- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Zoe learns some things about Tony
When Zoe opened her eyes Tony was gone for work. He had left a note on his pillow.

"Kids changed and fed. Didn't want to wake you. Be at home as soon as possible. Love you.
Tony"

She rested her head on his pillow breathing in his scent. She had changed from mothermilk to bottles a few days ago. The doctor had told her to. It was a good thing since Tony could feed them without waking her. She really needed the sleep.

There was a knock on the door.
"Yeah?"
She was used to take on cloths again before sleep by now.
"Hi, Zoe!"
Kelly looked into the room.
"Hey, Honey."
"Why are you in bed? You're sick?"
"Nah, I'm tired."
"Can I?"
"C'mon."
Kelly was very keen on physical contact the last time. Mostly it was Tony who hugged her. But sometimes Kelly wanted to Zoe. She was now more of a mother than a sister. Kelly crouled next to her in the bed and Zoe took her into her arms and closed her eyes again.
The school was off today, some kind of school internal day off.
Zoe was pretty content with everything. She hadn't talked about it with Tony, but they didn't seem to intent to have more children. At least the had actually three children. Kelly was nearly everyday there. Sure, Gibbs was her father and he had the last word but he gave Zoe aswell as Tony room to punish her or benefit her and Kelly respected the three of them equal.

Around 11 AM they drove to the supermarket. Zoe had invited them all for dinner and had planned a special meal.

At lunchtime Tony and McGee drove downtown.
"What do you want here?"
"Get a gift for Zoe!"
"In a hard ware shop?"
"Zoe is not really the jewelery type. I want to get her a new welding torch. Hers is broken."
"You don't think I can help you with that, do you?"
"Nah, we get something to eat afterwards. Needed someone to drive me here."
He was not allowed to drive yet because his right leg wasn't fully recovered yet.
"And I don't want to make Gibbs think I'm doing it for a reason."
"So you're doing it for a reason."
McGee knew Tony pretty good by now. He wasn't showing it directly but there was something he wanted to talk about.
"You know, I think Zoe could fear I'm interested in other women."
"You mean, in having an affaire?"
He sighed and nodded.
"You know, one of her friends told her she had dated me. She somehow freaked out over it. I guess she can't really believe I completely changed my life style over night."
"But you did?"
There was a bit worry in Tim's voice. He liked his friends being a couple, actually he only knew them that way. But they were that what he hoped to become with Abby some day.
"Not over night though. I had time to get used to a , relationship, and I learned. Never in my life I would ruin all I have for a night with some woman."
This comment comforted McGee. Tony looked at his partner for a moment. He had reacted exactly the way he thought he would.
He on the other hand wasn't comforted. He didn't think that Zoe would have an affaire. No, he didn't want to think that, but actually he feared it. Former, the fact that their lifes were so much alike make him comfortable since it made them equal. Now it made him fear that she hadn't changed completely deep inside.
"She wouldn't do it either."
Tim's agreement came as if was reading his mind. He smiled shortly.
"I think this would close the deal."
He took a very good welding torch.
"You don't think that's a bit expensive?"
"Don't worry about it, probie."
The use of his nickname made Tim sure everything was fine.
Tony handed a golden credit card to the cashier.
"Where did you get that? Certainly not from your salary."
"I've got a rich family, probie."
He took the back and left the store.
"I thought your parents won't give you any money."
"They don't. Oh, did I tell you? They wanted to disinherit me the last time I saw them. But I had a aunt and two uncles who really loved me!"
"They inherit you?"
"Yup."
"You won't tell me how much, will you?"
Tony stopped and faced him before he answered in a calm voice.
"About 25 Million Dollars in money and about five millions in probaty."
McGee's mouth fell open.
Tony started towards the car.
"Will you come on?"

5PM

Tony got home early. There was no case so Gibbs saw no reason to keep him any longer from his family.
"Hey Baby."
He said kissing his fiancée.
He pecked Kelly on the cheek.
"Had a good day?"
Zoe asked.
"Mhm, brought you something."
She looked curiously at him when he place the bag on the table.
"Thought you could use it."
"Occasion?"
She asked a bit suspicious.
"None."
"Bad conscience?"
"Just open it."
"You know, Tony. You don't have to buy me something everytime I'm a bit freaked out. Especially if it's not your fault."
"Zoe!"
"Ok,...Oh, wow, Tony! That surely is one of the best welding torches! Tony that's too much!"
"You said yours is broken."
"I don't want you to spent your money for..."
"It's our money. Oh by the way, we have an appointment at my lawyer tomorror morning!"
"Why?"
"My last will."
She looked surprised at him.
"Honey, go down, shower yourself and get dressed for the dinner."
"Ok, Zoe."
She waited until the apartment door closed.
"You wanna change your will?"
"Sure I wanna! You're gonna be my wife! I have to look after you and the kids if something... well I have to calculate all that."
She hated the fact that he financial was giving so much into this relationship. She had less savings, even to not millionaires.
"Oh, and here is your new credit card."
He said after opening the letters.
"You got me a credit card? Tony, why...a golden one? No, Tony, I don't wanna..."
"Just take this damned credit card. Hell, Zoe, why are you making a fuss about this?"
"Because it's your money. And don't say it's our money. God. I hate this!"
She sat down. Now it was out. He just cover her with all his money within ten minutes.
"Listen, I know you want to earn your own money. You're like me. But think about it. Even if I don't own all those money of my uncles and aunt it would still be the way that I go to work and you raise the kids, because that's the way you wanted it. But since I own this money take this card and feel free to use it."
She looked weakly at him.
"You know why I give it to you?"
She shook her head.
"Because I know that you don't buy more than necessary. But, I want that you know that can buy yourself things with it. You won't start buying things we don't need or cloths you won't wear, that wouldn't be you."
He kissed her softly.
"Can we close this issue now?"
"I want a contract."
"What?"
"A contract."
He looked confused at her.
"You know, normally I should be the one who insists in a contract."
"So, what's the problem then?"
"The problem? Not only that you even consider the possibility that this is not working out you also try to save you from getting the half of everything?"
"Well, I have to calculate all that."
Tony shook his head and left the room for a shower.
He had to clear his mind. He never had thought that anything else than death would break them apart. But obviously Zoe was thinking different. When he got into the bedroom Zoe got in, too.
"We're not finished."
"You think?"
He said angrily.
"Tony we really have to consider it. Not only about the money, but about the kids. What if we break up and don't talk or anything? You really want a fight at the jugde? What if..."
"NO IF! There are no ifs, you understand me? We won't break up! That will never happen! And if we break up, I'll make it easy! I'll kill myself, because without you and the kids right here, there is no reason for me to live!!"
They glared at eachother before he collapsed on the bed. His eyes filled with tears. His first fight with Zoe and it is about NOT breaking up.
She sat next to him and took his hand and rested her head on his shoulder.
"I'm sorry, micio! I didn't mean to! I really want that this works out."
"Then why do we have to fight about it? Why do we always have this discussion about money?"
"It's just the way I am. Think about it Tony. It's wierd for me, too. You know, when I was pregnant I thought about how I'm gonna make it with two kids. How we would make it with one salary. I made this deal with Dad about the house. And then you got home and I learned that you are a multi millionaire. It was, strange. It was not the Tony I fell in love with."
"I never changed only because I got money. I always was like that, since you know me!"
"Yeah, but suddenly all the label cloths were explained. And I felt, well, I didn't felt equal anymore."
"You are equal."
"Not in money. You give so much into this. But I..."
"Zoe, you didn't hook up with me because of that. I would never use it against you!"
"I know you wouldn't!"
"So, what is this all about?"
She started to laugh.
"What?"
She kept laughing unable to speak.
"Hell, Zoe, are you on drugs?"
"I don't know what this is all about!"
She relaxed and stopped laughing.
"I guess I'm looking for something what makes this less perfect."
Now he had to laugh a little too.
"Well, you can keep looking forever, gatta! You won't find something!"
He kissed her softly.

Two hours later Zoe was standing in the kitchen again.
The meal really needed attention.
She was humming quietly.
"Good mood?"
Tony smirked carrying Jay. He bend his knees so he could kiss his girl without waking his son.
"You're fine?"
"Yeah, Tony, I really am!"
She answered smiling.
"Tug him in."
She gave him a smack on the ass.
"And then get that beautiful ass back here."
She returned to the meal.
Then she felt the familiar tickle of Tony's tongue on her neck and his hands on her hips.
"Baby, there is a meal I need to finish."
"Oh, can't start this and than just...well, cook! You look too hot when you cook!"
She turned around and pecked him on the lips.
"Ok. I'll remember the next time."
She held a spoon out for him.
"Try."
He kissed her long.
"Delicious."
She smiled.
"Good, now try the sauce!"
He rolled his eyes and tried it.
"Yeah, good, but not as..."
He took the spoon and pulled her close again.
"Does everything lead up to sex with you two?"
Abby and McGee were standing in the doorway.
"No, not changing the diapers."
Zoe answered quickly.
"That would be too wierd."
Abby handed Tony a bottle of whine and the four friends sat down on the huge table in the living room.
Short time after they were joined by Gibbs, Kelly, Ducky and Jimmy.
It was a nice dinner and Zoe had nearly forgot the fight they had earlier.
She got up to answer the phone.
When she got back she somehow seemed pissed.
When everybody was in their own conversation Tony asked her.
"What's wrong?"
He put his hand on her leg but she pushed it away.
"Don't!"
She said in a warning tone.
He tried to get it out of her for more than ten minutes before she started to talk in fast italian. Everybody turned to look at her.
Gibbs knew she can talk Italian. He guessed she had learned it from her mother, since she was Italian origins, and he once heard her through the roof. On the one hand he wasn't pleased to hear her at all, but at least he didn't understand it.
"What, what did I do?"
Tony answered to what she said.
There was no need for the others to understand to know that this weren't words of love.
Tony still answered in English.
"You don't believe her, do you?...Why should I do that?"
He looked around the table then started to talk in Italian, too. But he used a very calm tone.

Translation.
"I have not slept with her!"
"Why should she lie to me, Tony?"
"I don't know! But I can assure you, I haven't slept with her!"
Zoe shook her head and got out of the room.
Followed by confused gazes of all others.
"Excuse me."
Tony got up and followed her into the bedroom.
"Zoe, could you please tell me what she said?"
He tried it in English again. But still recieved only Italian.
It was Zoe's prefered language for sex and fights. He sometimes felt lucky because he didn't think she only used it with him.
When she was really pissed off she sometimes wasn't even able to form English sentences.
"She told me you had called her. That you wanted to talk with her about two years ago."
"I haven't called her! I don't even know her last name!"
"She said you've met in a motel and..."
"Zoe, listen to me I haven't slept with this woman! I swear!"
Zoe flinched away from his touch.
She walked into the bathroom and locked it.
"Zoe! Zoe, open this damned door! HELL! Zoe! Talk to me!"
"I think we better go now."
Abby stood in the door.
Tony looked at her like a dear cought in flashlight but nodded.
No matter how much they got from their fight, his team would be sure it was his fault.
He waited until the door closed then knocked again. And talked calm again.
"Zoe? Baby? Please, come out of the bathroom.Tesoro mio, please talk to me!"
"Go away."
He could tell she was crying. He hated to see, or hear, her hurt.
"Honey, I don't know what this woman is talking about. I really haven't slept with her nor I have met her! Baby, never I would betray you!"
He heard the lock of the door before it opened and Zoe's red swollen face looked up at him.
He tried to touch her again but she pulled away.
"Honey..."
He didn't know what to say.
"You really believe her more than me?"
She looked sad at him. He had expected that she shakes her head or that she assures him that she fully trusts him. But the fact that she considered the answer shocked him.
"Zoe?"
She was searching for the right words.
"You know, I already feared you would get bored."
"I'm not bored."
"I mean I can't give you everything you got from..."
"You give me everything what I need and want!"
She wipped the tears away.
"I would never have thought you would believe her that!"
She looked up at him again. Then she walked over to the small table and threw the welding torch onto the bed.
He looked at it then at her.
"Bad conscience?"
She asked.
"That's great! I buy you a gift and you turn it against me! No, Zoe, I don't have a bad conscience."
She didn't answer to it.
"What reason do you have to believe her, besides the present I bought you? Did I come home late? Didn't I sleep with you? Did I smell after perfume or had I lipstick somewhere?"
Zoe looked uncomfortable. She really had no reason to believe Isabel.
"Can we forget it?"
Tony tried to meet her eyes.
"I think I need some space tonight."
"Space?"
This wasn't going well.
She turned and got his pyjamas and held them out for him.
"What are you doing? What does that mean?"
She nodded towards the door.
"You want me to sleep in the guest room?"
She was not meeting his eyes.
He took his pyjama and left the room.

He was turning from one side to the other.
"She'll come! Sooner or later she'll come."
He told himself.
"She can't sleep without me by her side! She was up until one AM the other night because I wasn't there. She will come! She will snuggle up to me!"
He looked at the alarm clock. Nearly midnight. He was lying here for more than three hours.
He heard Jay crying and got up.
He carried him out of the twins' room and lay down with him on his chest in the guest room.
Zoe was awake too and looked trough the door without Tony noticing her.
He spoke quietly in Italian. They had agreed on raise them with both languages.
"You know, your Mummy is angry with me. It's never too early to learn, son! Women are crazy! Everything you say is wrong."
He laughed a little.
"But she is great. She never turns my words until I said something completely different. But you know there was this woman who told her I'm not loving her the way I do. You know that's a lie, don't you?"
Jay clutched the hair on his bare chest.
Zoe nearly started to cry. This wasn't a man who betray his wife.
"Could you tell her that? Would you?"
"No need."
She said entering the door.
Tony carefully sat up.
"Get him into his bed and then come back to ours."

Tony entered the master bedroom.
Still in Italian he asked,
"So? Is the verdict acquittal?"
"Probation."
"I can live with that."
He lay down but didn't try to touch her. He wouldn't test this.
There was no need for it anyway since she crowled up to him and rested her head on his shoulder her hand on his chest.
"Could we agree on something?"
He asked carefully while stroking the back of her hand and her forearm.
"What?"
"If you have a problem with me. Anything. Talk with me and do not yell at me in Italian in front of the team or the kids. Kay?"
Zoe kissed his shoulder in agreement.
"Sorry."
"Nothing to be sorry about."
He kissed her forehead.
"You know, I had the same fear about you. That's why I bought you the gift."
She looked at him her chin pointing into his shoulder.
"You don't have to buy my love, Honey."
‚Nicknames are good!' Tony thought before kissing her softly.
"What convinced you to let me back in here?"
"Jay."
She answered and kissed him back.
They settled for sleep.
"Tough day!"
Zoe mumbled.
"Never let anybody destroy this!"
Tony said before fading away.
Chapter End Notes:
Please read "my place in life" before. When I finished it I felt this gap and just had to fill it...Thanks to Eve and Mel!