- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sadness all around...
Gibbs looked over at Tony who was actually working and was very effective these days. That in its self was worrying. He was a good agent no doubt (alltough he hadn't said that to Tony), but he wasn't that good with paperwork.

There were some holes in Tony's story. Right after Tony's welcome, Ducky and himself had gone to the morgue and had a talk.
__

‘Why would our young boy lie to us?'

‘I don't know, Ducky. Something doesn't ad up.'

‘He said that he had got that mark from a knob on he counter when he fell.'

‘You don't believe that.' It wasn't a question, it was a simple fact.

‘When I looked on his face he said that it was just a misunderstanding. How can that fit in with a fall on a bathroom floor?'

‘It doesn't. I'll keep an eye out for him.'

‘You do that. And lets see what we can find out about this.'
___

"Boss?" Gibbs was snapped out of the memory by the sound of Tony's voice.

"What, DiNozzo?" The sharp voice surprised him, but it did nothing to Tony. He still looked sad like he had the last few days, ever since he had come back. They hadn't seen a smile or a hint of anything amusing in his eyes like they used to. Which really got to the team. Kate and McGee seemed to blame him for this. He could see it in their eyes. He didn't get angry over this. All though maybe he should, but they were just worried about their co-worker.

What really got him confused was that it didn't seem like Tony's mood had anything to do with him at all. He didn't act any diffrent to him than to the others. He was quiet, he did his work, he answered questions when asked. But he lacked the kick in his answers. He listened to Ducky when he started with one of his stories. He was way to nice to Kate and McGee. He didn't bicker with Kate, and he was actually respectfull towards everyone. Gibbs had noticed that both Kate and McGee had deliberatly said something that normally would have gotten them a smart remark at the very least. But Tony didn't take the bait. The only one that even could get a small hint of the good old Tony was Abby, but even she didn't get more than a halfhearted smile and even then it never reached his eyes. They still had the sad look.
"I think I might have found something to the Morris-case." Tony handed over two pages of the file. Gibbs took it and read what Tony pointed out to him. A smile slowly appeared on his face.

"We got him. Lets go!" They all grabed their gear and went out.

****

It had been a long day, but they had finally been able to solve a cold case that had been bugging them for months. Thanks to Tony and he did deserve the credit.

"Good work." Gibbs looked directly at Tony. "Good job, DiNozzo."

"Thank, boss." He got a small smile in return, but it was short and it didn't go to his eyes. He saw the disappointment in Kate and McGee. They had thought that this would get some response.

"Take a couple of hours off tomorrow. You've had a long day."

"Thanks, boss." They started to pack up and head out. Tony was first out as normal. Kate and McGee lingered. As soon as Tony was gone, they turned to their boss.

"What's going on, Gibbs?" Kate and McGee didn't accuse him anymore. Their voices told him that.

"I don't know, Kate. Something happend at his father's. I just don't know what. Yet."

***

When Tony finally got home to his apartment, he started cooking up something. He hadn't eaten in hours and wanted to eat something before he went to bed.

A long day indeed. He should be happy. He finally had gotten some approval from Gibbs. The remark he made wasn't gone, but he couldn't really blame him either. He was a failure and a mistake. Saying anything else would be a lie. He usually surpressed these fellings, but after the trip to his father's, all the guilt and selfhatred appeared again.

At work he could drown himself in work, so the memories wouldn't come. But the night was full of nightmares and after a few hours he gave up. That's when he took his grandfathers letters out again or just went into work. It wasn't a better place to investigate anyway and he didn't dare use company time when people were around, ecspesially Gibbs.
He pushed his plate away. He couldn't bring himself to eat much, so he gave up and went to bed.

***

Tony woke up covered in sweat. His heart was pounding in his chest and his breathing was fast. He took a few shallow breaths, before he was calm enough to breath normally. He looked over at his alarmclock. 1:26. He had only been able to sleep for a couple of hours, but he got up anyway. He knew he wouldn't get much more sleep, so he could just as well do something productive with the time.
After a shower and shave he tried to eat something. He looked at his watch. 2:17. He got the letters and left for the office. Half an hour later he sat down at his desk.
Chapter End Notes:
It's been awhile since I put anything up, so here is a short little chapter. Thanks Kathy for the beta.