- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tim makes a huge mistake that could cost him his relationship with Abby.
On Sunday night, Tim found himself at a local bar. He didn’t know why he was there, the bar scene never really appealed to him, especially on a work night. He was still hurting terribly over the last argument he had with Abby. Before he realized it, he had had a few drinks and was beginning to feel a little tipsy. He was sitting at the bar watching the baseball game, drinking another beer when he heard someone call his name.

“Tim? Tim McGee?”

He turned to see an attractive woman waving at him. It took his foggy mind a few seconds to realize he knew her.

“Michelle?”

She walked over to him and gave him a hug.

“Hey! How you been? We’ve missed you dawn at Norfolk. How’s life treating you now that you’re a field agent?”

He smiled at her. Michelle was an old friend from his days at Norfolk. They never really hung out, but they had worked together on many occasions.

“I’m doing all right. How about you? Wow, you look great.” She blushed a little.

“Oh Tim, always trying to impress the ladies. I’m good. I don’t like the guy they brought in to replace you. He’s a real jerk. Thinks he’s God’s gift or something. Anyway, what brings you here? I know the bar thing really isn’t your gig.”

He shrugged and took another swig of his beer.

“Just trying to rid myself of some work related tension.” Michelle laughed. “I know what you mean.”

A couple of hours and a few more drinks later, he called a cab.

He was waiting outside with Michelle when he started a conversation that would end up leading to the biggest mistake of his life.

“So, you never told me what you’re doing in my neck of the woods.”

“Training seminar. Ended this morning, so we get a free night before heading back tomorrow.”

Tim smiled at her.

“So where are you staying?”

She smiled back at him. “Why Timothy McGee, if I didn’t know better I’d think you were coming on to me.”

Without really thinking, he pulled her to him and kissed her. She pulled back a few seconds later, breathless.

“Well, I guess that clears up any guessing.”

The taxi arrived and they both got in.

“Where to?” the driver asked.

They looked at each other and smiled. Tim gave the driver his address. At that point in time, he didn’t realize the consequences of his decision.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Tim woke up the next morning, his head still slightly hazy. It took him a few minutes to realize that he wasn’t alone. He looked over to see her asleep next to him.

“Damn it!” he cursed himself inwardly.

Then he remembered the night before. He quietly got out of bed and went into the bathroom. After taking a quick shower, he put on a t-shirt and boxers. He was glad she was still asleep when he was done. He went into the living room to try and get his head on straight.

What was he going to do? What if Abby found out? Trying to distract himself, he ended up playing around on his computer.

Before too long, Tony and Kate had shown up. Actually, they had broken into his apartment. He prayed that Michelle didn’t wake up. That would be all he needed. He quickly got dressed and tried to be as quiet as possible. He hurried them out the door and was thankful they were none the wiser.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



He spent the entire ride to the scene in silence. Tony and Kate were too busy bickering among themselves to really notice. He didn’t care anyway. He really did not want to try and convince them that nothing was wrong.

When they arrived on scene, Gibbs was the one to notice he was acting strange.

“McGee, you all right?”

“Yeah boss, just a little tired.”

Gibbs nodded and gave him a look.

Great that’s all he needed, Gibbs on his case. They finished up at the scene and headed back to headquarters. He let Tony and Kate take the evidence to Abby, Gibbs went to talk to Ducky.

He went to the bullpen and sat down at his desk.

When Tony and Kate dropped off the evidence, she asked where Tim was.

Tony told her he said he wasn’t feeling well and was upstairs. After They left to meet Gibbs and Ducky in autopsy, she decided to go check on Tim. She took a case file with her so if Gibbs caught her, at least she would have an excuse to be there, all be it a lame one.
Chapter End Notes:
My version of how a certain someone ended up in McGee's apartment at the begining of Red Cell. (I know we later figure out it is Tim's sister.)