- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sam and Tony talk.

PT 3

Sam was at her local gym with her buddies practicing her jump start. Sam had learned how to do all sorts of things. She was a real pro on the court. She sang in her church's choir and she was doing a church play along with a school play. But basketball she loved. Mainly cause Tony and her played one on one with each other.

Sam's watch beeped when it got time to go home. She got into her car and drove to the other side of town. She pulled into the Apartment buildings garage. When she got to their apartment door her next door neighbor stepped out. "Sam ahh good to see you."

Sam smiled. "Hi Mrs. Collins. What's going?"

Emily Collins was the 3rd floor gossip. Especially for Tony and Sam's apartment. "Sam. Your dad and his boss and a dark haired woman got here about 30 minutes ago,."

Sam just smiled. "Mrs. Collins his boss and probably his Colleague are working on a case with my dad. But I will check it out." Mrs. Collins nodded and watched Sam go inside.

Once inside Sam put her bag down on the bench next to the door. She looked at the mail on the end table. Nothing that couldn't wait probably. Sam went into the kitchen to find Tony and Gibbs sitting at the table talking.

"Hey guys." She smiled. "I'll get dinner ready." She said and walked on into the kitchen.

Gibbs raised his eyebrows at Tony. "You told her about Kate Ducky Abby and McGee going to the play?" Tony shook his head.

AN HOUR LATER

Gibbs had gone home to work on his boat. Tony was sitting on the couch watching a basketball game. He looked over at Sam who was writing out a problem in her math homework.

"Sam?"

Sam turned in her seat looked at him. "Yeah Dad?"

Tony smiled. "Listen. What would you think of meeting some of my co-workers?"

Sam smiled. "I think it's about time."

Tony smiled. "Ok. Um I kinda invited them to your play."

Sam's smile faded. "Oh. Um dad you know how nervous I'll be."

Tony nodded. "Sam you don't know which play they're coming to."

Sam smiled nervously. "Oh well they could only come to the school play cause I told Mrs. Taylor I had to quit the church play."

That was news to Tony. "Why?"

Sam shrugged. "2 parts in the play is just too much for me,."

Tony nodded. "Sam are you feeling ok?"

She nodded. "Yeah Dad why?"

Tony just shrugged. "You just are quiet. Normally you are talking about how basketball was at the gym."

Sam smiled. "Well it was fine. I'm just tired. After math today we did track and I felt dizzy and tired so I had to lie down."

That got Tony worried. "Sam. You would tell me if something seriously was bothering you right?"

She nodded. "Why?"

He just shrugged. "Me and Gibbs worked this case on a dead sailor's daughter. Turns out that she killed herself cause a friend moved."

Sam shook her head. "Dad you don't have to worry about that. My friends don't move. I move from them." She said smiling at him.

Ever since she was 3 they moved every 2 years. This was the longest they had stayed in one place. Tony nodded and sat back looking at the Tv.

"Dad. What was my mom like?"

Tony sat stark still. This was the first time Sam had asked about her mom.

"Sammy. She was a good person."

Sam nodded. Sam was content with that but she didn't expect to hear the next part.

"You're like her. Your personality. You're kind sweet. More a people person. She was like that. As I called her an Angel."

Sam smiled. Most days he would call her Angel. "Did she sing?"

Tony shook his head. "Not that I knew of."

Sam smiled and went back to her homework. "Why did you ask?"

Sam looked up. "Cause a couple of girls were talking to day outside the nurse's office when I was laying down. Said something about their moms and I was just curious." Tony nodded. They sat in companionable silence. But a thought ran through Tony's head. The day of Maryanne's funeral.

FLASHBACK
APRIL - 23 - 1989

Tony stood staring at the head stone in front of him .

Maryanne Gail Potter
Oct-29-1972 To Apr-20-1989

We will miss you Mom , Dad and your Daughter Samantha

Tony looked to Mr. and Mrs Potter who was holding a sleeping Sam. He walked over and kissed Dorothy's cheek. "Let me take her." She handed over the baby to him. Tony walked to the back of the chairs and stood with the baby. His daughter. His flesh and blood. Tony listened to the Potter's preacher talk about Maryanne. But his mind was on the responsibility in his hands. He hadn't told the Potters about going into the police Academy. He would have to. Cause he would need them to watch Sam while he was in school. He knew he couldn't ask his parents for help. His dad made it known he was not welcome. Tony didn't know it but he had a tear sliding down his cheek.

When the service was over he made his way to the grieving parents. "Mr. Potter?"

Jim Potter looked up to the boy he had wished to be his son in law. "Tony. We're glad you came." Dorothy automatically went to take Sam from him. "Come here darlin." She took the baby to some of her friends. Unlike his parents. Maryanne's had showed them support when she came up pregnant. And had welcomed Tony into their home. Tony watched the baby with his eyes. He heard some gasps from the women. "Is that her baby?" Some would ask.

Tony smiled. Jim caught that. "She is gorgeous Tony. Don't doubt that."

Tony turned to Mr. Potter. "I don't Sir."

Jim smiled. "I have a friend in the police academy."

Tony was shocked by that remark. "Oh?" He asked dry mouthed.

Jim smiled. "I know what you're doing."

Tony looked at him. "What am I doing. Sir?"

Jim looked at his wife. "You're waiting for the right time to ask us if we would help you with Sam while you're in the Academy."

Tony smiled. "I guess I am."

Jim patted him on the back. "Me and Dorothy will always help you and that little girl." Tony smiled. Jim pulled Tony while he walked to the car behind Dorothy a ways. "Come to our house and we can go over some schedules." Tony smiled. He was glad for the help.

END FLASHBACK

Tony looked at Sam who was switching her books for a while. She looked up at the Tv for a second. Jim Potter was right. She was a gorgeous girl. He just wished they had gotten to seen her at this age. But when she was 5 they were in a car wreck themselves. And killed. He took her to the funerals. But she didn't know what was going on. He was pulled from his thoughts when his cell chirped. He snatched it from the end table and caught his first glimpse of Sam's face. She had been crying doing her math homework. That broke his heart more. When he read the read out he knew he had an assignment to do. He flipped his phone open.

"Dinozzo?" He barked into it. From Sam's position she seen his face grow grim.

"Alright Boss I'll be there in 10 minutes,." He flipped his phone shut.

Sam guessed . "Assignment?"

Tony nodded. "In Norfolk. " Sam nodded. Tony hated leaving her for a long period of time at home alone.

"Call Gail and see if she wants to come over." He suggested

Sam shook her head. "Nah. I'll be fine. I know how to box kick a guy if I need to."

Tony nodded, and motioned for him to follow him. "Sammy. Listen to me." Sam sat down on his bed while he tied up his shoes. "You're mom and me may not have planned for you. But you are the best thing in my life right now. And if anything happens to you I will die. You can take that to the bank." Sam nodded. And she never doubts it.

"Dad do me a favor?"

He looked at her. "Yeah Angel?"

She got up and hugged him. "Don't get shot or beat up. Cause you're a big baby."

Tony smiled and squeezed her . "I'll do my best." Sam wiped a tear from her eye. Tony left with a little sense of happiness.

TBC

Chapter End Notes:
Been having writers block