- Text Size +
"Are you feeling better?" Tony asked after he'd let her go. He was still concerned... and who could blame him? Kate was not just his wife but also his partner at work which meant that they were hardly, if ever separated. If there was something bothering her he would usually know the reason behind it. But nothing had gone wrong. They hadn't fought over anything recently, and there hadn't been a case which really bothered her in awhile.

"Yeah... I'm fine. I guess I just needed a good night's sleep." Kate was lying through her teeth and she knew that he'd pick up on it soon. They'd become so close that they could practically read the other's mind.

Tony rolled back over to his side of their bed when he saw the breakfast on his bedside table. ‘She must have been up longer than I thought if she made that this morning.' He thought to himself.

Without looking over at her husband and as if she'd heard his thought, Kate spoke up. "What day is it today?" She asked, trying to keep her voice as steady and casual as possible; as ‘normal' as possible.

"Sunday... why?" Tony answered slowly as he turned back and watched his wife get up and walk back over to his beside table.

"I know it's Sunday... any special occasion?" She continued setting up the breakfast-in-bed for him.

"Erm, Kate... honey? We're in the bedroom. I thought you didn't like having food in the bedroom." He said sitting up and still trying to figure out what the special occasion was. ‘Anniversary, no... its only been five months and two weeks; birthdays... no... I'd remember if it was my birthday and hers isn't till next month...' he let his thoughts run wild as he thought of different occasions.

"I don't... but I just thought that today should be an exception." Kate stalled some more. After all, she knew that there was no reason for him to remember exactly what today was.

"Oh." Her unusual behaviour was confusing him as he continued watching her setting up the breakfast around him. Him. It was only on his side. What exactly was this occasion? He'd run out of ideas.

As she finished setting up the breakfast, Kate looked up and locked eyes with her husband. His confusion shone through – just as she was almost completely certain that her nervousness was shining through her own eyes.

Almost as if he'd seen through her façade, her eyes letting out her secret; Tony took her hand and gently brought her closer to him. "What's really happening Kate? You're fighting to sound normal, you're setting up breakfast in bed for me – for no obvious reason, you're nervous... and you still haven't told me what was going through your head yesterday when you told me things were going to have to change. What's really going on? You gotta let me in baby, what's bothering you? Just tell me and I'll try make it all disappear."

Kate joined him in their bed once again, again reminded of the intensity of the love which they shared. She sat facing him, slowly leaning in and giving him another kiss, she kept it small, gentle; not wanting it to lead into something more. Just a small kiss between lovers.

She sat back up once more and looked into her husband's eyes, at the same time willing her voice not to crack.

Three simple words which could potentially change their worlds.

"Happy Fathers' Day."