- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The two teams get together to see if they can find anything.
After Ducky told Tony and Gibbs about the second shooting, there was a deafening silence that followed. They were all deep in thought about the fellow agent they had just lost and a second one that was in surgery. It was Gibbs who finally broke the silence.

"What happened?"

"They found a female petty officer on the other side of the park from where Lieutenant Wilson's body was found. Agent Jamer's team got the case."

"How bad is he?" Tony cut in.

"I'm not quite sure, Anthony." Ducky met Tony's eyes with a sadness in his own that told Tony more than any words. Ducky was worried that he would get yet another body on his autopsy table. "The bullet caused him to lose a lot of blood and it might have caused some internal damage as well."

With a sigh Tony turned and headed for the door.

"Where are you going?" The sharp edge to Gibbs' voice made Tony stop.

"I'm gonna go in and see what I can do. If we team up and share what we have maybe we can see a connection somewhere."

Gibbs only nodded in response, before he started trying to get out of his bed again. Ducky laid a hand on his sholder and carefully pushed him back down in bed. "I'm afraid, Jethro, that you need to stay a while longer." Gibbs opened his mouth to argue, only to be stoped by Ducky. "No discusion. You will stay here until the doctor sees fit to let you go. Not a moment sooner."

Before Gibbs could protest again, Tony and Ducky had already left.

***

Back at NCIS headquarters Tony found Agents Manning and Stewart sitting at theirs desks attempting to write out their reports on what happened in the park. Tony often felt sorry of Stewart, going through life with the first name Martha.

He stood watching them for a few minutes thinking of some of the Martha Stewart remarks he had heard directed at her. *Martha what's the best way to remove a ketchup stain? Hey Stewart got any good cake recipes? My family love the pie I got from your website.

She's a good agent Tony thought, why can't people, her co-workers in particular ignore her name and let her do her job. I'll have to ask her what her middle name is. Maybe she could go by that instead.

"Manning. Stewart."

Both agents looked up when Tony called their name. "What do you want DiNozzo," asked Stewart.

Tony had decided on the way back to headquarters to be honest with Jamer's team. "Thought maybe we should share what we have and see if our cases are some how connected."

Special agent Fred Manning dropped his pen "Do you think they are?"

"We won't know until we go over everything that our teams have."

"Then lets get to work."

***

Kate and McGee had joined them an hour later and after another 5 hours with endless debate and searching for clues there still was nothing new that came to the agents.

The frustration the agents started to feel was getting to them, so Tony decided to suggest a lunch break. They were all happy to get a little breather and decided to start over again in 40 minutes.

McGee, Kate and Tony were headed for the elevator.

"This is going nowhere. We need to check over the evidence again or something." Kate was at a point were she just wanted to pull her hair in frustration. She was scared that more co-workers would be lost, and even more scared that that could be one of her own teammates or even herself.

"It would't hurt I guess if Abby looked over the evidence again." Tony had every belief in Abby's abilities and that she had done her job well. But even the best could miss something.

"I think Abby is looking over the evidence when ever she can." McGee looked Tony straight in the eye, before shifting quickly over to look in to Kate's. "After all. It was one of her co-workers as well."

The elevator slowed down as it reached gound level.

"Why don't you go get Abby and take her out to get something to eat." Tony steped out of the doors as they opened and turned, he held out one arm to keep the door from closing. "She needs a break just as much as we do."

"You're not joining us?" Kate looked curiously at Tony and McGee looked a little bewildered.

"I think I'm just gonna to get some coffee then get back here." Tony released the door and turned. "Not really hungry anyway." He said over his shoulders.

The last thing Tony heard was McGee stating that it just might be the end of the world when Tony didn't want food. He smirked to himself and walked to the nearest coffee shop.

There were a few people in the coffee shop, which was unusual. He was in and out within 5 minutes.

With his coffee in one hand and a chocolate chip muffin in the other, he started to walk down the street.

He just could't get this case out of his head. The problem being that they all were to close to the case. He hated to admit it, but they might need some outside help for this one.

It's not like the loss of an agent was anything new unfortually, but there wasn't usually a direct attack on a fellow worker or several in this case.

Every law enforcement officer was bound to get enemies, but that didn't make it any easier when the attack came. They were still casualties that were mourned and missed. It never got any easier. And that's the way it should be, how ever sad it might be.

Tony had been so lost in his own thoughts that when he came back to his senses he had ended up not to far away from the first crime site.

Even though he didn't really want to his legs started to walk off the sidewalk and in to the park.

He had liked taking a strole here every once in a while when he needed to get some air through a particular tough case. The park didn't hold the usual appeal that it once had, but he couldn't seem to stop.

He was just about to turn and go back when he noticed an officers hat in a bush. He drew out his gun and walked towards it. He carefully checked out the area. There was nothing out of the ordinary. That was the problem with being in a park. There was usually always someone around. Not so much at this particular time of day in this part of the park, but that was what made this case even harder. The park had to many people and things around, that's what was making it hard to id suspects and evidence.

He took one last look around before pulling out his cellphone. He never noticed the jogger slowly approching him from behind, he barely noticed the prick in his neck before everything turned black.
Chapter End Notes:
I don't know why, but this chapter was so hard for e o write. That's why it's been so long since the last time and I'm sorry for that.
Kathy (my beta) actually had to write some of it to get me going. So thank you very much! And a couple of friends had to push me... So thank you too.