- Text Size +
Epilogue

Part 1

AN: Wow! The response to this story has been phenomenal. I don't think I have ever gotten so many responses in one day to ANY story I've written, so THANK YOU! And, also, a special thank you to those of you who have me on your alerts and favorites. It really means a lot that you all read and like my stuff. I believe I am going to have, at least, a 2-part epilogue. I want to get everybody's reaction, mainly because I have not done that before, in my other versions. And I want to explore more of the emotion involved, from everybody's POV. I also have not done that in past stories. I, most likely, will not address the punishment in great detail. It is important, but, in this instance, I want it to be secondary to the emotional damage inflicted. So, YES, you most likely will need, at least, one tissue. But go ahead and grab the whole box. Enjoy! Jackie

Gibbs still held the paper, Tony's transfer request, in his hands as he stood and watched Tony enter the elevator. He looked back at the two people now on their feet also.

"What did Tony mean by that?" Gibbs asked. "What is not his story to tell?" Gibbs waited or a response.

Tim and Ziva looked at one another but didn't speak.

Gibbs repeated his questions.

Tim and Ziva still did not respond.

"Why doesn't he trust the two of you?" Gibbs asked, hoping to have more luck with this question.

Gibbs looked at his team members, growing increasingly impatient.

"Answer the question!" Gibbs demanded. The looks they were exchanging not going unnoticed.

Tim opened his mouth to speak, but hesitated.

"What Tony said this morning…at the crime scene…." Gibbs implored. "What did that mean? What was funny? What joke?"

"Somebody had better start talking. NOW!" Gibbs said, the last word was not yelled, but only because he didn't want to draw attention from the rest of the floor as to what was happening in the bullpen.

Gibbs stood seething, waiting for an answer. "Look, you can tell me here, now! Or you can tell me in front of Director Vance. And trust me, ALL I will have to say for Vance to know something is seriously wrong is that DiNozzo walked out. Tony would never walk out on his job! He would never walk out on me! And…" Gibbs remembered the paper in his hand. "…he would never, ever ask to leave my team." Gibbs paused, his anger showing. "So…do we want to try…this…again?" He said, emphasizing the last three words.

Gibbs glared at them both when they still refused to speak. "Upstairs…director's office…now! Go!"

"We'll…" Tim started he didn't want to have to see the director's face when he confessed.

Gibbs shook head. "No, it too late!" He guided them towards the stairs and went up after them.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Gibbs paced the entire time Tim told the story. He told them everything, even how Tony had come to know what they had done.

Gibbs glared at the both of them when Tim had finished.

"Agent David, is what Agent McGee stated here true." Gibbs asked.

She could not speak, she only nodded.

"A fellow agent's life is a joke to you?" Director Vance asked, putting the question to them both.

"Tony was not injured." Ziva offered, weakly.

"That makes it okay?" Vance asked. "Procedures and protocol can be ignored when not one gets hurt. Is that …?" Vance paused when he notice the look on Gibbs' face.

"Maybe that is how you did things back in Israel." Gibbs stated, barely concealing his anger. "Maybe your father condoned that. But I don't. You cannot smile to your partner's face while you plunge the knife in his chest!"

"I…Tony is constantly 'joking' with us." Tim offered.

Gibbs stared at Tim for a moment. "Yes, Agent McGee, Tony is a joker, a prankster. But he never, ever put you in a situation where you could die."

"That nasty water…." Tim replied, recalling a case a while back.

Gibbs remembered it also. "Was there a possible terrorist in the water…waiting for you when you stepped in?" Gibbs knew it sounded ridiculous, but he needed to prove his point.

Tim shook his head.

Vance was having trouble believing the actions of the two agents sitting in front of him.

Meanwhile, Gibbs had finally calmed down enough to sit. He was sitting at the conference table in the back of the room.

"Agent Gibbs…what do you…?" Vance asked.

"Siberia…Antarctica…does NCIS have a field office in Hell?" Gibbs stated. "I, honestly, truly, do not give a damn. I just want them off my team! Immediately!" He stood and left Vance's office, slamming the door behind him.

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Gibbs immediately left NCIS after he exited Director Vance's office. He needed to find Tony. That was his primary concern; the director could do what he liked with McGee and David.

Gibbs immediately began to drive. The first place he thought Tony might be was at his house. Gibbs pulled into his driveway. He sat in the car for a moment, trying to decide if he needed to give Tony some time, or if he needed to go on in.

Gibbs had some questions of his own only Tony could answer. Gibbs wanted to know why Tony didn't come to him. He wanted to know why Tony waited so long before he said anything to Tim or Ziva. He needed to know these things, but more than that he needed to know that Tony was alright.

Gibbs went into his home and immediately headed downstairs. But, to his surprise, Tony was not there. Gibbs was not one to panic, but he was beginning be concerned. He had been so certain Tony would be there, waiting for him. He took a deep breath and looked around his house once more before he headed to his car. A few moments later, Gibbs pulled up in front of Tony's apartment building. He jumped out of the car and took the stairs two at a time. He didn't bother with knocking, using his key to open the door. He found Tony in his bedroom, throwing clothes into a bag.

Tony was not at all surprised to see Gibbs in his bedroom. He momentarily ignored his boss as he continued to pack his bag. He then rounded his bed and headed for the bathroom to get the other items he would need.

Gibbs stopped him as he walked past, gently grabbing his arm. He could see the streaks from the dried tears on Tony's face. His eyes were still red. "Where ya goin' DiNozzo?"

Tony turned his head and looked at him. "I need some time, Gibbs. I just…."

Gibbs nodded and let go of his arm. "I know."

Tony turned to face him. "What do you know?"

"Everything." Gibbs replied. "I know everything."

"I gotta tell you, Boss." Tony said as he headed to the bathroom, Gibbs followed. "My co-workers both have incredible senses of humor."

"…your former co-workers."

"Agents David and McGee explained their actions to both me and Director Vance. He is dealing with them." Gibbs explained.

"What does that mean, exactly?" Tony asked.

Gibbs shrugged. "I don't know. But I did make some suggestions."

Tony looked at his boss for a moment. Ideas of what those 'suggestions' might be running through his head. "I'm sure you did." Tony couldn't help but smile.

"I mentioned Siberia and Antarctica, I think, they have summer seasons. It might even get above 0â—¦F." Gibbs paused. "And there COULD be an NCIS branch office in Hell."

"Gibbs…" Tony stammered. "…you didn't…you didn't say those things to Vance."

"I did. And I meant every word. I don't care what he does with them…as long as they are no longer on my team."

Tony finished packing his bag. He zipped it up and then sat down on the bed.

"I need this, Gibbs." Tony replied. "I need some time." When Tony looked at Gibbs again, there were tears in his eyes.

Gibbs nodded. He sat down on the bed beside Tony. He put his hand on Tony's back, trying to comfort his son. They sat that way for a few moments.

Gibbs sighed. "I know you do, Tony. I know. But you have to call me. You have to let me know where you are so I'll know that you're okay." Gibbs paused. "Will you do that…for me?"

Tony nodded.

TBC

END NOTES: I hope you liked it. But it's not done. Next you get the Tony's confrontation with both Tim and Ziva, and it will not be what you expect. Also, you will get Abby's, Ducky's and Jimmy's reactions. There will be some surprises there, also, and maybe some OOC moments.