- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Abby finally gets to see Tim
After Tony and Abby got themselves together and got some coffee, they sat and talked. About fifteen minutes later Ducky reappeared. Abby stood and looked at him hopefully.

“Ducky? Any word?”

“Yes. He made it through the surgery and is in recovery. He will be moved to the ICU after that. He’s still in very critical condition. The graze wound to his head required a few stitches. He was extremely lucky. A few more centimeters further and...” He saw Abby pale. “Well, he was very fortunate. One of the bullets hit his lung and caused it to collapse, but they were able to repair the damage. The other bullet was very close to his heart. They were able to remove it and repair the damage as well. That was what caused him to go into cardiac arrest. He’s got a long recovery ahead of him, but they are expecting him to pull through.”

Abby let out the breath she hadn’t realized she was holding. “Thank God.”

Tony stood and hugged her. “See Abbs, I told you. He’s tougher than he looks.”

“Can we see him?” Abby asked.

“Not yet. They said once he was moved to the ICU we may be able to briefly see him.” At the risk of making Abby angry, Ducky asked another question. “Have you seen Jethro?” Her jaw tightened in anger.

Tony gently squeezed her shoulder. “No Duck, we haven’t” Ducky just nodded. They all sat down and waited for the doctor to tell them they could see Tim.

Almost two hours later, Tim’s doctor walked into the waiting room. Abby was asleep leaning on Tony’s shoulder and Ducky was reading a magazine.

"Doctor Mallard."

Ducky stood up and shook hands with him. "Good to see you again doctor Harmon. How's young Timothy?"

“He’s stable. We’ve moved him to the ICU. If you would like you can see him for a short while.”

Tony woke Abby up. Ducky nodded. “Yes. That would be great. I’m sure Abigail here would love to see Timothy.”

Abby perked up. “We can see him?”

The doctor smiled. “Yes, but briefly. He needs to rest. He’s got a long road ahead of him.” They followed the doctor to Tim’s room.

They walked into Tim’s room and Tony felt Abby tighten her grip on his hand when she looked at him. He was unconscious and was on a ventilator to help him breathe. His face was deathly pale. He had a bandage on his head and numerous IV’s. Abby felt Ducky put his arm around her shoulders.

“Abigail, I assure you it’s not as bad as it looks. Most of the IV’s are antibiotics and fluids to prevent dehydration. The ventilator was necessary to help his collapsed lung function. It will only be temporary.”

Abby sort of heard Ducky’s explanation, she was grateful that he was trying to calm her fears, but her mind was running a mile a minute. She walked over to the side of his bed and gently stroked his cheek. He looked so peaceful and innocent. She forgot all of her anger towards him and vowed that she would tell him about the baby as soon as he woke up.

When the nurse told them they had to leave, Abby managed to talk her into letting her stay. Ducky and Tony had left after Abby swore she would be fine and would call them if anything changed. They told her they would be back first thing in the morning. She sat by Tim’s bed just watching him until she drifted off to sleep.

Abby stirred when she heard someone moving in the room. She opened her eyes to see a nurse changing the IV bags and checking on Tim.

The nurse smiled at her gently. “Good morning.”

Abby stood and stretched. “How is he?” She looked at him. His color had improved greatly and the bandage was gone from his head.

“Holding his own. No fever, which is good news. The doctor is going to evaluate him later to see if the ventilator can be removed. He’s very lucky.”

Abby stood by the bed again and gently ran her fingers through his hair. She could see where the bullet had grazed his head, just above his left ear. They had shaved a small patch of hair and she counted five stitches. She nodded in silent agreement and felt the tears forming in her eyes once again. The nurse gave her a sympathetic look and a smile before finishing up and leaving the room. Abby pulled the chair closer to the bed and sat down, taking Tim’s hand in hers. She rubbed the back of his hand with her thumb.

“Hey Tim, I wanted you to know I don’t hate you. In fact I love you more than you know. I never really told you that, have I? I need you to come back to me Tim. I need you so bad. I’m so afraid. I can’t do this alone Tim.” She started sobbing. “Please Tim. You have to wake up. I have to tell you something really important. Please. I love you Tim.”