- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Meet baby McGee.
Four hours later, Abby lay sweating profusely and panting in determination as another contraction seized her body. Tim sat next to her bed feeling completely helpless. Becca sat in another chair beside him. His parents had gone to get breakfast. Once the contraction passed and her breathing eased, he squeezed her hand.

“I love you Abbs. I wish I could do something for you.”

She smiled at him “It’s okay. It’s really not so bad.”

Doctor Alexander came in to check on Abby’s progress. She smiled at the three of them. “Hey Abby, how are you feeling? Need any pain meds?”

“Nah, I’m doing all right”

“How about you Tim? You hanging in there?”

“So far, so good.” He held Abby’s hand as the doctor checked things out.

“Looks good Abby. You’re about six centimeters and progressing nicely. Shouldn’t be too much longer now. Do you need anything?”

“No, I’m good.”

“Well, just let me know if you do.”

“I will.” The doctor left the room just as Tim’s parents came back.

“How are things going?” his mom asked as she handed him a soda.

“Really good. She’s at six centimeters.”

“That’s good news. Are you sure you don’t want anything to eat Tim?”

“Nah, I’m too worked up to eat. I’m fine.”

She smiled then patted him on the arm. She looked at Abby.

“I think you’re doing better than he is Abby.” She smiled at her.

“Yeah, well you know how men are.”

Tim rolled his eyes as the girls laughed.

After another two hours, he was getting accustomed to Abby’s wailing and was beginning to know when to expect her contractions, Ducky had arrived about twenty minutes earlier and was talking to Tim’s dad when Tony and Gibbs came into the room.

She smiled at them, her face looking tired. Tony took her hand.

“Hey Abbs. How are you holding up?”

“Pretty good. The doctor was in a few minutes ago said I was just about at ten centimeters, could go any minute.”

“Cool,” He looked at Tim, who looked just as frazzled as Abby. “Hey Tim. You ready for this man?”

Tim smiled at him. “You bet.”

Abby moaned again and Tony stood watching as she panted and groaned her way through another contraction.

After she relaxed again, he brushed his hand across her check. “Want me to kick his butt for you Abbs?”

Abby laughed. “No. Don’t worry. He’ll have plenty of time to make it up to me.”

She looked over at Gibbs, who was standing a little behind Tony with a grin on his face.

“Hey you, are you going to say hi or are you going to stand there all day?”

He laughed and walked over to her side. “Of course I was going to say hi. How are you doing? McGee here taking good care of you?”

She smiled when she saw Tim flinch.

“Of course. Don’t worry Gibbs. He knows the consequences if he don’t.” Abby laughed then inhaled sharply. Her body tightened in a way it hadn’t before. She cried out in pain.

"Ahhh, get the doctor!”

Tim started to panic. Becca went to get Doctor Alexander.

“What Abby? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing wrong. Just feel like I want to push. Baby’s coming.”

“Really?” he asked almost stupidly.

“Yeah Tim, that is what we are here for you know.”

Tony, Gibbs, Ducky and Tim’s parents laughed.

Abby wailed again. “Oh God Tim! It really hurts!”

“Come on Abby, don’t get all freaked out on me now baby. I don’t know what to do here. You have to help me out.”

“Ooooh, Tim.”

He held her hand, tears running from his eyes. To his surprise, Gibbs laid a hand on his shoulder.

“Relax Tim, it’s going to be just fine.”

He looked at Gibbs, grateful for his encouragement, and smiled. Becca and Doctor Alexander came back into the room. The doctor quickly set about checking on Abby.

“So, I hear you feel like pushing. That’s good. Well, the baby’s head is down and ready to go. Let’s get you set up to push Abby.”

The next few minutes were a flurry of activity. Doctors and nurses hurried in and out of the room. The guys had excused themselves and were waiting in the hall. Becca and Tim’s mom had stayed with Abby and Tim as Abby was prepped to deliver the baby.

Abby had wanted Tim to hold her, so he had carefully climbed up on the bed with her. He was now sitting up against the back of the bed. His legs were bent and Abby rested between them, her back braced against him and her legs up against his. She panted and cried as the doctor urged her to push.

“Push Abby, come on, you’re almost there. I can see the top of the head.”

Tim smiled at his mom and Becca, who were standing next to them both.

“Come on Abby, hard push.”

She took a deep breath and pushed, holding tightly to Tim’s arms. “Ooooh God! Tim, it hurts.”

He kissed the top of her head. “I know honey, I’m sorry.”

Doctor Alexander urged her to push again. “Come on Abby, it’s going well. Push for me.”

She took another deep breath and pushed as hard as she could, crying out when the baby’s head emerged.

“Well done! The baby’s head is out. I still need you to push a little more Abby. Can you give me a little more?”

She leaned back heavily on Tim, her body shaking and sweat soaked. He pulled her hair back from her face.

“Abby, baby, are you okay?”

“God Tim, I can’t. Just can’t.”

Tears ran down his face. “Come on babe, just a little bit more.”

“I can’t. Hurts Tim.”

“Please Abbs, Come on, you can do it. It’s almost done.”

She gathered her strength and pushed with all her might. She squeezed him so hard, he knew he was going to bruise.

“Good Abby! Keep going! Here are the shoulders.”

She screamed out.

“Little more, here we go. One more big push. Ready? One, two, three!”

She pushed with the last of her strength. “Oh my God! Timothy Sean McGee! You ever touch me again I swear!”

Everyone laughed as Tim’s face turned three shades of red.

“Here we go! It’s a girl! A beautiful baby girl! Congratulations!”

Abby collapsed against Tim exhausted and crying as she heard the baby begin to wail.

“Oh Abby honey, she’s beautiful,” Tim’s mom said from beside them.

Abby smiled and squeezed Tim’s hands. “I did it honey.”

“Yes you did. I love you Abby.”

The nurse handed Abby their daughter. Tim’s mom and Becca went to tell the rest of the group the good news to give them a few minutes alone. They both stared at the baby in amazement.

“She looks like you Tim.”

The baby opened her eyes and looked at them with the most beautiful eyes. Tim’s voice hitched in his throat as he realized he was looking into Abby’s own eyes. “She has your eyes Abbs.”

“Tim, she’s so beautiful.” She gently caressed the baby’s cheek and spoke to her. “Hello my beautiful baby girl.”

Everyone came back into the room and gathered around Tim, Abby and the baby.

Abby smiled. “Everyone, I would like you to meet our beautiful baby girl. Say hello to Caitlin Angel McGee.”

Tony’s eyes clouded up with tears. “That is a beautiful name for a beautiful girl Abbs.”

He kissed Abby’s cheek and patted Tim on the shoulder. “Congrats, man. She’s absolutely perfect.”

“Thanks Tony.”

Gibbs gently rubbed his finger across the baby’s cheek. “She’s beautiful. You guys did good.”

They both smiled at Gibbs. Abby looked at the baby and spoke to her. “Caitlin, I want you to meet your family. This is grand mom and grandpa, your aunt Rebecca, your uncle Tony, uncle Jethro and uncle Ducky. They are the greatest family you would ever want.”