- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Abby waits for news on Tim
Abby and Ducky arrived at the hospital to find Gibbs and Tony in the ER waiting room. Tony was sitting in shock, his face and shirt splattered in blood. Gibbs was pacing the floor, his hands and shirt also stained red.

Ducky looked at Gibbs and saw a pain in his eyes that he had never seen in all the years he had known him. “Jethro, are you all right?”

He took in Ducky’s concerned look and then looked at his hands. “Yeah. Yeah, it’s not mine. It’s McGee’s.” At that Abby began to cry again.

Ducky nodded. “Any word on the young lad?”

Gibbs shook his head slightly. “No, he’s still in surgery. He took two shots to the chest and one grazed his head. It wasn’t looking too good. He was in cardiac arrest when they brought him in.”

“Oh dear.” Ducky glanced at Abby who looked like she was going to pass out.

Gibbs drew in a deep breath. “I left specific instructions for Kate to be sent to you Ducky. I want you to take good care of her.”

“Of course Jethro. I wouldn’t think of giving her anything but my best.”

Abby approached Gibbs. He noticed she looked very angry. He dropped his head and looked at the floor when she began yelling at him. “What happened Gibbs? Why did you run after him? You knew what Ari was capable of! What is wrong with you? Why weren’t they wearing vests Gibbs?”

Gibbs stared at the floor and when he spoke, he was choked up. “Kate was. It didn’t matter, she was shot in the head.”

Abby continued yelling at him, tears running from her eyes. “What about Tim? Why wasn’t he wearing one?” He looked up at her and saw the hurt in her eyes. “I don’t know Abby.”

She stared at him for a few seconds. “I hate you!” Abby actually thought she saw tears in his eyes. He looked at her for a few more seconds then turned and walked down the hall.

She felt Ducky gently take her arm. “Abigail, calm down. This isn’t his fault you know.” She turned and looked at him. As much as she wanted to yell at him too, she just couldn’t.

She wiped her eyes. “Yes it is. If he weren’t so bent on catching Ari none of this would have happened. Kate would still be alive and Tim wouldn’t be...” She trailed off, finally breaking down into body wracking sobs.

Ducky led her over to a chair next to Tony and sat her down. “Abigail, I know you’re angry, but you really need to calm down. Not just for your sake either. I’m going to go see if I can find out anything more about Timothy. Will you be all right here with Anthony?” She nodded and wiped at her eyes again.

Ducky went off to find a doctor and Abby sat with Tony. He had not said a word since she arrived. She looked at him and he was staring off into space. She took his hand and gently squeezed. “Hey Tony.”

He turned and looked at her, tears running down his cheeks. “Hey Abbs.” he said in almost a whisper.

She put her head on his shoulder. “I’m so sorry Tony. I know you and Kate were close.”

He squeezed her hand. “Thanks Abbs. You know he’s going to pull through, right?” She sat up and looked at him. He gave her a sad smile. “Come on Abbs. We all know you have a thing for McGee.”

“More than you know.” she mumbled.

“What?”

She sighed. “I might as well tell you. You’re going to find out soon enough. I’m pregnant Tony.” She was surprised by the smile that lit up his face despite the current situation.

“No kidding? We’re going to have a little probie running around soon?” Abby nodded. “That’s great Abbs. I know Tim’s going to make it now.”

She started tearing up again. Tony’s smiled faded.

“He doesn’t know, does he?”

She shook her head. “I was too afraid to tell him. It’s a really long story. God Tony, he has to make it. What am I going to do without him?”

“Hey! Don’t you talk like that. Tim’s going to make it. Do you hear me?”

She was pretty sure he was saying that for his own benefit as much as hers. “Even though I pick on him and tease him, I care about Tim you know. He’s a good guy.”

Abby nodded again. “I know Tony. Tim knows too. He thinks a lot of you.”

Tony gave her a smile. She took his hand again and stood up, pulling him with her. “Come on, let’s go get cleaned up and get some coffee or something while we wait for Ducky.”

Tony agreed and they walked down the hall hand in hand.
Chapter End Notes:
I know Tim was wearing a vest in the episode, but go with me here...