- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
One happy family? Not with Gibbs
Gibbs pulled Zoe into his house. A nurse had told him that Tony was in an emergency surgery and that it would take at least a few hourse. McGee and Abby stayed and promissed that they would call if there is something new.
At the moment he didn't want Zoe there. He wanted her to sleep a bit, or at least rest. She surely hadn't slept enough the last few days. First on the undercover case and then over this, he knew his daughter well enough.
He had settled her on the couch. He was not sure that all information he had given to her had reached her but they weren't any good anyway.
"He'll be alright, Zoe. I'm sure about that! He is a though guy!"
Zoe just sat absent on the couch.
"He can't leave me! Not now!"
"It's gonna be alright!"
"No, it's not! I'm not ready!"
Gibbs was pretty sure that she didn't meant Tony's possible death.
"You're not ready for what?"
Zoe sobbed quitely.
"I'm not ready to...to raise a child on my own."
Gibbs couldn't believe what he just had heard.
"Actually I'm not ready for a child at all! But with a dead father?"
Gibbs took a deep breath.
As if she hadn't enough problems at the moment, now she was pregnant, too.
In the last few years she hadn't showed the intention to marry. And about children she certainly didn't thought.
Different feeling were growing in him. Sure he hadn't thought of Zoe as a nun but now it was certain, no way to deny it. He felt anger for the man who brought it into this situation but suddenly remembered that Tony had no choice. He didn't choose to left her with a child, probably he didn't even know about it.
"I'll get you some water."
He certainly couldn't deal with that information right now. His best Field Agent was lying in a hospital, his nemesis was on a run and after his daughter. And now it was not only her life but the life of his unborn grandchild.
He just left the kitchen when the doorbell rang.
He looked through the little window in his door and saw his ex wife Shannon.
He opened.
"What are you doing here?"
Shannon's smile vanished.
"What do you mean? It's your weekend!"
His little daughter came running.
"Daddy!"
she jumped on his arms.
"Wow! Honey! You're getting to big for that!"
He hugged her, then let her down so she could get her stuff.
"I can't take her this weekend! I'm on a case."
"Jethro, how often have you told me that?"
"I'm sorry, but this time I really can't take Kelly!"
The little blond girl came back.
"Why don't you come in for a moment."
He gave Shannon a look to make her understand.
They entered the house and Zoe stood in the hallway, looking for the promised water.
"Big Z!"
Kelly hugged her big sister.
When she was just learning to speak Zoe had a lot of fun teaching her. Everytime neither her father or Shannon were in the room she teached her things like Big Z, Jay, and some other words. It took long to get her from Jay back to Daddy.
"She'll never stop to call you Big Z!"
"Well, she was to small to say Queen Z!"
Zoe smiled slightly. But Shannon knew her pretty well, too, and saw that it didn't reach her eyes.
"I guess you're here for a reason. At least it is a pretty special occasion when you visit your father."
"Shannon!" Gibbs said in a warning tone.
Shannon had always showed Zoe what she thought of her. She never shared Gibbs opinion that Zoe needs space and that she would find it in New York on the FBI training.
"Hey, Sweety, what do you think, shall we go in the living room and you tell me everything in your life!"
"No, Kelly, I think we better go now! You can stay here next weekend!"
"Shannon, let her a few minutes with her sister."
Gibbs look was not the usual.
Zoe waited, when nothing happened she let Kelly into the other room.

Kelly was beaming to meet her big sister. Kelly was the only one she had called regulary but haven't met her since chrismas which was about nine months ago. She was a little sunshine and always light up Zoe's mood only with the sound of her voice. When she talked about her school, her friends. When she is so excited to hear from Big Z that she talks that fast that Zoe doesn't understand a single word. She was that kind of child she never was.
Zoe instinctively touched her belly. Now she knew that that was what she wanted.
But in the same moment the picture of Tony in the park came to her mind. She started to cry again and buried her face in her hands.
"Zoe? Is everything ok?"
He little sister sat next to her on the couch and put an arm around her.
"There, there! Everything is gonna be alright!"
Zoe had to laugh at that. This girl was too sweet.
"I don't like it when you're sad!"
Kelly said. She had seen her that more often.
In the past she had had some bad fights with Shannon. Actually everytime she came home. When she was in the room with Shannon she didn't show it but it always ended the same way. She was sitting in her room, crying. Comforted by this little girl.
"Was Mummy mean to you?"
"It's not about your Mum, sweety, it's my boyfriend, he is not very well."
"He will be alright!"
"I hope so!"
Kelly had the same blue eyes of Gibbs.
She hugged her sister tightly.
Gibbs entered the room and Zoe wipped the tears away. She wouldn't show Shannon how weak she was.
"Abby called. The surgery is over. Kelly will drive home with Shannon."
Chapter End Notes:
In the beginning it's nice, but it's getting worse...
Thanks to Mel, and especially to eve who helped me through my bunny attacks!