- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony gets sick and it goes down hill from there

Without rising up to look at the clock, Gibbs had no idea what the time was. He did know the sun was high in the sky from the way the light came through the window. He had been spooning with Tony since Ducky left. Tony had finally stopped shivering and was now going back to being too warm. That wasn’t a good sign.

He tried to pull away, to go after another cloth and more cool water to bathe Tony, but every time he tried to move, Tony would start to thrash about, mumbling in his fever-induced sleep. It was as if he was caught in a web of nightmares and the only thing that quieted them was the feel of the body snuggled up next to his own, so Gibbs just lay there, soaking up the feel of the naked form pressed to this own body.

He had seen Tony nude many times after a workout in the gym or a sparring match on the mat. If he was truthful with himself, he always looked forward to the sight of a sweaty, naked Tony in the locker room. The younger man was comfortable with his body. He didn’t flaunt his nakedness, but neither was he shy about being seen.

He remembered the conversation they’d had after the incident with the envelope and they had all gone to shower. Gibbs had admitted to getting the Honey Dust from Tony. The younger agent had played it off as an accident, but now Gibbs wasn’t so sure. It was as if pieces of a puzzle were coming together. Maybe it hadn’t been an accident that he’d gotten it. He still had it, unopened. Honey wasn’t a flavor he cared for, but perhaps if mixed with the flavor of Anthony DiNozzo…

"Boss, watch out!" Tony yelled, thrashing about.

‘Tony, relax, I’m right here," Gibbs said softly into Tony’s ear, trying not to startle the young man.

"Boss, God, no," Tony moaned, starting to cry. He woke up to the feel of a hand on his chest and started moving away, unsure of where he was and whom he was with.

‘Tony, calm down, it’s me," Gibbs once again said in calm and even tones.

"Boss."

"Yes. I’m right here, holding you."

Tony skin was unnaturally hot again, worrying Gibbs.

Tony rolled over, eye-to-eye and nose-to-nose with Gibbs, close enough that his warm breath hit Gibbs’ face. Tony was too sick and had thrown up one time too many for the scent to be pleasant, but Gibbs didn’t care. It was Tony, and that was all that really mattered right now. Now that he had finally opened up about his feelings for Tony, he wasn’t about to shut down over a little thing like bad breath.

"Boss, um."

"Tony, we’re in bed together. Think you can call me Jethro?"

"Yeah, um, sure. Jethro, what are you doing?"

Tony got no further with his questions, rolling over quickly to find the pail on the floor next to the bed. It was no longer dry heaving. Instead there was a yellow liquid coming out. The stomach bile burned coming up, and his chest hurt like hell from the force of trying to bring up the vile matter from his stomach.

Gibbs moved a little closer, supporting his front so Tony would not fall out of bed and again rubbing his back in small circular motions.

"Shh, it’s okay, Tony, you’re doing fine," Gibbs said, keeping his voice calm and even.

Tony stopped throwing up but didn’t move back just yet. He just hung there, feeling Gibbs’ hands on his chest and back, reeling from the touch of his boss.

"Tony let’s get you lying down again."

Gibbs pulled Tony up and laid him down, letting the pillows support him so he wasn’t lying flat. Tony started to cough again. Gibbs could feel the young man’s chest tense up during the violent coughing fit. The coughing triggered another round of retching, sending Tony’s head over the side of the bed once more.

Gibbs was getting worried. If Ducky didn’t come back soon, he was taking Tony to the ER, no matter how much he protested. He knew Tony didn’t like going to the hospital, but he wasn’t taking any chances with his senior agent’s life.

Tony once again stopped heaving and needed help to sit back up. Gibbs made him sit up even more this time, hoping the upright position would, if not stop, then slow down the coughing.

"Boss."

"I thought we just agreed."

"Sorry, Jethro."

"Yes, Tony?"

"What are you doing?" Tony couldn’t see below the sheets but knew Gibbs was at least shirtless.

"What does it look like, DiNozzo?"

"Lying in my-" Tony started coughing again.

Gibbs climbed out of bed and went to change the water in the basin and get a fresh cloth. Tony’s eyes widened as Gibbs returned. The man’s boxers had some serious tenting going on in front. His gaze swung up to Gibbs’ face as the older man sat down next to him on the edge of the bed.

"Why are you in my bed half-naked?"

‘Trying to take care of someone I love," Gibbs said a bit nervously.

Tony’s eyes widened even further. "You love me?"

"Yes, Tony, I do. I’m just sorry it took so long to tell you."

Tony started coughing again. Gibbs wrung out the cloth and wiped Tony’s forehead with the cool water. He had to stop when Tony once again leaned over the bed, retching.

"Okay, that’s it, I’m taking you to the ER."

"No. No hospitals. No, Jethro."

"Tony, you’re sick."

"NO. No hospital, please."

"If Ducky doesn’t call within the hour, you’re going. I-" Gibbs stopped what he was saying and sighed, instead asking, "Do you think you can drink something?"

"No."

"Tony, you have to stay hydrated. You’ve lost a lot of fluids between the throwing up and the sweating. You need to drink something."

"I don’t think so."

"How about you humor me and try."

"What?"

"Well, let’s try water for now. I’m going to go get a glass of fresh water, okay?" Gibbs said gently, taking full note of the fear in Tony’s dilated eyes.

"Boss. Jethro."

"Relax, Tony, I’m just going to the kitchen. I’ll be right back, okay?"

Tony nodded, his eyes following the nearly naked form of his boss as he left the room. He’d wanted to get Gibbs in his bed since they’d met in Baltimore, but this wasn’t the way he’d envisioned it.

Gibbs could feel Tony’s gaze on him as he walked out of the master bedroom, and he wondered why he’d never before realized just how Tony looked at him. Shaking his head at his own blindness, he took a clean glass out of the cabinet and filled it with tap water, since that was all Tony had at the moment. When was Abby going to bring those groceries? Tony needed the Gatorade he’d put on the list.

When he walked back into the bedroom, the bed was empty, and there was no sign of Tony.

"Tony."

Gibbs looked around, noticing that the bathroom door was closed. Okay, so Tony had just had to answer the call of nature. He heard water running, followed by a crash. He ran to the door, spilling some of the water but not caring. All that mattered was Tony and making sure he was okay.

Gibbs opened the door and saw the naked Tony sprawled out on the floor, unconscious. Putting the glass on the vanity, Gibbs bent down and placed his fingers over Tony’s carotid artery, please when he felt a strong pulse.


"Tony, can you hear me?" He patted Tony’s face. "Come on, Tony, wake up," Gibbs said, continuing to pat Tony’s face.

Tony began to stir, moving his head against the cool tile of the bathroom floor.

"Good, there you are. Come on, where are those beautiful hazel eyes of yours?" Gibbs teased gently, brushing the hair off Tony’s forehead.

Tony opened his eyes.

"There they are. Okay, we’re going to have to sit you up. Can you do that?"

"My head hurts."

"Let’s get you sitting, then we can see about that thick skull of yours."

Gibbs moved Tony’s legs a little, helping him sit up to lean against the large whirlpool tub.

"You okay?"

"The room is spinning," Tony admitted.

Gibbs gently moved Tony’s head around, sifting through his hair till he found a good-sized bump on the back of the young man’s head.

Gibbs sighed. "What were you thinking, Tony?"

"I had to go."

"Then you should have waited till I got back and I would have helped you."

"Boss, I’m fine, I don’t need help."

"Tony do you remember anything from today?"

"No, not till I woke up and had to go to the bathroom."

Gibbs touched Tony’s forehead. The young man was burning up again. "Let’s get you back to the bed and we can try talking a little. Okay?"

"Boss, why are you here?" Tony’s gaze roamed over his boss. "Half-naked?"

"I’m taking care of someone special," Gibbs said with a smile, his piercing blue eyes meeting Tony’s hazel orbs as he put his hand under Tony’s arm and lifted with his knees, helping an unsteady Tony to his feet.

"See, you should have waited, Tony."

"Sorry, Boss, but I didn’t even know you were here," Tony said as Gibbs helped him back to the bed and sat him on the edge.

"Don’t move," Gibbs ordered.

When he’d undressed he’d left his clothing lying on the floor. Warming Tony had been more important than worrying about folding his clothes neatly. Picking up his pants, he took out the small flashlight he always carried and returned to Tony’s side.

Having Tony lean forward a bit, he examined the bump on the back of his head. There was a tiny cut in the middle of the knot. Fortunately it was small enough that it didn’t bleed much, not like head wounds usually did.

"Okay, I think your thick head saved you yet again, DiNozzo," Gibbs teased, picking up the damp cloth he’d earlier had on Tony’s forehead and placing it over the cut on his scalp.

"Boss, did you mean what you just said?"

"Tony, when have I ever said anything I didn’t mean? Right now we need to worry about getting you better, then we’ll have a long talk."

Gibbs looked Tony straight in the eyes. Unable to resist, Tony leaned forward and kissed his boss, jumping in headfirst. At first Gibbs didn’t respond, once again shocked that Tony was kissing him, but after a moment he returned the kiss, slanting his head for a better angle. He groaned when Tony’s tongue invaded his mouth.

Gibbs had to pull away before this got out of hand. His erection had subsided during the ordeal with helping Tony off the floor, but after that soul-stealing kiss he was hard again. Tony, too, it was obvious to see, was excited. Kind of hard to miss when the gorgeous young man was naked.

"Tony, I, well let’s think about getting you well before we continue this."

Tony gave him a look that reminded him of a puppy that had just been smacked with a newspaper.

"Now, don’t look like that, Tony. I want to kiss you, believe me I want that, I have for a long time, but you’re sick. If I get sick, too, who will take care us both?" Gibbs never broke eye contact with Tony. "Hmm?"

"Okay, but we can continue when I’m better," Tony said, giving Gibbs that huge smile he used when he wanted to get his way.

"We’ll talk," Gibbs corrected, kissing Tony’s nose and helping him back against the pillows and under the covers. He was smoothing the comforter over Tony’s chest when he heard knocking.

"I’m going to see who that is. Think I can leave you alone for a few minutes without you getting into too much trouble?"

"Yes, sir," Tony said smartly, playing the part of subordinate.

Gibbs reached out to smack Tony on the back of the head, then remembered the bump and instead turned it into a caress. Tony’s eyes closed from the feel of his boss’ hand on his head and he made a sound somewhat like a satisfied purr.

Gibbs wanted to explore that sound, to learn what else caused that purr, but whoever was at the door was knocking again. Sighing, Gibbs put on his pants and pulled his shirt over his head.

"I’m coming," Gibbs called as he neared the front door. Looking through the peephole, he saw the doctor on the other side.

Gibbs opened the door. "It’s about damned time."

"Feeling a bit out of sorts, Jethro?" Ducky questioned, looking Gibbs over from head to toe and taking note of the changes since he’d last seen him.

Gibbs saw all the bags outside the door and scowled. "Please tell me you didn’t carry all those yourself," he said, stepping barefoot into the hallway and bringing in the grocery bags.

"No," Ducky said, closing the door once everything was inside, "Young Timothy is out in the car waiting till I return."

"You told McGee?"

"No, he only knows that you and Tony are in quarantine. Abigail was really the person who brought him in. She was busy and had him run out to get the groceries and gather your things."

"McGee went through my clothing?" Gibbs barked.

"Relax, Jethro, I think it affected him more then it will you." Ducky looked at Gibbs over the top of his glasses after the last of the groceries had been put away in the kitchen. "I see that you and Anthony have been busy."

"What?" Gibbs questioned, wondering what his old friend was talking about.

"Your shirt, Jethro, is inside out. It was not like that when I left. I really think if you are going to have relations with the young man, you should wait till he is better." Ducky smiled. "Of course," he continued as he headed towards the bedroom, "from the looks of the strain on your zipper, I would say I interrupted just in time."