- Text Size +
The next morning when Tony awoke, the sun was high in the sky. He was alone in bed, the other side rumpled but mostly straightened. It only took him an instant to recall the night before. He promised not to leave. Oh God, he didn't change his mind, did he?

Tony practically jumped out of the bed, pulling on his jeans and t-shirt even as he practically tripped over himself to leave the bedroom. As he jerked the door open he smelled the coffee and his eyes leaped to the kitchen. Jethro stood at the counter pouring two mugs of coffee. Tony exhaled slowly as he walked to the bathroom. It was a relief knowing he wasn't alone after all. After using the bathroom, he splashed cold water on his face and dried it. He looked better today and he smiled at his reflection. He wasn't unaware of the fact that he was aging but today he felt younger than he had in the past year.

He walked into the kitchen and Gibbs pushed a mug toward him as he sank into a stool at the island. Gibbs pulled up the one beside him. "I was going to make breakfast but you don't have much food here."

"Thanks." He said lifting the mug to his lips. Neither man spoke as they sipped their coffee. Tony rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He looked up at Gibbs who was grinning at him. "What?"

"You have a serious case of bed-head."

Tony realized that he hadn't even thought about combing his hair when he was in the bathroom, just too eager to get to the kitchen. He smiled then and allowed himself to chuckle. This was a side of Gibbs he hadn't seen much, if ever. Tony relaxed, last night was not a dream after all. "So, what do you want to do today?"

Gibbs hesitated for a moment and he grinned a grin Tony had never seen before. Light danced in his eyes a minute and Tony grinned back knowing exactly what was on his mind. "I got some groceries a couple days ago. I was thinking we could go back to my house, eat something, was also going to do yard work...unless you have something else to do."

Tony loved the way he had said "we" and not I. Right now, Gibbs could've suggested they grout a bathtub and he would have thought it was the greatest idea. It didn't matter to him how they spent the day as long as he was with him.

***

That evening after the two men mowed, weed-whacked and trimmed the yard and swept the sidewalk, they grilled steaks and potatoes for dinner. As they sat outside enjoying the last of the day's sunlight, Tony looked over at Jethro. "I think it's too soon to tell anyone about…us," he said softly. "I mean…part of me wants to shout it to the world," Tony grinned, "but…I really don't want to stop working with you."

"We'll keep this to ourselves for now. Just don't call me Jet at work."

"I won't, Boss…err Jet." Tony laughed out loud at the mistake.

Jethro looked over at Tony. "If you look at me like that at work the way you are right now, everyone is going to know."

Tony sighed. "I may not be able to look at you at work then."

"If that's what it takes." He took a swig of his beer.

"I'm just…really happy." Tony didn't let his eyes hide how he felt. "Last night…meant a lot to me."

Gibbs looked at him, his eyes serious. "I've spent worse evenings." He shrugged, trying really hard to suppress a grin.

Tony's face fell but only for a second as he saw the quivering smirk and realized Jet was teasing him. He reached across the table and playfully punched his arm. "Not funny. I'm still scared you're going to change your mind, think this was a huge mistake."

He grabbed Tony's arm and gave it a little squeeze and shake. "I made up my mind before you left the night before. Words were just too much. I think we both needed a little time."

"I spent the rest of the night shaking."

"You're not used to taking a chance on rejection." Gibbs took another swig of his beer.

"I expect rejection. I was taking a chance on being accepted. I wanted to tell you the truth so many times but it never felt right to do so."

"It's okay, Tony. I just assumed you were straight since you seemed to enjoy women so much."

"How long have you…wanted me, Jet?"

"Since you had the plague. Seeing you lying there, barely able to breathe for coughing and Kate crying over you, both of us fearing you were going to die. I knew then."

Tony just stared, shocked. "You never let on."

"I thought Kate and you were going to get together but somehow, you didn't."

"It's possible we might've eventually…had she lived. We'll never know now."

Gibbs smiled. "Maybe…we need each other more." He took a swig of his beer.

"I like the thought of you needing me." Tony's smile lit up his face.

"You spending the night?" Gibbs looked over, his eyes intense and flitted between Tony's eyes and lips.

"No place I'd rather be." Tony openly returned the searching gaze.

The way his eyes flitted to his lips made Gibbs' twitch. He stood up and started clearing the table. Tony took his cue and tended the grill, making sure the fire was out and not a danger. He then grabbed what Jethro had left on the table and carried it inside.

Gibbs had already started washing the dishes. Tony knew he wanted him but he was a creature of routine and that was fine. Tony didn't like leaving a mess either and knew he would relax easier knowing everything was where it belonged.

Once the kitchen was set to rights, Gibbs stood at the counter drying his hands. He moved over at Tony, standing in the man's personal space. "I know what I want. Do you know what you want?"

Tony smiled warmly and nodded. "I want to touch you. I want you to touch me. I don't care how fast or slow we go. I just want you."

"Come on," Jethro spoke low, moving toward the doors to lock them.

Tony still couldn't believe it. He really wants me. He had been too afraid to push too fast.

Taking his hand, he and Tony went upstairs together, the first step on what Tony thought was his last chance on love.