- Text Size +
Tony woke up to silence, not unusual, since a quick glance at the clock beside their bed told hm that it was nearly two in the morning. He felt around on Kate's side; nothing.

"Kate?" When he got no response he was immediately worried. Where could she have gone at nearly two in the morning... on a Sunday? And her incidents with Ari did anything but help to stop him worrying either. Especially when the bastard was still out there.

Quietly he got up from bed and went to the dresser. He reached in and took out his service weapon; he was getting more nervous by the second. As he stepped out of the bedroom and into the hallway he noticed that the kitchen light was on. ‘Odd...' he thought. ‘I remember turning it off before coming to bed.' With that playing in his mind he cautiously turned the corner with his gun in front of him.

"Tony! Don't shoot!" Kate yelled as she saw a gun, followed by her husband come into full view. "Tony?" She looked him up and down. "What's with the gun?"

Then it was his turn to look her up and down. He almost smiled when he saw that she had put on his shirt after he fell asleep again. Almost. "I... I... I thought he took yo... you." He stuttered obviously still shaken as he put the safety back on then the gun on the table before pulling her close.

They stood like that for awhile in a comfortable silence before he pulled away to look at her while he asked what she was doing out of bed at this hour anyway.

"I was hungry." Kate said simply, pointing to the biscuits she had put on the counter. "I missed dinner remember? So I just came out to get something to eat."

When she saw that he was still shaken she took him by the hand and led them back to their bedroom. After storing the gun back to its right place she led him to their bed before slipping in on her side. She was surprised when he held onto her tight; tighter than he had ever done before.

Turning to face Tony, Kate looked him in the eye. "I'm still here with you, nothing's wrong, everything's fine and I love you... immensely."

Then for the first time since they were married she watched and waited for him to fall asleep. She leaned over, giving him a soft peck on his cheek before she settled down, and once again fell asleep in her husband's safe, loving embrace.