- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony runs into a woman he knew in college. But, it isn't real, she died that morning. Why did she come to him?

Goodbye, Allison

Tony DiNozzo walked down Peabody Street in Georgetown, Maryland. He had just finished another greuling day at NCIS. He needed a break, to sip a beer with some buddies, or park himself in front of a football game and eat a pizza. He wanted to drool a little. Pizza sounded so good. He rounded the corner and came face to face with a woman he hadn't seen in almost 10 years. "Allison Greene?" He asked.

The woman looked up at him from her crouching position next to a store front. "What's it to you?" She asked.

"You don't remember me do you. Anthony DiNozzo, Ohio State." Tony replied.

She thought for a moment. "Yeah, I remember you."

"I remember you too." Tony said. He looked at the rags that she wore for clothes and how matted her hair was, and the dirt smudge under her eye. He thought back to college. She was a beautiful blonde then, with designer clothes, and money to tout. Allison came from a rich family. How could she end up like this.

A man came out of the storefront. "Didn't I already tell you, no loitering!" He yelled.

"She's not loitering." Tony replied.

"The hell she isn't. She's been in front of my shop for an hour! If you don't leave I'm calling the cops!"

"I'm goin'." Allison grabbed the bag next to her. She started to walk in the opposite direction of Tony.

Tony stood for a second and then ran after her. "Allison, wait. Can I buy you something to eat?" He asked.

"You don't want to waste your time." Allison replied.

"No, really. I don't mind. I would've ate alone anyhow."

"That's not the Anthony DiNozzo I knew." Allison said.

"We all change." Tony answered.

"True. All right. Where to? No place fancy now, remember, I left my Chanel at home." She chuckled.

"How about Gary's Pub?" Tony said. "You know it?"

"Yeah, I know it." Allison replied. "That's fine."

"All right."

They walked down the street and Tony found the Pub. They went inside and ordered food.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, let me guess. You want to know how I ended up like this?" Allison replied.

"Yeah." Tony said.

"Well, it all started right after college. I fell in love, married this guy, had a couple of kids, got divorced. I lost everything when my dad's company went under, developed a heroin addiction, got kicked out of the cheap motel I was living in, hoped a bus to New York, lived their for awhile, got an alcohol addiction. Then I moved to D.C. and lived with my sister for awhile, you remember Amber?" Allison said.

"Yeah."

"She married a Senator from Georgia. They have more money than they can count. Tried to get me in rehab. I lapsed, and you don't want that on your record when you're going to run for President. I was kicked out..." She thought. "Two weeks ago. Been living on the street ever since. I'm trying to get enough money to go to California, start over fresh. I'd like to see my boys again someday, just to tell them that I love them and miss them and wish this hadn't happened. Last time I heard they were living in Chicago with my ex-husband, Charles Bronson and the former maid."

"Wow." Tony said.

"Yeah, my life hasn't exactly been a piece of cake." Allison replied. "How about you?" She asked. "Married, any kids?" She looked at his hand. "Take that as a no."

"Nope, no relationships right now, except with a little dog named Tony." He said.

"You named your dog after yourself?" She asked.

"No, it was my partners. She was killed last month. I inherited it her." Tony said.

Allison nodded. "So, you still talk to your friends from school?"

"Yeah. We went to Panama City last year." Tony replied.

"Uh. Sounds like fun. Always wanted to go back to the beach."

"California has beaches." Tony replied.

"I know, that's one reason why I want to go." Allison said.

"Pizza's done." A waitress put the pizza in front of them.

"Yum. Pepperoni, my favorite." Tony replied.

"Me too." Tony said.

Allison smiled at him, as she woofed down three slices.

Tony watched her as she ate. "Wow."

"Yeah, I'm a big eater. Don't look it though." Allison said.

"I can see that." Tony replied.

Later...

"I wanted to thank you for the food." Allison said.

"It was no problem." Tony replied, as they walked down the street. "Where are you going to stay tonight?" He asked.

"Uh, probably Anacostia park." Allison replied.

"Why don't you come stay at my house." Tony said.

"That's awfully sweet of you, but I think I can manage." Allison replied.

"I really think you should." Tony answered. "It's dangerous out here, and I can help you. I want to help you."

Allison looked at the ground. "I'm sorry. As nice as your offer is, I have to refuse. Thank you for the food though. I'll send you a postcard from California." She took off down the street.

"Allison, wait!" Tony called out. He took off after her, but lost her halfway down the block. Tony panted as he caught his breath. He looked around for her, and even drove to Anacostia park, but couldn't find her. He went back to his apartment and collapsed to the couch. "Shit." He cleaned up a little and took a shower.

The next morning...

Tony yawned and strecthed before he got out of bed. He put his robe on and walked slowly to the front door. A light coating of snow had fallen. He hit his head with is hand. "I should've found her." He replied. Tony picked up the paper and read the headline. He let the paper fall to the snow covered porch. "What?" He picked it up and read it again. "The unidentified body of a woman was found yesterday afternoon in Georgetown, please are still baffled as to her identity. She's a blonde, in her 20's, with a tattoo of a rose on left arm." Tony looked around. "It can't be." He ran back to his room and dressed quickly. He drove to the city morgue. The Medical Examiner took him back to identify the body. "That's her. That's Allison Greene." Tony replied. "When did you find her?" He asked.

"Yesterday afternoon." The M.E. said.

"That's impossible." Tony whispered. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, time of death was yesterday morning, but a man found her body yesterday afternoon." The M.E. said.

"No, it can't be." Tony replied. "I had dinner with her yesterday."

"You what?" The M.E. asked.

"Nothing." Tony replied. "Different day. But, yes, that's Allison."

A couple of days later...

Tony fidgeted in the chair he was sitting in. Broson Inc.'s lobby reminded him of a hospital, and he hated hospitals. "Mr. DiNozzo, I'm sorry, Mr. Bronson has meetings scheduled back to back, came you come back tomorrow?" The receptionist asked.

"Look lady. I don't have that long. I have to be back in D.C. in a couple of hours. Can you just tell the man it's important?" Tony questioned.

"All right, sir. Give me a second." She picked up the phone and talked lowly. "All right. You have 5 minutes, you can catch him in the hall on the third floor." She buzzed the elevator.

"Thanks." Tony said. "It's not like it killed ya." He whispered before getting on the elevator. He got off on the third floor.

"What can I do for you?" A man with gray hair and glasses asked.

"Are you Charles Bronson?" Tony asked.

"Yes, walk with me." He replied.

Tony followed him down the hall. "This is about your ex-wife, Allison."

"What has she done now?" He questioned.

"She's dead." Tony replied.

Charles stopped in his tracks. "She's what?"

"She's dead. She died four days ago. She wanted me to tell her boys that she's sorry and misses them." Tony replied.

"I'm suprised she was sober enough to say that." Charles said, picking up his pace again.

"There's going to be a memorial service on Saturday at McAeffy Cemetary." Tony replied.

"Yes, yes. That's well and all." Charles said. "Thank you, I'll relay the message. I must get back to work." He opened a door and shut it before Tony could get another word out.

Tony stood in the same spot staring at the grains of wood in the door. He walked slowly out of the building.

Saturday afternoon... McAefffy Cemetary...

White doves were released over a lake at the back of the memorial park as a eulogy was read for Allison. A few people showed up. Tony stood closest to the minister as he finished. After the people had gone, Tony remained. "Excuse me." He heard behind him.

"Yes?" Tony turned and was met by two little boys holding red roses.

"We're Benjamin and Franklin Bronson." The older boy said.

"I'm Anthony DiNozzo." Tony replied.

The older boy and his brother laid the roses next to the other flowers. "Did you know our mother?" They asked.

"Yes." Tony replied. "We go back. She was a very lovely women when I knew her."

"She was." Benjamin, the oldest replied.

"Yes. She wanted me to tell you guys something." Tony said. "She wanted me to tell you that she was sorry and that she still loved you."

The boys smiled. "We love her too." Franklin took his brother's hand. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He watched the two boys climb back into the black limo they came in. He turned towards the lake again, and watched a white dove fly over. He smiled. "I hope I did all right." He whispered, before walking away.