- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs takes Tony to get checked out at the ER
Gibbs lightly cupped Tony's bruised face, unable to stop touching the younger man now that they were once more in close physical proximity. The temptation to hug him fiercely had nearly overwhelmed him earlier. He hadn't given in completely, but he knew he'd taken a few liberties in the level of concern appropriate for a supervisor to show a subordinate. He'd have to remember to thank McGee for running interference and keeping Ziva from seeing any more than she already had. She had probably seen too much as it was, but Gibbs couldn't bring himself to care.

It had been a very long weekend; nearly interminable, minutes and hours dragging by without Tony being where he belonged. It hadn't just been worry that had kept Gibbs up at night. He couldn't sleep without Tony there, without knowing he was safe. He missed the comfort of his steady heartbeat, the warmth, his scent, the feel of Tony's skin, the sense of peace the younger man generated that seemed to envelope the former Marine.

Gibbs wondered if Ziva even realized just how damn lucky she was getting the chance to spend a night with Tony. Probably not. She certainly didn't see Tony the same way Gibbs did, and he was damn glad of it. He was also damn glad Tony was professional enough not to lose sight of the objective. He trusted his lover to stay focused even when pretending to make love to Ziva.

Even though he trusted Tony, Gibbs had very nearly agreed when his lover asked if he wanted them back in the squad room after they'd missed their first shot at who had haired Jean-Paul and Sofia Renee. He had mixed emotions about Tony continuing to play Ziva's husband, but the case was too important not to see it through. The only saving grace was being in contact for most of the weekend. Gibbs could see and hear Tony if not actually touch him. It had almost been enough, until the last few minutes.

Gibbs grimaced thinking about everything that could have happened in those eternal moments when he had no idea where Tony and Ziva were. Finding out the couple they were portraying were the targets ranked as one of the worst in his life. God, but he'd been terrified he'd find them too late.

"Knew sending you in blind was a bad idea," he muttered to himself.

"Like there was a choice." Tony opened his eyes, giving Gibbs a vaguely disgruntled look. "It worked out all right."

Gibbs eyed his lover's face critically, inventorying the bruises, split lip and still bleeding nose. "You call this all right, DiNozzo?" The question held too much concern to have his usual sarcastic bite.

"We got the bad guys." Tony shrugged one shoulder, wincing. He shifted on the bed to a more comfortable position. "Was kind of nice to know no one at the ball was ever in danger though."

Gibbs nodded slowly. It was reassuring to know the dignitaries at the Marine Birthday Ball were never in danger, but finding out he'd made Tony a target hadn't been an acceptable alternative to Gibbs. He wished to hell his lover didn't always assume that the case came first. It didn't seem to matter how often he told him differently, Tony clearly didn't believe his own well being was a primary concern.

Tony's gaze narrowed, green eyes meeting blue. "We did get the bad guys, right?"

"Yeah." Gibbs nodded. "We got them."

"It's all good then."

Gibbs sighed. He'd have to find a way to convince Tony he was more important than anything else. Eventually he'd succeed. Diligence paid off.

Tony grunted, moving to sit up. Gibbs put a hand on his shoulder and held him in place. "Wait for the paramedics."

Tony rolled his eyes. "I don't need them."

"Think we already covered this." It was reassuring to have Tony fight him on getting check out. It was his lover's normal reaction.

Tony sighed. "I'm fine."

"When they say so," Gibbs countered firmly.

He glanced to the floor where the perp Tony had beaten unconscious still lay, securely cuffed. The man moaned softly, but didn't seem to be coming around. Gibbs wondered if he should be worried the man was still out. He figured the paramedics would deal with that when they arrived. The man wasn't dead, that was good enough for Gibbs.

He instinctively reached for his gun when there was a soft knock on the door. Fornell pushed it open and looked in. He nodded once to Gibbs before his gaze drifted to Tony.

"Paramedics are here," Fornell said quietly, once more making eye contact with Gibbs.

Gibbs knew Fornell genuinely liked Tony. The FBI agent shared Gibbs' fondness for people with enough strength in their convictions to challenge him when the need arose and sufficient intelligence to know when to shut up and follow orders. He shared Gibbs appreciation for people who had the knack for immersing themselves in the job without losing themselves to it completely. The FBI agent respected Tony's ability and dedication, and Gibbs knew Fornell envied his having Tony on his team. He'd commented more than once that Gibbs was damn lucky the Bureau hadn't found Tony first.

Fornell held the door open for the paramedics. Gibbs eyed them, instinctively trying to gauge their ability by their appearance. Looking competent didn't necessarily mean they were, but it certainly didn't hurt.

Gibbs pointed the man on the floor between the beds. "That one has been unconscious for about fifteen minutes."

The blond medic nodded once, moving to check the perp. His partner, a petite African-American woman, gave Gibbs a wary glance. He didn't know if she was assuming he'd beaten the other man and he didn't really care. For what the guy had done and could have done to Tony, he was damn lucky to be alive.

"This is Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo." Gibbs gave her a hard look, mutely ordering her to provide him with the best possible care or deal with the consequences.

Her gaze flickered toward her partner. "You okay on your own over there, Jason?"

Jason's attention was focused on his patient; he responded without looking up. "His breathing is fine. Heart rate solid." Jason gave Gibbs a cursory look. "Can I get someone to uncuff him?"

"No." Both Gibbs and Fornell answered. Jason glanced from one to the other. He pursed his lips in annoyance, but didn't argue. "Okay, I'll work around them then." He gave his partner a reassuring smile. "Go ahead and check on Agent DiNozzo, Liz. I'm fine here."

Liz nodded and moved toward Tony, setting her kit on the floor beside the bed. She gave him a genial smile. "Hello, Agent DiNozzo."

Tony returned the smile with a friendly one of his own. "Call me, Tony."

Gibbs stifled the urge to smack his lover. He knew Tony was not intentionally flirting with her. It was just Tony's usual warm and disarming way of approaching people. It was one of the things that made it so easy for them to like Tony.

Gibbs reluctantly moved off the bed to give Liz more room to work, watching her like a hawk. The slow and uneven reaction of Tony's pupils to her pen light just confirmed what Gibbs already knew. Tony had a concussion.

"Any dizziness?"

"A little." Tony admitted, waving a hand in a dismissive motion. Gibbs jaw tightened. Tony had nearly fallen earlier. That was more than a 'little' dizzy.

"Blurred vision?" Liz asked as she delicately checked the bruises on his face.

"No." Tony winced at her touch but didn't pull away.

"Nausea?"

"Not really."

"Yes or no, DiNozzo," Gibbs directed. He wasn't letting the younger man get away with any more half-truth answers.

"Yes," Tony rolled his eyes, "I was a little nauseous before, but I'm okay now."

"Did you lose consciousness at any time?"

"No." Tony sighed and moved to sit up. Gibbs bit back the urge to move, uncertain if he wanted to help or hinder the process. He was at Tony's side the second his lover swayed, offering support and helping him stay upright.

Liz frowned. "I think a trip to the ER is in order. Just to be on the safe side."

Tony started to shake his head and then stopped abruptly, one hand rising to rub at his temple. "That's not necessary?"

"I'll take him." Gibbs cut him off, not giving Tony the chance to argue.

"What about?" Tony pointed to the perp still being examined.

"I'll take care of getting him booked and processed once he's cleared medically," Fornell interjected. He smiled tightly. "Joint operation and all. It's the least I can do."

Gibbs knew if Fornell booked the guy then the FBI would get credit for the bust, but he didn't give a damn. They probably had plans to book the others if they hadn't already. The targets hadn't really been anyone in NCIS jurisdiction anyway, and Gibbs had more important things to focus on. He simply nodded to Fornell, accepting his offer.

Gibbs helped Tony stand, pleased the younger man didn't look so much like he was going to collapse this time. He wrapped one arm around Tony's waist. He noticed the infinitesimal flinch and made a note to make sure the ER checked Tony's abdomen and ribs.

The elevator ride to the lobby was made in silence. Tony rested more of his weight against Gibbs when they exited. The slightly greenish cast to Tony's features worried the former Marine. He knew the look.

"Don't puke on my shoes."

"Wouldn't dream of it, Boss." Tony offered him a smile. It was a pale shadow of the bright one he usually gave Gibbs.

Tony swallowed hard a few times, and managed not to actually throw up as they made their way outside. He leaned against the car, taking several slow, deep breaths before moving to sit in the passenger seat. Tony raised hand and wiped under his nose, cursing softly when he noticed fresh blood.

"God, I wish it would stop that."

Gibbs handed him several paper napkins from the stash he kept in the console. He reminded himself that bloody noses had a tendency to bleed like most head wounds. He wasn't going to panic over a little blood.

Gibbs drove to the hospital at a more sedate pace than usual. He definitely didn't want to make it any harder for Tony keep from losing his lunch in the car. And he certainly didn't want to cause his lover any more pain.

Tony never should have gotten hurt in the first place. Gibbs clenched his jaw. The fear and rage of losing Tony resurfaced with a vengeance. Even though he knew a room by room search wouldn't have found Tony and Ziva any faster, he still felt guilty over following Sheppard's lead. Waiting for Ziva to make contact might well have been the right choice, but he couldn't shake the lingering fear of what might have happened if she hadn't.

Tony reached over and captured Gibbs' right hand, neatly interrupting his thoughts. He entwined their fingers, squeezing once. "Not your fault."

"What?" Gibbs glanced over at Tony in surprise. That wasn't what he was expecting Tony to say.

"The way this operation worked out," Tony sighed, his head tilting back against the seat, eyes closed. "None of that is your fault."

Gibbs grunted. He'd ordered Tony and Ziva into harms way, sent them in blind. There was no way it could any of this couldn't be his responsibility, no way he wasn't to blame.

Tony squeezed his hand, turning his head to look at Gibbs. "Repeat after me...I am not omniscient."

Gibbs glared at him. "I don't think I am."

"Then it won't hurt to say it." Tony laughed softly, green eyes sparkling before he sobered. "I knew what I was getting myself in for when I signed on the dotted line, Boss. I'm a big boy. I know the risks."

Gibbs swallowed hard and looked away, eyes once more focused on the road. Shannon and Kelly had known the risks too, albeit not the same way Tony did. They had understood what he did for a living was hazardous, but they were never supposed to be touched by it. They were never supposed to understand first hand the concept of collateral damage, much less be classified as such.

"I was in charge," Gibbs ground out.

"No, the director was in charge."

Gibbs snorted. "Splitting hairs."

"Mine to split." Tony shrugged one shoulder. "Besides I trust you to keep me safe whether you're officially in charge or not."

"Maybe you shouldn't." Gibbs stopped the car at the red light, and turned to look directly at Tony.

Tony blinked in surprise. "Haven't let me down, yet."

"Yet," Gibbs repeated, adding emphasis to the word. "I'm not omnipotent either, Tony."

"Close enough." Tony grinned. He raised their joined hands, kissing the back of Gibbs knuckles. "After four years, I'm willing to take my chances."

He'd been married to Shannon for longer than that. Kelly had been almost eight when she'd been taken from them and everything fell apart. It was on the tip of his tongue to say it aloud, to tell Tony his trust might be misplaced, but he fought it back, keeping it inside. Instead, he made a silent promise to do better this time. This time he'd be worthy of that trust, come hell or high water.

Gibbs told himself things were different. Tony wasn't like Shannon or Kelly. He was a trained agent, capable, smart and well informed. He'd handled everything the job had thrown at him, including nearly dieing and losing a partner. Gibbs trusted Tony to watch his six like he'd never trusted anyone else before. He shook his head, belatedly realizing he shouldn't be too surprised that the trust went both ways.

"There ought to be a light bulb over your head." Tony smirked.

"Shut up." Gibbs was unable to stifle his grin.

"Light's green." Tony pointed out with a smile, once more closing his eyes and resting his head against the seat. He didn't relinquish his hold on Gibbs hand.

Gibbs was glad the ER wasn't busy. He hated to wait. And he was in no mood to see Tony take a back seat to anyone not in critical condition.

Tony seemed resigned, his expression closing off to something carefully neutral. He wasn't upset or nervous, but he certainly wasn't comfortable or happy to be there. Gibbs followed him into the exam area when Tony's name was called, coolly ignoring the doctor's protests. The guy could tell it to the wall for all Gibbs cared. He wasn't letting Tony out of his sight.

"Might as well give it up now, Doctor." Tony took a seat on the table.

"This is highly irregular." The doctor frowned, bushy gray eyebrows pulling down as he glared at Gibbs again. "Exams are private."

Tony shrugged, his expression conveying a subtle amusement. "Think of it as saving time."

"Saving time?" The doctor reached for one of Tony's wrists, taking his pulse.

"You won't have to repeat everything to him later." Tony nodded to where Gibbs stood.

Gibbs had folded his arms and leaned against the wall, watching everything with an eagle-eyed gaze. He smirked coldly when the doctor looked at him again. The doctor just sighed and shook his head, resigned to accepting Gibbs' presence and clearly not happy about it.

The doctor's exam wasn't much different from what Liz had done in the hotel room with the exception of his recommending a head CT. Gibbs neatly overruled Tony's protests that it wasn't necessary. He reassured himself the CT was only a precaution, something the doctor ordered only after he heard the story of how Tony had come to be injured in the first place.

Gibbs made sure to tell him Tony had taken a few hits to the ribs and abdomen. Tony gave him a dark look but didn't argue. He shrugged carefully out of his sweater. Gibbs stifled a wince when he saw the bruises that had already formed. It was no wonder Tony had flinched earlier. Gibbs regretted not getting a few kicks of his own in to the miserable prick who had hit Tony.

"Bruised, but nothing broken," Tony declared calmly, green eyes meeting Gibbs' blue easily.

It bothered Gibbs that his lover would be able to tell the difference with so much confidence. He nodded once, accepting Tony's assertion. But he made sure the doctor seconded Tony's opinion, just in case.

The head CT came back normal. Gibbs ignored the smug 'I told you so' look Tony gave him. He resisted the urge to smack the back of the younger man's head. No reason to give the doctor any more cause to keep shooting him dark looks.

Gibbs snatched up the prescription for painkillers the doctor offered Tony. He knew full well what would happen to that little slip of paper if Tony got it. It would be conveniently lost or misplaced, and Gibbs wasn't about to let that happen. Tony glared at him but didn't protest.

Tony neatly recited to the doctor the standard techniques for monitoring a concussion victim. Tony shrugged off the man's surprised look as he pulled his sweater back on. "Not my first one, Doc."

The man grunted, expressing his displeasure and concern in equal measure. "Perhaps you should consider a less hazardous profession."

Tony arched an eyebrow. "My first concussion wasn't job related, so I'm thinking what I do for a living really doesn't matter all that much."

Gibbs resisted the desire to ask how Tony had come by his first concussion and when. Fortunately the doctor had didn't feel the same need to hesitate, looking askance at Tony.

"Fell out of a top bunk when I was six." Tony shrugged, eyes suddenly focused on a spot on the far wall. "Never was very graceful as a child."

The muscles along Gibbs' jaw flexed as he clenched his teeth. He didn't know if Tony was telling the truth about how he'd gotten the concussion, but the bit about being ungraceful was probably a lie. Tony might have been awkward or clumsy at points in his life, but no one was so much of a klutz they amassed as many injuries in their youth like Tony had without some help.

Tony thanked the doctor. He somehow managed to make it sound as though he was apologizing to the man for wasting his time. The doctor shook his head, clearly bemused by the whole situation.

"You ready, Boss?"

"Yeah." He helped Tony into his coat. Once in the car, Gibbs fixed him with a stern look. "You'll be at the office just long enough to let Abby know you are okay. And then you are going home."

Gibbs could see the protest forming when Tony opened his mouth. He placed a finger against his lover's lips and shook his head. "Not one minute more. We clear?"

Tony pursed his lips to kiss Gibbs' finger before pulling back. "Crystal."

"Good." Gibbs nodded, starting the car. He felt some of the lingering tension ease when Tony once more captured his hand. He squeezed lightly once.

"Love you, Jethro," Tony murmured softly.

"Love you, too," Gibbs raised their joined hands to place a soft kiss on Tony's knuckles.
Chapter End Notes:
This is the first chapter of a longer story.