- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony makes a judgement call which Gibbs doesn't like...
"Listen to me…" Gibbs tried to speak, but was cut of by Martinez.

"I said, SHUT UP!" his grip tightened a little bit and he was struggling to keep his body under control.
"Carlos…." Mrs. Martinez cried out, leaning on Tony. She looked like she was about to collapse, her knees shaking and Tony was the only thing holding her up.

"I'm so sorry, honey. Please, get her out of here!" Martinez cried out. He was loosing control over his voice.

"Ziva, McGee take Mrs. Martinez outside" Gibbs ordered.
Ziva looked at her boss for a second, wanting to stay, but she knew Gibbs had his reasons for choosing this way, and she slowly started to walk towards Tony and Mrs. Martinez. She put her arm around the pregnant woman, the other hand still pointing the gun at Martinez, and whispered, "Come on, let's go". McGee was more reluctant to leave, not wanting to leave his Boss and teammate alone. Without looking at him, Gibbs said, "McGee…go"
McGee glared at Gibbs then followed Ziva over to Tony and Mrs. Martinez.

Mrs. Martinez was hysterical. "Nooooo, please Carlos!" Her plead was barely a whisper. "Please don't do this….please"

"Please, she can't be here!" The tears were rolling down Martinez's face, "Just get her out of here… Please….Honey, I'm so sorry"

Ziva took her eyes of Martinez, put her gun away and pulled gently. Mrs. Martinez followed her somewhat unwillingly, but she finally gave up her struggle. She was overwhelmed by her emotions and her knees started to bend. Ziva pulled Mrs. Martinez's arm around her own shoulders and McGee put his arm around her waist. Together they almost carried the young woman out.

"Carlos…. Listen to me…" Gibbs tried once more to talk to the young recruit, but was cut of once more.

"STOP! Just stop talking! I can't think….I…" Martinez was aggravated, and closed his eyes for a second. Gibbs saw the opportunity to take a step forward. But Martinez opened his eyes just as the agent moved, and his temper flared. "Don't think I won't do it!" He stepped back further, "God! I can't think…. I want you out of here so I can think! GET OUT!"

Gibbs didn't answer, knowing that he would enrage Martinez further. Tony sensed to hesitation and seized the opportunity, and stepped to the side.
"Carlos, listen to me. You know we can't leave as long as Susan is still here" Tony swallowed but his throat was dry. "We have to keep her safe".

"I ca-can't…" Martinez stuttered, fighting an inner battle; the good side lost the battle, and his eyes turned to Tony, "Get out! Or I will blow her brains all over the floor".

Susan was shaking all over, and her eyes were closed. Gibbs studied her for at second and he noticed that her lips were moving slightly; she was praying.

Tony loosened his grip on his gun for a second and tightened it again, "Look Carlos, we don't what anybody to get hurt here. And neither do you. I know it. You're not that kind of guy".
Martinez's eyes flickered from Tony to Gibbs; the next battle had begun. The war was far from over.
Tony noticed the hesitation, and continued, "I know what it's like to do your best, and still it's never good enough for some people".
Gibbs tensed for a second. He hoped that Tony wasn't talking about him. He might not say it out loud, but he had the deepest respect for Tony's work…most of the time. Well maybe except for the occasional screw-up. But he would never be able to replace the former Baltimore cop on his team. Tony's ability to connect with people was special. Even now he seemed to be able to calm Martinez down. His thoughts were interrupted by Tony's voice
"There's only so much a man can take before he snaps… I know you didn't mean to kill Sergeant Keller" Tony felt like he was getting through to Martinez, but then the recruit changed again. Another battle was lost.

"I want you out of here!"

"You know we can't…. " Tony knew Gibbs was going to kill for saying this, "…but I'll make you a deal…"

Gibbs' eyes left Martinez for the first time since they came, and focused on Tony. What was he up to? What ever it was Gibbs had a feeling he wasn't going to like it.

"Let Susan and Gibbs go and I'll stay here with you. We can just talk. You and me. About anything you want"

"Tony…." Gibbs' focus was back on Martinez but his mind was on Tony. There was no way in hell he was going to leave him in here.

Martinez didn't answer right away, the war raging. Then he looked from Gibbs to Tony, "…okay… okay…." The first victory for the good side.

Tony was a little startled by the response, but quickly conjured a plan in his mind. But Carlos beat him to it, "Agent Gibbs has to leave first, after you give him your gun. Then I'll send Susan out… "

"I can't do that, Carlos" Gibbs said.

"It's this way or not at all! Or I will blow her away, you hear me?!!!!" Martinez screamed.

Tony lowered his gun, "Boss…it's okay… Just get Susan out of here"

"Tony…"

"Just go, I'll be fine… We'll be okay" Tony looked at Gibbs and handed him his gun.
Gibbs hesitated but finally he took the gun from Tony and looked at Martinez. Then he took one step back… and another… and he left the house with a terrible feeling in his gut.

------------

Ziva and McGee had already called for back-up and the local LEO's were pulling up. Mrs. Martinez was sitting in the back of the sedan. Her face was red and puffy from crying and tears were still running down her cheeks. McGee had put his jacket around her, but didn't get a response from her.

Both turned and were surprised to see Gibbs exiting the house alone. Without Tony and with two guns in his hands.

"What's going on, Gibbs? Where's Tony?" Ziva asked as the senior agent approached.
Gibbs didn't answer her, but turned around facing the house. He was praying that Martinez would uphold up his end of the deal, or Gibbs would have to answer to the director, how he could give Martinez one more hostage and have left Tony there, unarmed. He never should have. Gibbs had to fight with everything he had not to run into the house again. He had to trust Tony and believe that he could resolve the situation.

Luckily Martinez upheld his end of the deal and the door to the house opened a few minutes later. Susan came running out. She almost tripped but kept running across the lawn. Gibbs caught her right before she fell flat on her face in front of him. She was crying and shaking uncontrollably, and Gibbs pulled her in for a tight embrace, trying to calm her down.
"You're safe, it's okay… it's okay".
Susan wrapped her arms around the stranger and didn't let go for a long time. Finally she did and Gibbs asked her about the situation in the house. She told him that Tony walked behind the couch and when Martinez was sure that he wouldn't move, he let her go. A female officer came up to Gibbs and Susan and helped Susan across the street.
Gibbs took a deep breath. Now he would have to focus on getting Tony out; alive.

Ziva and McGee were standing a few steps from Gibbs and awaited his instructions.
"Okay, here's the situation. Tony is in there with Martinez. He's unarmed so we're gonna do everything we can to help him from out here. We need to get a SWAT-team here in case things goes wrong".
"On it" said McGee and ran for the sedan to get his things.
"Ziva, did you talk to the wife yet?"
"No, she is too unset to talk to anyone"
"Try again. We need to know everything about her husband"
"Eh, Gibbs, you know I'm not that good with women..." Gibbs gave her the stare, "but I'll see what I can do". Ziva turned and headed for the sedan.
Gibbs sighed and walked over to talk to the local LEO's.
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you like it:-) Sorry for any funny sentences or misspellings