced her.

Ziva smiled at Gibbs and returned Tony's hug before helping McGee get up.

"What happened?" asked McGee groggily.

"Ziva took down the gunman and got a confession out of him," said Tony with a huge grin on his face.

Suddenly, Ziva remembered how sick she was. Her decision to start the treatment the next day was dawning on her and she was scared.

"Gibbs, I need to speak to you," said Ziva.

Gibbs followed Ziva to his 'conference room', otherwise known as the elevator, and allowed Ziva to talk.

"So, I have to start treatment by the end of the week. The only side effect is that the radiation injections can cause you to get sick. I'm scared Gibbs," said Ziva as she looked into her boss' eyes.

Gibbs looked down at his favourite agent and he felt his heart break. Ziva was just a young woman and beneath the tough exterior was a very vulnerable personality.

"There's no reason to be scared Ziva. You're strong and if anyone can get through this, it's you. I'll be right by your side through the whole process if you need me sweetie. I promise," said Gibbs. He hoped that Ziva could see that he was being truthful.

"Thank you Gibbs. At least I can count on you, not like my father. I can't believe he's still trying to kill me."

"He's never going to give up Ziva. But I know a way of making him believe you are dead."

"If you can do that, I will be forever grateful to you Gibbs."

Gibbs smiled at Ziva and promised that he would stop her father from hurting her.
***************************************************************************
"Are you ready for this Ziva?" asked Dr Smith.

It was the next day and Dr Smith had just admitted Ziva to Bethesda Naval Hospital.

"No, but I never will be. I just want to get this over with," replied Ziva.

"Alright, this may hurt a little."

Dr Smith rolled up Ziva's sleeve and injected ten millilitres of radiation into Ziva's arm. After that, he picked up an IV needle and stuck it into Ziva's stomach.

"This will come out tonight Ziva. It's just to get you started sweetheart," said Dr Smith.

Ziva was scared. She knew that the doctor was only helping her but she couldn't stop herself from wishing she hadn't agreed to the treatment. Just as Ziva was about to tell the doctor that she had changed her mind, Gibbs walked in. He sat on the edge of the bed and picked up Ziva's hand. She was shaking. Gibbs squeezed Ziva's hand and gave her one of his very rare, gorgeous smiles.

Suddenly, Ziva felt better and stopped shaking. She smiled at Gibbs before letting the radiation take over. She fell asleep just as Gibbs was leaving.