- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate and Tony have a talk...
Kate walked silently into the lab. She knew that the letter must have been in the envelope she saw before. One side wanted to find out what that letter said and the other didn't want to brake Tony's trust. She might find out what was wrong and what it was that had upset her team mate. If she read the letter. But on the other hand, if he wanted her to know he would tell her. Or would he? She stood like this by Tony's side for several minutes debating with herself is she should read the letter. In the end the nosy side won, so she carefuly took the letter up without desturbing the sleeping man. She took a deep breath before she started to read it.

Hi again.

The years are slowly going. I really wish that it would speed up, but only to slow down again when I finally get to start my sweet revenge. I'm not getting any younger and how long it will take to torture you... Who knows? But I will make it last and not to mention painfull. I just have to find out the best way to end your life. I've had so many dreams and fantasies about this. But I think it is about time that I finally start with the next part.

I doubt that the first part of my plan has done much to you. I mean a couple of letters won't scare a son of bitch like you. You're too arrogant and stuck up for that. There is no need for you to stick around anymore.

I'll give you one chance before I'll end your life. Although, it's more than you gave me. I'll think about it, but I'm not making any promises. The only promise I'll give you is that you will suffer for what you did to me.

One way or the other.

From 031278

Kate froze in place. The only thing that seemed to be working was her profiling skill. There was so much hate in the letter. It started easily enough. Quite calm and together, but after the letter went on that disapeared and by the end the writer was probably ready to punch a hole through a wall at the very least.

When the shock started to go down her other abilities started to return. She suddenlygot very angry and before her reasonable side could take control, she had hit Tony hard in the arm. With the combination of the blow and the surprise of getting hit, Tony fell out of the chair and fell down on the floor. He got himself quickly up again hand on his gun ready for whatever had jumped him.

"Kate?" His head wasn't quite with him from the quick wake up call. At first he didn't know where he was and why on earth Kate would be there.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" She was so angry with him that she just wanted to throw another punch.

"Why are you yelling at me?" He had never seen her this angry before. He didn't want to do anything to upset her even more, so he kept himself calm.

"This is why." She held the letter up. The colour drained from Tony's face.

He snatched the letter out of her hand and started to walk away.

"Where do you think you're going?" She steped infront of him and blocked the exit. Kate had stoped yelling, but she was still angry.

"I'm going home." Tony on the other hand was starting to get anoyed.

"The hell you are. Not before you explain that."

"Language, Katie. A good little catholic girl shouldn't talk like that." The sarcasm and the anger in Tony's voice made Kate so mad, he was walking a fine line before she would knock him to the ground again.

"Explain." There was a warning in that one word. Tony dropped his glance and just looked at the floor, refusing to look at her. She took a deep breath and for the first time spoke with a calm, but concerned voice. "Tony, you should have told us about this."

The concern in her voice made Tony look up. He searched her eyes for an explanation. "Why?"

"This is serious, Tony. With threats like that..." She looked for a word that could help her out.

Tony just looked confused, until the truth hit him. "You think they are for me."

"They're not?"

"No, they're not." They had both calmed down and Tony even managed to give her a reasuring smile. "I'm just looking into it for someone else."

Kate didn't know what to say. She knew that he was telling her the truth. The smile and eyes told her that. She thought that she finally had found out what was causing this, but she understood that the letter was just a small part of it.

"He has gotten these letters for awhile and just wanted to see if I could find anything."

"What's going on with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't play with me, DiNozzo. You look terrible."

"Why, thank you. I usally look peachy at this time."

"Tony." The tone in her voice showed that she was just concerned and that she was not going to take the bait.

"I know, Kate." Tony pulled a hand through his hair. "I'm tired and I just want to go home." It was a plea for her to drop it.

"For now. We are gonna talk about this."

Tony rolled his eyes. "Yes, ma'am."

"Do not take that tone with me." That earned her another smile. "And I'm driving."

Tony straightened up. "What?"

"I'm not letting you drive anywhere. You'll fall a sleep before you'll be able to close the door." She pushed him toward the elevator. And before he could protest. "This is not up for discution."

"Fine, you win."

***

Tony had slept in the car all the way over to his apartment. "Come on, Tony. You're home." Kate pushed him lightly on the arm. He opened his eyes and looked at her. He did not look good.

"Thanks for the ride." He opened the door and steped out of the car.

"You're welcome. I'll pick you up tomorrow."

Tony froze in place. He slowly turned and locked his eyes on Kate's. "You're being way to nice to me."

Kate had to laugh of the suspicious sound in his voice, which only confused Tony more. "Well, you don't have your car. So why not."

"Okay." He still tried to understand what was going on, but he was just to tired. "If you're sure."

"Then that's settled. Good night."

"You too." Tony closed the car door and Kate drove away. He watched the car go around the corner before he went up to his apartment. He went straight to the bedroom, took his clothes off and got under the covers. He was a sleep before his head hit the pillow.

***

Kate walked up the stairs to Tony's apartment. She knocked on the door, but nothing happened. She knocked again and still no answer. She tried the door knob and the door swung open. She started to worry and walked inside with her gun in her hands.

"Tony." She still didn't get an answer. She looked around the apartment. She couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Just when she was about to call for him again, she heared Tony yell. She ran over to his bedroom and knocked the door open. The noice woke Tony up and he snapped up.

"Tony, are you all right?" She walked over to him. He sat upright in bed with his hands over his face. He was covered in sweat and was shaking. His breathing was shallow and irratic. "I'm gonna go call..."

"I'm fine." The interuption didn't stop her from taking the phone up from her pocket. "You are not fine."

"It was just a nightmare."

"Just a nightmare?"

"Yeah."

"Tony, please talk to me. This isn't the first one, is it?" By the way that he dropped his eyes, she knew she was right and that gave her curage to go forward. "This is breaking you apart. You can't bottle it up like this." When Tony still didn't respond she walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge. She put a hand on his shoulder. He was hot to the touch and sweaty. He tensed up, but didn't pull away.

They sat like that for awhile, when nothing happened she told him to go take a shower while she called Gibbs and tell him that they would be late. He started to get out of bed, but stopped and turned to look at her.

"What?"

"Could you please make the call outside of my bedroom?"

"Suddenly become shy have we?" She stood up and walked out before he could say anything in return. When she closed the door after herself and pulled out the phone. She dialed Gibbs' number.

"Gibbs."

"Gibbs. It's Kate." She looked around and listened to see if Tony was near by.

"Where are you?"

"I'm at Tony's."

"Why?"

"He didn't go home last night. He fell a sleep in Abby's lab. I saw his car and went looking for him."

"What?"

"I drove him home and was picking him up this morning. He must have been exhausted, cause he didn't wake up before I knocked down the door."

"That must have been popular."

"He looked terrible. He was shaking, Gibbs. It looked like he couldn't get out of bed without colapsing. We have to find out what is going on before he drives himself to the ground."

"And how do you plan to do that?"

"I'll see what I can do on th..." She stoped talking when she heard the bedrom door open. "Emm... We'll be in soon."
"Fine, we'lltalk later."

"Yes, Gi..." She looked at the phone with a frown.

"Hung up on you, did he?" She got a smug smile from him. Better then nothing.

"Like that is anything new." She took in the sight of him with a dark blue suit with a light blue shirt and matching tie. He looked more refreshed than he had done for days. "You're looking a lot better."

"Thanks, I think. Should we get going? Your carriage awaits us." He held out his hand to her. He got an elbow in his ribs instead.

"In your dreams, DiNozzo." She winced at the bad choise of words.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for the guidance, Kathy. And feedback is appreciated...