- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
MORE SHOCKING DETAILS.IS XANDROS REALLY GUILTY ? WHAT DRIVES KATE TO PUT HER WHOLE CAREER AT RISK ON DEFENDING HIM

Chapter 5

FORGIVEN NOT FORGOTTEN


Flashback

- Secret Service - shouted Kate , aiming in the crowd but assailant was already gone, melted with people down there.
- Call the ambulance now … ricoshet hit him and he's loosing a lot of blood - Kate was desperate to help young man lying on the ground , whole covered with blood.


- Were you day dreaming ? What is it Caitlin ? - asked Xandros , while pouring her a cup of juice.
- No, I just thought… about …
- What ???
- Nothing- answered Kate with tear rolling in her eye.


She remebered it all, and as despereately she wanted to forget, she just couldn't. She was feeling guilty, and needed an absolution.
She yearned to talk to him, about it… but she just couldn't say a word….

- Sth. bothers you Caitlin, and I can feel it. Tell me, what's goin on…-Alex was really worried.
- Ok, why are you digging in Major Austin's case … Is it for Kate? It's been almost 3 years. You still can't forget, Xandros?
- Yes, I can't. I wanna clear her name. I still believe, that she is innocent, besides ….
- Besides, what ? - Kate didn't wanted to hear that actually.

That would brake her heart …


- I really don't wanna talk about it. I just know, that she didn't do it. I don't want you, to have problems Caitlin, that's why I haven't told Gibbs, that we know eachother. I guess , it's better this way. And yes, that's why I joined NCIS , to investigate over this case. ……I just didn't plan, that I will meet you. … I… I really missed you and couldn't understand, why you decided to leave.
- I ….
- Hush, I know- Alex wrapped his arms around Kate and hugged her.


Meanwhile at NCIS - late at night


- He's name was Paul Hume. He got shot , around 1 pm. 3 bullets in the chest, close range. Beretta ?!.
- Thanx Ducky. What bothers me, is that again Alexandros was the last person, who was with him. He said, that he's meeting Hume at 1 . Too' perfect match, as for me.
- You suspect Alex, Jethro it's insane !!! - Ducky was bowled over. I must admit, that some circumstances are totally against Alex, but there must be logical explanation…
- What are you going to do? You gonna arrest him.?
- No Ducky.Frankly speaking, I just don't know…. Gotta think it all through.

While Gibbs was trying to find the solution, what to do next, Kate was still wondering, why Alex so desperately was digging in late Major Austin case.
She knew actually, but this deliberation was killing her… since Alex…… (..)


……………….


- 1 mil bucks for your thoughts Caitlin… - Alex leaned over Kate and she was absolutely ready to get lost in the moment. If only, he wasn't …..

- It's really late, I think I should go, before I - Kate hesitated, looking into his eyes, and grabbed a coat.
- Bye Xandros - she almost run to the door.
- Bye ….. Kate - he whispered.

Whole night Kate couldn't sleep. She went for a walk even.
Foremost she hated, when someone was calling her Caitlin… but she knew perfectly, that Alex will never call her Kate … That name was reserved, to the only woman he loved in his life.
And it wasn't her, though he dreamt bout it , since they become a bit closer.
His sudden appearance at NCIS , opened a long forgotten door. Door, Kate prefered to stay shut…

( Meanwhile at Gibb's )

- Hi boss
- Dinozzo, you know what time is it?
- it's important , really boss.
- wait Tony, I have another call …..

- Gibbs…. (…) I will be there as soon as possible.
- Office, now , Dinozzo. Whatever u wanna tell me , can wait.

( At NCIS )

- Thanx for coming Ducky.
- They got shot between 1-3 am. Shot like Hume. I can even say, same gun…..
- As much as I hate to say that , Alex was the last person leaving the office about 8… and he was in archives. Maybe, they found him, snooping and covering the tracks late at night, and he shot them.- Tony suggested.

- wait, did Alex know bout Hume.? - Abby joined the conversation.
- No, he came back from lunch at 2 pm with Kate, and then worked with me . We got to the point, that our guy is 1969 year- Tim reported. Then I went home, and Alex went to the archives…
- Dinozzo, call Kate - maybe she knows something - Gibbs ordered
- She switched on the cell , boss ….




(Next morning at lobby)

Kate decided to come earlier and focus on something. Unexpectadly Tony welcomed her, with coup written all over his face…

- Gibbs wants to talk to you in the conference room , high priority !
- What about ? Sth happened ?
- Can't say , you will see- Tony triumphed. But we gotta wait for the main guest …

(At CR)

- Where is your gun , Alex? - Gibbs asked.
- In the locker. I hate carrying gun with me….
- There is not ….It's not gonna be easy . But I gotta do this and arrest you Alex …We found Hume dead, u were the last person, seeing him alive, …plus we found your fingerprints on his briefcase…we have two dead agents, killed at night at the archives….. your berreta is missing Everything is against you unfortunatelly.
- I understand Gibbs , you wanna cuff me? - Alex was deadly calm.
- Just wait for me, in investigation room….


- Gibbs…. - shouted Kate as soon as Alex left the room. She knew, that Alex would never agree, on what she was planning to do..
- Gibbs, He couldn't kill Hume, we ate lunch together around 1 .
- What about these 2 guys ? - Tony went iritated, that Kate stood against them.
- He couldn't have killed them, as we…. - Kate went uncertain. - We spent this night together Gibbs …Alex was with me … We …. You can lecture me, about sleeping with people you work with later on…. But Xandros didn't kill them.
- Why are you defending this guy ?- Tony started to shout .
- Cause, I will never again stand against him - hissed Kate