- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A little gambling. But who wins. And Sam sees Tony in the hospital

PT 6

The doctor looked at all the faces anticipating the worse case scenario. "Mr Dinozzo is stable. He sustained damage to his ribs. Some are fractured some are bruised. One was not repairable. So we just took it out. The next 48 hours are critical. If he makes it through these hours he should make a relatively good recovery."

Everyone sucked in breaths. But still knew Tony may not make it. Sam stood rigid beside Abby. "Um when can we see him?" Gibbs was the one to ask.

"He should be in a regular room in a couple hours. I wanna watch his blood pressure and oxygen levels. Is his Daughter here. He was real adamant about seeing her before surgery but we didn't have time."

Sam stood forward. "I'm his daughter."

The doctor nodded. "Ok well family is only allowed in. So the rest of you will have to wait til tomorrow."

Everyone was startled when Sam spoke again. ‘Doctor. With all due respect. This is his family. So they have every right to come back with me as the next person."

The doctor nodded. "Alright I will have a nurse come get you when you can see him." They all nodded.

Sam stood back and almost collapsed on the floor.

"Whoa Sam you ok?" It was Kate who asked her.

"Yeah fine just never ate Breakfast."

Gibbs looked at her worried. "Did you check your blood sugar?" The rest of the group looked at them.

"No. I was gonna do it after my second class. But we were coming here. I guess I just forgot."

Gibbs picked her bag up and handed her testing kit. "Here do it."

Gibbs looked to see them looking at each other confused. "She's diabetic. Been that way since she was born."

Ducky walked over. "Do you need help giving the shot?"

She shook her head. "No sir. I can give myself the shot. Just gotta see what my blood sugar is. Probably high."
Abby looked at them. "I say 250. Kate?"

Kate smiled. " 300. McGee?"

He looked at them. "450. Ducky you care to guess?"

Ducky smiled. "350. What about you Gibbs."

Gibbs smirked. "Alright let's see 375." Sam smirked. When the machine beeped she looked at the read out.

"505. Dang." Everyone looked at her gaping.

Kate finally spoke up. "How does it get so high?"

Sam just shrugged. "Stress me not eating much of anything this morning. I knew it was high this morning cause I was more tired than usually."

Abby sat down on the seat beside the girl. "So what do you do when it gets high?"

Sam pulled a little baggy out of the bag and got out her insulin and a needle. "If you want wipe the top of the bottle off with a alcohol swab for me." Abby helped her out.

When everything was done Sam took the needle and pulled her shirt just high enough so she could wipe the swab over her skin. Everyone watched as she expertly poked the Needle into her stomach. McGee went green on them.

"McGee do not pass out on us." Gibbs ordered him.

"Yes sir. It's just that I don't like needles."

Sam smirked. "Neither do I Agent McGee but I still have to use them." McGee smiled.

Ducky looked at the girl. "Does the kids at school tease you?"

Sam looked at the older man. "No Sir Doctor Mallard." She was just about to go on when

Ducky touched her arm. "Sam please call me Ducky. Tony does and your apart of Tony."

Sam smiled at him. "Ok. Ducky. I don't get teased that much. I have a friend Gail she keeps me from getting teased a lot."

Kate smiled "She got your back,."

Sam nodded. "And front and sides. She tells the guys if they tease me. Well let's just say they won't be having any kids." Kate and Abby burst out laughing.

Just then a nurse came out. "Dinozzo family?" They all stood. "Oh I'm sorry. But only 2 can go back at a time." Kate Abby McGee and Ducky all stood back. "You 2 go Jethro. She needs to see him. And she needs you beside her." Ducky told him

Gibbs nodded. "Ok follow me." The nurse told Gibbs and Sam.


TONY'S ICU ROOM

Sam followed the nurse to a door that had a figure laying on the bed with tubes coming out of him. She looked closely and seen the figure was her father. Sam sucked in her breath. She had never seen him so pale. Maybe once or twice when he was sick. But not with a ventilator on him. The nurse sensed her uneasiness.

"Come on let me tell you what some of the machines are. Maybe they won't be so scary." Sam nodded.

Sam glanced back at Gibbs who nodded with her. She startled him when she took hold of his right hand. As they went in they could hear the whoosh of the respirator.

"First off let me tell you I am his nurse for the next 6 hours and my name is Nancy. He has been keeping us guessing since he came in. The machine in his mouth is to help him breath. Blood pressure cuff is taking his Blood pressure. And the instrument on his Right Forefinger is taking his pulse every few minutes. The pads on his chest is helping us keep track of his heart rate. He is on some heavy pain medication so he can't feel anything. He mite be able to hear you. But I don't know. You can stay for about 30 minutes. I'll be out at the nurse's desk." With that she moved away.

Sam took in the site again. Her dad was stronger than this. She swallowed her fear and walked over to the bed. She pulled the chair up beside his bed.

"Daddy it's me. I just want you to know we're all here. Kate, Doctor Mallard. McGee I know you call him Probie. But anyway I ain't calling him that. He's here and Abby. And even Gibbs."

Gibbs smiled. He looked up to see the Heart monitor beeping on them a little steadier. "Sammy?" Sam looked up at Gibbs. "I think he hears you."

She smiled. "I knew he would. We have a connection that goes a little deeper than Father and Daughter. We're friends." She held his hand and squeezed it. "Daddy I'll be here when you're ready to open those eyes. I ain't leaving." With that she kissed his forehead.

TBC