- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Abby goes into labor.
Christmas day passed and everyone had a wonderful time at Tim and Abby’s house. New Year’s came and went and Abby finally went on maternity leave. Tim continued to work, but was a nervous wreck. He called Abby every half hour to check on her. She finally told him if he called her one more time, she would sic Gibbs on him. That calmed him down.

Early in the morning of Abby’s actual due date, Tim was sleeping soundly until Abby woke him up. “Tim? Tim, are you awake?"

She shifted as her contraction intensified. She shook him again. “Tim! Wake up!”

He mumbled something incoherent, still half asleep.

“Tim honey, this is important.” She sucked in a deep breath when another wave of pain washed over her.

Suddenly, he bolted upright. “What? Are you all right? What’s going on?”

She laughed at him. “Calm down. It’s all right, but I think we need to think about getting to the hospital.”

He was still more asleep than awake. “Huh?”

She rubbed her swollen belly to remind him.

“Oh! Oh yeah.” He jumped up from the bed and began getting dressed. “What do you want me to do Abby?”

“First, you need to calm down. The contractions are about fifteen minutes apart and...” she stopped abruptly and stared at him wide eyed.

“What? Abby, what’s going on?”

“My water just broke Tim.”

He started freaking out. “Oh my God! What do you want me to do?”

She laughed again. “You are more nervous than I am. Stay calm babe. I need you to help me up so I can get cleaned up and dressed. You need to call Doctor Alexander to meet us at the hospital.”

He gently helped her up from the bed and to the bathroom. He stood watching her as she took off her wet nightclothes. “What Tim? What are you thinking?” She put on a bra and a clean shirt.

He walked to her and put his hands on her stomach. “You are so beautiful Abby. This is really it, isn’t it? I was just thinking this will be the last time I see you like this. You are absolutely glowing Abby. I can’t wait to see the baby. Our baby. God Abby, I love you more than you can imagine.”

She saw the tears welling up in his eyes and smiled softly at him.

“Oh Tim.” She hugged him the best she could, her stomach keeping her from holding him the way she really wanted to.

Suddenly, a really strong contraction hit. Even Tim felt her stomach tighten. He held her until it passed. “Time to go Tim. You call the doctor and I’ll finish getting dressed. Okay?”

“Yeah, you sure you will be okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine.” He turned to go to the phone, but turned back to face her when she spoke. “Oh, and call you parents. And Becca.”

He turned again.

“Oh, and Tim?”

He turned around once more.

“I love you too honey.”

He smiled and went to make his phone calls.