- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Another letter...
When Gibbs walked out of the elevator he had not expected to see Tony sitting at his desk working. "What the hell are you doing here, DiNozzo?" He mentally slapped himself, for being so harsh yet again.

"I'm working, boss." Tony replied stating the obvious.

"I can see that." Still too much anger in his voice. That's why the next thing he said was calmer. "Why are you here when I gave you the morning off?"

"Oh... I just... I guess I forgot. Besides it's not a big deal." Tony shrugged. "I could use the extra time on paperwork anyway."

"You could use that extra time to get some sleep." Concern started to leak into his speach. "You look like hell."

"Thanks, boss," Tony said sarcastically. "In my defence, I'm not the only one in early."

"That might be so, but unlike you I don't need the extra sleep."

"What? You fell a sleep early and didn't spend all night on that boat of yours?" Tony's tone was sharper then it usually got.

"Watch it, DiNozzo." It was a warning, but a small part of Gibbs wanted him to snap back. It still wasn't Tony, but at least he showed some emotions again.

"Sorry, boss." Tony dropped his eyes down to the work on his desk again.

Gibbs didn't know if he should be satisfied that he had backed down or disappointed. "I need coffee," he muttered under his breath and walked toward the brakeroom. He looked over at Tony one last time before he walked around the courner. Tony worked on like nothing had happend. Gibs had to find out what all this was about or else something drastic would happen to his team.

***

Kate and McGee had just arrived to the bullpen to start the day. When they walked out of the elevator they had expcted to see that Gibbs had already arrived, but they didn't expect to see Tony there. He had really been stepping up on his work lately. Normally he would do something ridiculous like teasing McGee, bothering Kate so she couldn't work or not doing anything at all.

At the moment he was talking to the mailboy as he was passing by delivering the mail. Kate's profiler side went into gear by the look on Tony's face. If he had looked sad and worried lately it was nothing compared to the face he got when he turn his attention to the envelope. He just looked at it for awhile before he got up and walked to the elevator with the envelope in his hand. If she just could get her hands on that envelope, maybe she could find out what was going on. But how?

***

Tony walked into Abby's lab, where the music was playing and the forensic was bouncing along with it. And he couldn't help but smile at the sight.

"Hey Tony, Join me."

"I don't think so, Abby," he said with a small laugh.

"Ah, come on. All work and no play. That's not the way to go." She wished she hadn't said that, because the response was that all the amusment in his eyes disapeared along with the smile.

"I..." Tony cleared his throat before he continued. He didn't like to do this to her, but he couldn't do everything alone and she was the only one that actually could help. "I need a favor."

"Sure. What can I do for you?"

"Just promise me that you won't tell Gibbs. Okay?"

"Sounds hinky, but I'm sure I can work something out."

"The no telling part includes Kate and McGee."

"Ah, fine... Just tell me what you want before I change my mind."

"I have a letter in this envelope that I would like you to check out. Prints, paper, stamp?"

"Yeah, yeah. I know my job, Tony."

"Thank you, Abby." In return she got a peck on the cheek, before he turn to go. He stoped in the door and turned. "I need that letter back as fast as you can, so will you give me a call when you're finished or have found something?"

"Of course."

"Keep it to yourself, will you?"

"I think we've covered that part."

"Thanks again."

"Yeah, yeah," she muttered to herself. She might hold the answer to the reason Tony had been so off lately, but she had made a promise not to tell. And she wouldn't betray his trust by telling. "Lets take a look then."

***

Working hours were almost over and Tony's eyes were stinging from lack of sleep. In fact he was having trouble keeping them open. He woke up a bit when his phone rang.

"DiNozzo."

"I'm sorry. The letter didn't give anything." Abby's voice told him that she really wished that she had given him something.

"That's all right. I didn't expect that it would, but thanks anyway."

"My pleasure. Any time."

"Thanks again." He hung up. All he wanted to do was pound his head in the desk. He was stuck. He could not find out what that number meant. ‘031278.' It made sence that it was a date, because it wasn't a case file. But he couldn't find anything about that date that had meaning. He stroked a hand through his hair in frustration. He looked up to see Kate standing infront of his desk.

"It's time to go home, DiNozzo."

"Right."

"Do you want a lift home?" Tony looked at her with curiosity. "It doesn't look like you will be able to get out of the parking space without falling a sleep."

"I'll be fine, Kate. You go on." Gibbs looked over at her. He wasn't going to leave until he as sure that Tony went home and Kate wasn't either. She walked back to her desk. Tony frowned at both of them. Almost everyone had left for the day, except the team. McGee still sat at his desk working at the computer. ‘Fine they win this one.' He packed up his things ad left the office.

In the elevator he pushed the button to Abby's lab. He wasn't leaving without that letter. The lab was empty, so Abby had gone home for the day. He found the letter in one of the drawers of her desk. He turned to walk out when his phone rang.

"DiNozzo."

"Hello, Anthony." The sound of his grandfather's voice made him instantly calm down.

"Hey, grandpa."

"How are you?"

"I got the new letter you sent. I still haven't found anything I'm afraid, but I'll keep going." He knew that that wasn't what his grandfather was refering too.

"I'm so sorry, Anthony. I never meant to put so much tension on you. You don't have to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders."

"It's nothing, grandpa. You're worried and I can help you."

"I know you can." It was pride in that sentence. "But I don't want you to drive yourself to the ground, because of me."

"I'm fine." He wasn't so sure that the old man believed him. He was good at reading people, even if it was over the phone.

"Do take care, Anthony."

"I will, grandpa. I'll call you later."

"Bye."

"Bye." Tony hung up. He had to find out of this soon. He sat down at Abby's desk to open the letter and read it. The threats were still there. Nothing different. Who ever sent these letters didn't give any clues except for that number. He read it over and over again to try and find a new clue. Slowly his eyelids dropped down. ‘Okay, I'm just gonna relax a couple of minuttes.' He barely had time to think it before he drifted off to sleep.

***

When Tony didn't return after half an hour, the others dared to finally go home. The three of them said their goodbyes before they walked to their cars.

Kate was just about to get in her car when she noticed that Tony's car was still in the parking lot.

"That son of a..." She turned on her heel and went back. She went back to the bullpen first, but it was still empty. She took a small round in the building, before she found him a sleep in Abby's lab. She was just about to talk to him when she noticed the letter.
Chapter End Notes:
I granted a little wish for Mel in this part (although she probably doesn’t remember it. ; )
Thanks to Kathy for the beta, and thanks for the feedback. I appriciate it...