- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony got sick and a famly all at once

When the men returned home, Tony flopped down on the sofa, put his feet on the table and basically passed out. Gibbs was feeling a little lightheaded and run down himself as well, but he needed to get some things done. He covered Tony with a throw from the back of the sofa, kissed his head and walked upstairs. He put all the bags of stuff they'd bought for Jenny in the one spare room. They had left an outfit for her to wear home on Wednesday, but everything else had been brought back with them.

Gibbs then proceeded to go up to the attic. He looked at the boxes stored there and all the dust covering everything in the room, then set to work. There were about twenty boxes in all; they would be moved to the basement eventually, after they had been gone through, but for now he put them in the spare room. He had to make room for the bed that was being delivered on Thursday.

It took nearly two hours to move the boxes, and when he was done his breathing was harsher than it should have been from just that. He was, in fact, nearly huffing and puffing from the minor exertion, which wasn't like him since he was in great shape. Finished for the night, he went back downstairs to see Tony still passed out on the sofa. He laid down on the sofa, putting his head in Tony's lap and passed out himself.

Sometime in the middle of the night Tony's eyes snapped open. Feeling a strange pressure in his lap, he looked down and was just able, with the light from the hallway, to make out Gibbs lying there. Tony put his hand on Gibbs, his smile turning to a frown when he felt how warm Gibbs felt to the touch. He wasn't really hot, but neither was he at his normal temperature.

"Boss," Tony said softly, stroking Gibbs' forehead.

"Yes," Gibbs murmured sleepily, not waking up as quickly as he normally would have.

"You okay?"

"My back is killing me, but other then that, I'm fine. Why?" Gibbs asked, looking into Tony's eyes. Even in the meager light, he could see the love and concern there.

"You feel warm."

"I was working, Tony." Gibbs sat up, again feeling a little lightheaded and as if his head was the size of a watermelon.

Tony saw Gibbs sway a little when he got up and said, "No, you're not okay. This is not like you."

"I'm fine, DiNozzo."

"I'm not buying it." Tony got up, went into the bathroom and found a thermometer, then went back to the living room. "Under the tongue."

"I'm fine, honey," Gibbs said again, looking up at Tony now with the added light from the bathroom.

Tony reached over and turned on the lamp on the table. "Humor me please, baby," Tony cajoled, then froze when he realized what he'd just said. He put his hand on Gibbs' head and played with his hair. It was just a small word, but it was monumental when you'd never called anyone that before.

"Okay," Gibbs conceded, taking the thermometer, putting it under his tongue and looking at his watch.

Tony sat on the sofa and pulled Gibbs closer to lean on his chest. "They do make digital thermometers, you know."

Gibbs rolled his eyes. Figured Tony couldn't even have a thermometer that wasn't high tech.

After a minute Tony pulled it out of Gibbs' mouth and looked at it. "You're running a low grade fever, so you want to tell me again how you're really feeling?"

"It's nothing, honey. Must be from moving all the boxes out of the attic."

"You did that without me?"

"Yes. I seem to remember you've had trouble breathing, and it was very dusty up there. You're still getting better after your little stay in the hospital. Speaking of which, it's past time for your meds."

Gibbs got up, still feeling lightheaded, and went into the kitchen, Tony right behind him.

"Go lay down, Tony."

"Not unless you do, too," Tony said, standing there with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Tony, I'm fine."

"Then you won't mind if I call Ducky."

Tony walked out of the room, heading for the phone in the living room, Gibbs right behind him with a glass of water and Tony's pills.

"You are not calling Ducky at 0100."

"Baby, you were out in the rain the other day, for God knows how long. What if it's more than just a fever? You wouldn't want to give me something that might make me sicker, would you?" Tony said, playing his own health card with a smile.

Gibbs stewed for a moment. "Fine, I might be coming down with a cold. Happy now?"

"I'll be happy when you take some Nyquil and get in bed for some sleep."

Tony took his own meds, then went back to the bathroom and found Nyquil in the medicine cabinet. He poured out the prescribed amount and handed it to Gibbs with a smile.

"Please," was all Tony said.

"Okay, but for the record, I hate this stuff."

"Hey, look at it this way. It's the only medicine that comes with it's own shot glass."

Gibbs rolled his eyes and knocked back the burning liquid, not even bothering to hide his grimace. "Happy?"

"Yes, but for so many other reasons."

Tony leaned in and kissed the handsome man in front of him, running one hand up to Gibbs' head and the other hand over Gibbs' back, slipping it up under his shirt, flattening it against the warm, smooth skin there.

Gibbs returned the kiss longingly, running his own hand down underneath the back of Tony's pants and over the smooth-skinned ass. His other hand slid upwards around Tony's neck.

Tony started to nip down to Gibbs' neck, opening his mouth over the vulnerable flesh. Gibbs let out a cry at the feel of the hot, wet mouth on his throat.

"No, we can't. Both of us are sick and need rest." Gibbs stepped away from the loving, even though he wanted nothing so much as to continue.

"But-"

Gibbs put a finger over Tony's lips. "Tony, I love you, and I love making love to you, but it's not all I want from you. Right now we're both very tired, and I'm running a low grade fever, so how about we take a rain check and just go up and cuddle and fall asleep."

Tony broke out into laughter.

"What's so funny?"

"Never would have pegged you for the cuddling type, Boss," Tony said, embracing Gibbs. "But I think I might like that. You're huggable."

Gibbs smiled and took Tony's hand in his, holding it as they went upstairs. Gibbs got undressed, throwing his clothing into the hamper. Tony left his lying on the floor. Gibbs looked at the beautiful naked man.

"Um, Tony."

"What?"

"We have a hamper."

Tony smiled. "Yeah, I know, but I can put my clothes in it in the morning. Right now I have more important things to do."

Tony walked over to Gibbs, took his hand again and led him to the bed. Pulling back the covers, they both got into bed.

"You know, I was thinking that once Jenny comes home we might have to start sleeping with clothing on."

"Why?" Tony questioned, laying his head on Gibbs' chest a mere inch from his nipple. He kissed the nubbin, causing Gibbs to suck in a breath.

"Well, I remember-" Gibbs began, stopping suddenly when painful memories made his chest tighten. He was remembering when Megan was alive and she would come into his and her mother's room.

Tony felt the strength drain out of the man and knew what he was thinking about. "Boss, you know I'm here to talk, right?"

"Yes, honey, I know. It's just another reason to talk to a counselor. I have a lot I never talked to anyone about, not even Ducky. He knows about my first ex-wife and that our daughter died, but that's about all."

Tony kissed Gibbs' chest again. "It's okay, baby, I understand. And I understand why you think we should wear clothes to bed. It's in case Jenny needs us and comes into our room in the middle of the night."

"Yes," Gibbs said, kissing Tony's head again.

"Do me a favor, please, Jethro."

"If I can."

"Take it easy the next few days. If you have a cold, let's keep it minor."

"I think I can do that, but what about the move?"

"I know this guy. He was a cop at the same time I was in Baltimore, and he had to take retirement after fucking up his leg. He owns a moving company now. I was going to give him a call and have him pack up the place and move everything over. We can get a storage place for anything we don't keep here."

Tony stopped talking when he realized Gibbs' breathing had changed, becoming slow and steady in sleep. Kissing Gibbs' chest once again, Tony closed his eyes and let himself drift to sleep, loving the security of being wrapped in Gibbs' arms.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tony was the first to wake. That, in and of itself, was an unusual occurrence. The fact that Gibbs was nearly snoring was further proof that the man wasn't one hundred percent. He didn't even awaken when Tony left the bed to slip into a pair of boxers. The underwear would have to do for now since they'd forgotten and left his suitcase in the car.

Tony ran down the stairs and into the kitchen, expecting the smell of coffee to greet him. He stopped and blinked in shock, thinking Gibbs must have been worse than he let on to forget to ready the automatic coffee maker. He started a pot. While it was brewing he called his buddy about the move, knowing he would already be on the go at 8:30 AM. He talked to the man for a bit about personal things, then made arrangements for the move.

If everything went well, by Saturday everything would be packed up and moved. Tony was grateful for that. Many more nights sleeping in Gibbs' bed and he'd need traction for his back. It was no wonder the man rarely slept there. Even sleeping under the boat in the basement had to be better than that crappy mattress.

After finishing the arrangements for the move, Tony called around and found a storage unit large enough for his extra things and Monica's and Jenny's stuff. It was a bonus that the unit wasn't far from Gibbs' place. Eventually he knew Jenny would want to go through her mother's things and decide what to keep, what to give to charity and what to throw away.

Tony poured a cup of coffee for Gibbs and carried it up to the master bedroom. Once there he just stood there in the doorway, looking at the man he loved sleeping and thinking how much his life had changed in one short week.

Who would have thought him getting sick and being hospitalized would lead to such a life change, resulting in finally being with the man of his dreams. For that matter, who would have thought Gibbs swung both ways. He'd never guessed. The man had never given any indication that was he anything but a straight arrow.

But then Tony started to think about what he knew of the man and their relationship up to that point. The head slaps, the getting up into his face, maybe those had been signs all along and he just hadn't realized.

Whatever. That was the past. Now there was only the future to think of. A future with the man he loved. The only person he'd ever made love to; all the others had merely been sex, no love involved. Love was one of those four letter words that actually made a difference.

On top of the illness and the revelations between Gibbs and himself was the passing away of a friend and the gaining of a daughter. God, that was hard to wrap his mind around, the fact that for all intents and purposes he was now a father. It would be the first time for him but the second for Gibbs. He was glad they'd talked to Jenny, letting her know they didn't have any intention of trying to replace her mother but would be there for whatever she needed. They COULDN'T replace her mother, but they could love her like they'd both already started to do.

Gibbs started to stir, and Tony snapped out of his little daydream. Gibbs mumbled, eyes still closed. He wasn't even fully awake, but he could smell the coffee. Tony walked into the room, standing next to the bed and looking down at Gibbs as he opened those beautiful blue eyes.

"Hey there Marine," Gibbs said, voice sleep-rough and sexy. "Come here often?"

Tony sat down on the side of the bed and put the coffee mug on the nightstand. "Only when the ship brings me to port. But it looks like now I have a better reason to stay in port."

"What might that be?" Gibbs asked, grabbing Tony around the waist and pulling him down into a kiss.

"Mmm. You." Tony smiled, looking at his lover, his boss, his life mate.

"Nice."

Tony leaned in for another kiss. It wasn't the prelude to anything more, merely a good morning kiss. Sure there was passion, but more than anything there was love. Gibbs pulled away with a smile, closing his eyes and lying back against the pillow once more.

"What time is it?"

"About nine. I called the movers already and found a storage unit. We need to stop on the way to the hospital to sign the papers and pay a deposit. I'm going to have to do something about my apartment, too. I might have to pay more to break the lease since I just signed a new contract."

"Some places have a house clause so that if you buy one you can get out of your contract, and now that you own a house, you might be able to use that," Gibbs said with a smile, sitting up.

Tony put his hand on Gibbs' forehead. "You feel normal this morning."

"See, it was nothing."

"Nah, I think it's just because the germs were not stupid enough to hang around you."

Tony smiled, handed Gibbs the coffee and got up to go shower. Gibbs drank the whole cup of coffee, then got out of bed and walked down to get more, not bothering to put anything on. When he got back, he walked into the bathroom and leaned against the sink. Tony was just getting out of the shower.

"What happened to modesty and a little girl?"

"That is for tomorrow. For today…" Gibbs shrugged, smiling at the sight of a wet, naked Tony.

"Well, shit."

"What?" Gibbs asked, one brow rising.

"My stuff is in the car."

"Smart, DiNozzo."

"Hey, it was your fault. You distracted me before I got in the shower."

Gibbs smiled as he threw on a robe and walked outside to get Tony's suitcase since Tony's head was wet. When Gibbs came back he put the suitcase on the bed, then went to get a shower himself.

"How about we stop and pick up real food for Jenny and eat out at the diner," he called back into the bedroom, raising his voice to be heard over the water.

"Sounds like a plan to me," Tony called back, throwing on a pair of blue jeans and a gray turtle neck sweater.

Gibbs came out of the shower before Tony was even finished putting on his socks.

"Damn, that was fast."

"Once a Marine, always a Marine."

"Sumper Fi," Tony said.

Gibbs smiled as he dried himself off. Tony just sat there, watching the water as it tracked over Gibbs' body.

Gibbs caught him staring. "What?"

"Just looking at the old war-wounds man in front of me and thinking that if you had been around when Michelangelo was sculpting David it would have been called Jethro," Tony said with a wicked smile.

Gibbs' cheeks pinkened just a bit. "I love you, too," he said, throwing on his clothing.

The boys stopped at the diner, ate then got something to go. Tony had never been around Jenny for breakfast, so he wasn't sure what she would like, so they got her waffles. Didn't all kids like things they could put syrup on? Tony then had a thought of Gibbs with syrup on him. How much better it would be with the flavor of Gibbs.

Jenny was happy to see them, hugging them both when they bent down to her, then digging into the waffles. They smiled indulgently as they watched her put them away as if she hadn't eaten in a week. That meant she was mending, at least physically.

They sat with her the whole day, halfway through Gibbs going back to the diner to get something for them all. When Jenny drifted to sleep after eating, they just sat there, watching her sleep and keeping guard.

Later in the afternoon the social worker came around and explained that tomorrow was merely a formality, and it would be quick and simple. The background check on them had panned out like she knew it would. They couldn't work for the Navy, doing what they did, if their backgrounds weren't clean.

Tony and Gibbs told Miss Parks about their plans to see a counselor. She thought it was a good idea and promised to bring them a list of names of counselors specializing in such problems when she saw them the next day at the hearing. Both men thanked her. She did say there would be a home inspection once before the formal adoption was finished, saying once again it was just a formality. They told her about Jenny's room and that she seemed to be happy about the idea.

After leaving the hospital later that night when visiting hours were over, they went home and got into an argument over cleaning out the attic. Gibbs didn't want Tony breathing in the dust. Tony came back with the fact that Gibbs himself had been sick the previous night and that he wasn't going to let him do this alone. They were, after all, in this together.

They settled on a compromise with Tony wearing a bandana tied over his mouth and nose.

Chapter End Notes:
YOu might what to read No More Sick days before this story