- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tim and Abby tell Gibbs about the baby.
Abby arrived at the hospital the next morning to find that Tim had been moved to a new room. When she walked into the room, she was pleasantly surprised to see Tim was up and out of bed.

She smiled at him as the nurse helped him walk around a little. “So, I see you’re on your way to running in a marathon,” she joked.

He laughed at her. “Yeah right. Doc wanted me to get up and move a little, get my legs going again. Never thought walking could be so hard.”

“Well, you look like you’re doing just fine to me.”

He nodded a little. “He said if I keep improving, I could be out of here pretty soon.”

“Cool.”

The nurse helped Tim sit down in a chair next to the bed. She helped him get settled and told him to call her if he needed anything, He thanked her and she left the room. Abby walked over and carefully sat on the arm of the chair.

“You really do look great. I think you’ve surprised all of us by how quick you’ve bounced back.”

“Well I had good reason.” He reached over and gently placed his hand on her stomach.

“Are your parents coining by today?”

He nodded. “Mom called this morning and said they would be by later today.”

“Do you want to tell them tonight?”

He smiled. “Yeah. I think they’re going to be really happy. When are we going to tell Gibbs?”

“Tell me what?” They both looked to see Gibbs standing there with a smile on his face.

“Jesus Gibbs, I hate it when you do that,” Abby said.

“Well?”

“Well what?”

“What is it that you aren’t telling me?”

Abby glanced at Tim, who looked like he was afraid for his life. She found that amusing since he had denied being afraid of Gibbs earlier. She decided to test the waters. She smiled. “Tim and I are dating.”

“Tell me something I haven’t already figured out on my own.” Gibbs smiled back at her.

“Okay then, I’m pregnant.”

Tim closed his eyes and waited for the shouting to begin. Instead, he heard Gibbs respond “Well, wasn’t expecting that one. Congratulations.”

Tim looked at Gibbs, his expression still fearful. “Relax McGee; I’m not going to yell. Now, you better take good care of Abby here. If she says one bad thing about you, I’m coming after you.”

Tim nodded nervously. “Yes sir.”

Abby laughed and stood up. She walked over to Gibbs and gave him a hug. “Thanks boss man. Don’t worry about Tim. He knows you and Tony will both take him out.”

“Tony knows?”

“Yeah, and Ducky too. Oh, and Tim’s sister.”

“Well, I’m glad you decided to tell me before the baby was born,” he said jokingly.

Abby liked this new side of Gibbs. It saddened her though that it took the events of recent days to cause him to lighten up. She thought to herself that she knew somewhere behind his tough shell was a softer side of him.

The three of them sat and talked for a while. Gibbs had left telling them he had another meeting with the director. Tim’s parents stopped by later on and they shared the news about the baby with them. They were so excited.

After visiting hours, Doctor Harmon stopped in to check on Tim. Both Abby and Tim were happy to hear that Tim was recovering rather well and would most likely be released in another two or three days.