- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs wife is killed in a shootout. He is left with a daughter to raise and is driven to alcohol, which had dire consequences.

I never thought this would happen...

Jethro Gibbs walked into Murphy's Bar and sat down. The bar tender walked up to him. "What can I get for ya?" He asked.

Gibbs looked up. "Uh, what's your specialty?" He asked.

"Moltov." The man replied.

"That's fine." Gibbs said.

"All right." The bartender replied. He poured the drink and handed it to Gibbs. "How you doing bub?"

Gibbs looked up. "Terrible."

"Awh. Sorry to hear that." The bartender said.

"Yeah." Gibbs replied.

"Sounds bad."

"It was." Gibbs answered.

"I've heard them all. Let me guess. Problem with a woman?" He questioned.

"You could say that." Gibbs replied.

"Yeah, I'm pretty good at this." The bartender boasted. "Let me guess. She cheated on you?"

"Nope." Gibbs answered.

"Huh. She leave you?"

"In a way." Gibbs replied.

"Yeah, that can be tough."

Gibbs took a sip of his drink. "Yeah, it's been rough."

"Do you mind if I ask you what happened?"

"Not really." Gibbs said. He finished his drink. "Another please."

"Sure." He filled Gibbs glass up and handed it back to him.

Gibbs took another drink. "All right. Here goes." He replied.

A month earlier...

"Make sure you wear a vest." Gibbs replied.

Charlotte smiled. "I know. I was a police officer before this."

"I'm just telling you."

She kissed his forehead. "I love you."

"I love you too." Gibbs kissed her back.

They climbed into the sedan with Tony, McGee, and Eva. "Ready?" Tony asked.

"Yeah." Eva replied.

"Same here." McGee said.

"Great. Let's roll." Gibbs answered.

They drove the 15 minutes to a supposably abandoned warehouse in Washington D.C. "Check all weapons." Tony replied.

"Check." Tim said.

"Check." Eva and Charlotte replied.

"Good." Gibbs answered. "Let's go." They all emptied out of the car. "McGee, you and Tony, go around back. Charlotte, Eva, you're with me." Gibbs replied.

Charlotte followed Eva and Gibbs into the warehouse. A couple of shots rang out. Gibbs and Eva ducked behind a car. Charlotte dove behind some barrels on the opposite side of them. "You all right Charlotte?" Gibbs asked through the walkie talkies.

"Yeah." Charlotte replied. "I'm fine."

A couple more shots rang out. "Shit." Gibbs said, they shot back. "Move in." Eva followed him.

"We got shooters." Tony said over the walkie talkies.

"Shit. I've been hit." McGee replied.

"How bad?" Eva asked.

"I'm fine." Tim answered back.

"Good." Gibbs replied.

Tony and McGee joined Gibbs and Eva. "Hey, where's Charlotte?"

Gibbs looked back. "I don't know. She was over behind some barrels."

"Maybe she's ahead of us?" Eva said.

"I'm going back." Gibbs replied.

More shots rang out. "Shoot!" Tony yelled. They all started shooting in the same direction. Silence followed. The gunmen were dead. They moved in to make sure the gunmen were dead. "Clear." Tony yelled.

"I'm going to find Charlotte." Gibbs replied. He walked back towards the entrance. "Charlotte?" He walked behind the barrels. "Charlotte!" He screamed. "Call an ambulance!" He yelled to Tony.

"Shit." Tony pulled out his cellphone.

Eva ran over to Gibbs and Charlotte. Gibbs was performing CPR. Eva felt for a pulse. "Damn." She said. "Gibbs, stop." She replied.

He kept going. "No."

She pulled him off her. He was crying. Eva hugged him closely. McGee and Tony came over. "Shit." Tony said.

McGee wiped the corner of his eyes. "I'm sorry."

Sept. 18th -

Gibbs looked across the cemetery. "I can't believe this."

"Me either." Eva replied.

"I never thought this would happen." Gibbs said.

"None of us did." Tony answered.

"None of us." McGee answered.

"Yeah." Gibbs replied.

Hannah pulled on her dad's pant leg. "Daddy. I'm tired."

"I know." Gibbs picked her up.

"Are you ready?" Eva asked Gibbs.

"Yeah." Gibbs followed them towards the car.

"You're coming over to my house, right?" Eva asked.

"Yeah." Gibbs replied.

Sept. 30th -

Gibbs sat up in bed. Hannah was crying. He walked briskly down the hallway and into her bedroom. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" He asked.

"I had a bad dream." She hugged him.

"It's only a dream. It's not real." Gibbs said soothingly.

"When's mommy coming home?" She asked.

Gibbs sighed. "Sweetheart. She's not."

"What?" Hannah asked.

"Mommy went to heaven." Gibbs replied.

"Will I go to heaven?" Hannah asked.

"Yes. Someday." Gibbs said.

"I don't want to go to heaven. That means I can't live here no more." Hannah answered.

Gibbs chuckled. "You'll be old, and trust me, you'll want to."

"But, mommy wasn't old." Hannah replied.

"You will be." Gibbs said. "I know."

Hannah smiled. "Okay, daddy." She hugged him. "I love you."

"I love you too." Gibbs pulled the blanket up to her shoulders. He got up and walked back to his bedroom. He sat down at the desk and looked at the picture in the frame. He started to cry. He opened the drawer and pulled out a half full bottle of Jack and drank the rest. He got up and walked downstairs. He opened the cupboard and searched for another bottle. He found it and drank the rest of that bottle as well.

Present day -

"Will you watch Hannah?" Gibbs asked Eva.

"Yes." Eva replied. "I have to go to my Aunt Emma's house this evening. So please make sure you're back by 5."

"All right." Gibbs answered. He looked back over his shoulder at Eva holding Hannah's hand. He waved at Hannah.

"Bye Daddy." She called out.

"Bye, Hannah." Gibbs smiled at her. He walked back down the street and got in his car. He drove around town, and went to four different bars before walking into Murphy's Bar. "Now I'm here." He replied.

"Wow, that's the saddest story I've ever heard." The bartender replied.

"Yeah." Gibbs said. He put his drink down. "I'll take another."

The guy filled Gibbs glass up. "That's the last."

Gibbs downed the drink and set the glass down. "Thanks." Gibbs replied.

"No problem man. Maybe you should get some professional help." The bartender said.

"Thanks." Gibbs put a twenty down and staggered outside. He reached into his pocket and tried to find his keys. "Damn." He staggered backwards. A car horn blared. Gibbs looked up as a Ford Truck slammed into him.