- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tim wakes up and Abby can't decide how to reveal her secret
Early in the evening, Tim’s parents and sister had left to get some dinner and Ducky and Tony had gone off for a meeting with the director. Abby sat by Tim’s bed watching him sleep. He looked so peaceful. She stood up and stretched and kissed him gently before walking over to stand by the window. She was staring out at the sunset when she heard the door open.

She turned and saw Gibbs standing there. “Thought I’d find you here.” he said softly.

“Hey Gibbs.”

“So how’s he doing?”

She walked back to Tim’s side and gently brushed is hair back from his forehead. “Better. He’s breathing on his own now. He’s going to be pretty sore for a while, but he’s going to recover.”

Gibbs bowed his head. “That’s good. Listen Abby, about what happened...”

“No, Gibbs. I was wrong to blame you. I was just so mad. I’m sorry I took it out on you. I know you must be hurting.” Gibbs nodded silently.

“You know you don’t have to keep up that stone wall around me. It’s OK if you want to talk or something.”

To Abby’s surprise, he looked up at her with tears running down his cheeks. “I’m so sorry Abbs.”

She felt herself begin to cry as she walked around the bed and hugged Gibbs. “Don’t be. It wasn’t your fault. Come on, sit with me for a while, we can talk.” She led Gibbs over to the chair and sat him down. She pulled up another for herself.

“Thanks Abbs.”

“No problem. That’s what friends are for after all.”

Abby and Gibbs sat and talked for the better part of the evening. After he left, Abby fell asleep in the chair next to Tim’s bed.

She woke up as the sun was coming up. She once again found herself standing at the window. She felt the tears falling from her eyes as she thought about everything that had happened in the last few days. She didn’t notice when Tim opened his eyes. It took him a few minutes to clear his vision. He could see her standing, staring out the window.

“Abbs?”

She spun around at the sound of his voice. “Tim!” She went to his side and took his hand.

“Are you crying?”

She nodded. “Yeah, I was so worried about you. I’m so glad you’re awake.” She smiled at him. “How do you feel?”

“Tired. Sore. What happened? I remember going to Norfolk with Gibbs, Tony and Kate. When we got there, things went crazy. I don’t remember a lot after the shooting started.”

“Well, you’re still in Norfolk. You took two shots to the chest and one grazed your head. You were really lucky. You gave us all a scare.”

“Where is everyone else?” She didn’t know how to tell him about Kate. “Well, your parents and sister were here. Tony and Ducky have been checking up on you. Gibbs stopped by last night.” She started crying.

“Abbs? What’s wrong? Tell me.” Before she could answer, a nurse came in the room.

“Mister McGee, so glad to see you awake.” The nurse smiled at Abby as she wiped her eyes. She let go of Tim’s hand and stepped back as the nurse checked his vitals and changed one of his IV bags. “You’re a lucky one, you know. This little lady hasn’t left your side since you came in. I think she likes you.” She smiled and winked at Tim, who glanced over at Abby.

Abby blushed and smiled. Tim smiled at the nurse. “I think so to.”

“I’ll tell doctor Harmon you’re awake, I’m sure he will want to see you.” She patted Tim on his arm and left the two of them alone again.

His expression turned serious again. “Abby?”

“You should rest Tim, we can talk later.”

“No Abby. Tell me what’s going on.” He weakly lifted his hand from the bed and she moved to take it in hers.

“I don’t know how to tell you Tim.” She broke down sobbing. “Oh God Tim. Kate...”

He felt a lump in his throat when he spoke. “What about Kate?”

“She’s dead. She was shot in the head. Ducky said she died instantly.”

“Oh God.” he whispered.

She saw the tears run down his face. She reached up and gently wiped them away. “Rest Tim. You need to build up your strength. I’ll be here when you wake up.”

He squeezed her hand slightly. “Abbs, I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t, Save your strength. Go to sleep. We’ll talk when you wake up.” She leaned down and kissed him and brushed away another tear. “Get some rest.”

He nodded and closed his eyes. “Abby?”

“Yeah Tim.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too Tim.” He smiled and she held his hand until he drifted off to sleep. She sat back down in her chair and thought about how she was going to tell Tim about the baby.