- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Abby meets Tim's family
Abby turned when she heard the door squeak and saw a young woman bearing a strong resemblance to Tim standing there.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt. You must be Abby. Tim’s said so much about you.”

Abby stood and looked slightly confused.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m Rebecca McGee. Tim’s sister. Mister Gibbs called us. Mom and dad are out of town, but are on their way here.”

Abby smiled at her. She remembered Tim saying he had a sister, but never remembered hearing her name. It made her sad. She realized just how little they knew about each other after all the time they had dated.

“I know you and Tim are close, but he never mentioned being engaged.”

Abby blushed. “Oh, well we’re not. I told the nurse that so she would let me stay.”

Rebecca walked over and stood next to Abby at the bed. “How is he doing?” She asked as she gently brushed the hair back from his forehead.

“Nurse said he was doing well. They are supposed to see about removing the ventilator later on.”

Abby saw a tear run down Rebecca’s cheek. “How did this happen?”

Abby felt her anger returning at the question. She had to get herself under control. She didn’t want to upset Tim’s sister any more that she already was. “How about we get some breakfast and talk Rebecca?”

“Please call me Becca.” Abby smiled at her and the two of them went to the cafeteria to get something to eat.

After Abby explained what happened to Kate and Tim, the two of them shared a few tears. Then the subject turned to Tim and Abby’s relationship. Abby sat and listed in amazement as Becca told her how upset Tim had been after the last time they broke up. Abby had assumed he didn’t care because he hadn’t made any attempt to talk to her outside of work.

“Tim called me in tears asking me how he could win you back. He told me he had made a huge mistake. He said he was afraid to go to you because he was scared that you would reject him and he would be crushed.” Then Becca told her something that made her heart skip a beat. “I probably shouldn’t tell you this Abby, but when I made mention of you and Tim being engaged, you looked so disappointed when you said you weren’t. I think I should tell you. Tim called me the other day and wanted me to go shopping with him this weekend.”

Abby didn’t catch on. “For what?”

“He wanted a woman’s opinion on the ring he was going to pick out.”

Abby stared at her in shock.

“He didn’t tell anyone. Not even our parents. He didn’t want to tell them in case it didn’t work out. He has been a nervous wreck. What happened between you two?”

Abby’s eyes dropped to the table. She really didn’t want to tell Becca about Michelle. “We just had a falling out about something that escalated into a huge deal.” She could tell Becca understood that she didn’t want to go into detail. She was really beginning to like her.

She sighed. “Speaking of things nobody knows, I guess I should tell you something.”

“What’s that?”

Abby smiled a sad smile. “I’m pregnant.”

Becca’s face lit up like Tony’s had when she told him. “Oh my gosh! Congratulations! Wait, you said nobody knows. That includes Tim I’m guessing.”

“Well there are two people who know, they only found out yesterday, but no, Tim doesn’t know. I was scared to tell him because I was afraid he would freak out and leave for good.”

“How far?”

“Going on six week.”

“Six weeks? Wow, sounds like you guys have some talking to do when he wakes up.”

“Yeah, we do.”

Becca’s cell phone rang. “That’s probably mom and dad.” She answered the phone and told her parents where to meet her and Abby. After hanging up she looked at Abby. “I won’t tell anyone about the baby. I think that is something you and Tim should announce when he is up for it.”

“Thanks. I won’t tell Tim you told me about the ring. Thanks Becca. Thanks for everything.”

“No problem. At least we know we will like each other when we are in-laws.” Abby actually laughed.

She had a feeling she was going to like being a member of the McGee family.

Tony and Ducky arrived at the hospital to find Abby sitting in the hall outside Tim’s room.

“Hey Abbs, everything OK?” Tony asked as he sat down next to her.

“Yeah. Tim’s family is here and I thought I’d give them some time alone. The doctor said he’s doing really well. They are supposed to evaluate his breathing later today to see if they can remove the ventilator.”

She looked up at Ducky. “Have you found Gibbs yet?”

Ducky nodded. “Yes, last I saw him, he was passed out drunk in his basement. He’s been placed on mandatory leave for a least two weeks. I heard he had words with the director. I think he’s taking this pretty hard.”

Abby frowned. “I shouldn’t have yelled at him. I was just so mad. He’s just so stubborn.”

Tony laughed. “You think so?”

Abby smiled and put her arm around Tony’s shoulders. “Almost as much as you. Come on, let’s go see Tim. I want you to meet his family.” Abby and Tony stood up and the three of them went in to see Tim.

Tim’s mom and dad were standing next to the bed and Becca was sitting in the chair on the other side.

“Hey Abby.”

“Hey Becca.”

Abby introduced everyone. “Mister and misses McGee, Becca, this is Tony and Ducky. They work with Tim and I. Tony, Ducky this is Tim’s sister, Rebecca, and his parents, Suzana and Thomas.”

They all said their hellos. They spent some time talking about Tim and what had happened to him and Kate. That afternoon, Tim was taken off the respirator after the doctor determined he was breathing well enough on his own.