- Text Size +
Title: Misconceptions - 14/?
Author: Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindreadh@eircom.net
Website: n/a
Permission to archive: Yes to WWOMB, anybody else, please ask first.
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre (general, hetero or slash) : Slash, M-PREG, Angst/hurt-comfort
Pairing/Characters: Gibbs/DiNozzo, McGee/Jimmy
Rating: T
Warnings: THIS IS AN M-PREG FIC. If you don't like M-Preg then don't read it. If you read it anyway, then don't go complaining to me that you don't like it *because* it's M-Preg
Later chapters *will* feature minor character death, just so you know.
Disclaimer. I don't own the NCIS characters, I'm only borrowing them, and I promise to return them in minty fresh condition when I'm finished.
Notes: Thanks to FatCat for her Beta'ing
I was going to go into this whole pseudo-scientific explanation as to how M-Preg works in this universe, but then I thought, Feck it. It works, and that's it.

Previously on NCIS.
Tony was put on desk duty and Cassidy Yates was brought in as his replacement in the field.
Paula Cassidy returned and was assigned her own team.

>

-------------------------

[14]

Director Shepherd had to forcibly stop herself from pacing up and down in MTAC as she waited for updates. It took all her self-control to stay in one place as she watched the view screen.

Not that there was much to see apart from a dust covered mound of rubble that up until half an hour ago had been the entrance to a suspected terrorist cell. Touching her headset, Jenny made contact with Agent Penrose who was in charge of the mobile command center, which had been observing the operation. "How long before the area can be made safe?" she asked him.

"Director Shepherd, we're working as fast as we can, but it'll take time to make sure there's no more nasty surprises. And I won't let the rescue teams go in until I'm sure it's safe."

"Understood. Keep me posted," replied Jenny. She broke the connection and then heard the raised voices coming from the MTAC entrance.

Glancing over, she could see Tony DiNozzo arguing with the security guard.

"Dammit, I've got clearance, and he's with me," Tony was almost yelling.

Jenny approached the door just in time to hear his companion say, "Tony, it...it doesn't matter...just...just go and find out what's happening...*please*!"

"It's all right," said Jenny, recognizing Jimmy. "I'll vouch for Mr. Palmer, let him pass."

Tony glared at the guard as they passed by.

"Director Shepherd," he said, "What's happening? I saw the emergency notice...is...is Gibbs's team involved?"

"And Tim," blurted out Jimmy, "What's happened?"

Jenny could see how close to panic he was, and Tony, for all his efforts at self-control, wasn't doing much better. He had an arm around Palmer protectively, but his free hand was clenched in a fist.

"I know they were in the field," he said. "Were...were they involved?"

"Yes," said Jenny, carefully. "We had solid Intel regarding a terrorist cell operating out of Washington. Agent Cassidy's task force was charged with taking it out. Gibbs and his team were assisting. Midway through the assault...there was an explosion. At this point, we don't know whether it was a booby trap, or if the terrorists set it off to avoid being captured."

"I don't care *how* it happened," interrupted Tony. "I just...I just want to know if they're okay."

"We have no information yet regarding the agents on the ground," said Jenny. "The teams were inside the building when it blew...rescue services are on the scene, but it hasn't been made safe yet."

"Oh God," said Jimmy, slumping against Tony, his face pale.

"You shouldn't be here," said Jenny.

"He has every right to be here," snapped Tony, his voice shaking. "I...we...we both do..."

Jenny called for her assistant. "Have a car and driver made ready," she said, before turning her attention back to Tony and Jimmy.

"All personnel located on the scene will be medevaced to Bethesda as soon as possible. I don't think either of you should be driving, so I'll have you taken there immediately." She stepped forward and patted both men on the arms. "We'll find them for you...you have my word."

Nobody brought up the fact that she had omitted the word 'alive' from her promise.

Jenny waited until Tony and Jimmy had left MTAC before she made contact with the site again.
"Update, Agent Penrose."

"Ma'am, as far as we can tell, the site is clear. I'm sending in the medic's now." He cleared his throat before continuing. "I should warn you Director...it's not pretty...and there's likely to be fatalities."

-----------------------------

Tony and Abby and Jimmy sat in the corridor at Bethesda.

Director Shepherd had contacted Abby in her lab, and apprised her of the situation, informing her that she was sending Jimmy and Tony to Bethesda. She had suggested to Abby that given the pair's respective conditions, it might be advisable for them to have a friend there with them.

"It...it's that bad?" Abby had asked, her voice uncharacteristically shaky.

"It could be," admitted Jenny, "And in their conditions...a shock could easily bring on premature labor. At least if they're already *at* Bethesda..."

"Got it Ma'am," said Abby. "I...I'll look after them."

Sitting between the expectant pair, holding their hands in hers, Abby wondered who was going to look after *her*. Gibbs was like a father to her, and McGee...although their relationship had long since run its course, and Abby was truly happy that Tim had found somebody like Jimmy to share his life with, she still had a soft spot in her heart for him. And then there were the other agents, Ziva and Cassidy and Paula and all her team. Abby considered them her family and the thought of losing any of them was more than she could bear.

She could only imagine how Tony and Jimmy were feeling, knowing that their lovers...the father's of their respective children were in danger. It felt like they'd spent hours in this corridor, watching the doctors and nurses bustling around, making preparations to receive patients. But so far, nobody had been able to tell them anything other than they'd have to wait and see.

"We should have gone to the site," said Tony for what seemed like the hundredth time. "We could have been doing something...helping find them...anything would be better than just sitting around."

"Don't be silly, Tony," said Abby, squeezing his hand firmly. "You know you wouldn't be let anywhere near the site, even if you weren't so pregnant. They need to be sending in specialists, people who know how to stabilize the walls and everything. Otherwise they could make it even worse."

A sob escaped Jimmy's lips and Abby turned her attention to him, "They'll find McGee, and Gibbs...they'll find them all, I'm sure of it..." Abby refused to let herself thing of the possibility that *any* of the team wouldn't return. They couldn't lose a member of their family...not again...

The sound of footsteps made them look up expectantly, but to their great surprise, Ducky pushed his way through the door.

"Oh my God, Ducky!" said Abby, launching herself off the seat to hug him warmly. "I'm so glad to see you!"

A few seconds later, Tony joined in the hug. "Long time no see, Ducky," he said.

"Thank you," said Ducky, "I wish our meeting was under better circumstances." He looked over at Jimmy, "Jimmy, it's good to see you again my boy."

"No..." said Jimmy who had stood to greet Ducky. "Please...you shouldn't be here...they wouldn't have called you back unless they needed you...unless somebody was dead...I don't want you to be here and telling me that Tim is dead!" There was a note of hysteria in his voice as he backed against the wall.

Tony looked at Jimmy and then backed away from Ducky as well. "Is...is that true Ducky?" he asked. "Did...did you get called in to break the news to us? Did you?" he nearly shouted the last bit.

"Tony," said Ducky, his voice calm and reassuring as always. "And you too, Jimmy. Nobody called me in. I came back from my trip a little earlier than planned, and had merely phoned N.C.I.S. to apprise Jethro of my return. When I found out what had happened, naturally my first thought was to see if there was anything I could to. I promise you both that I have no knowledge one way or another regarding the condition or status of your partners and teammates. Now come...please, sit down." He held his hands out to Tony and Jimmy. "I would tell you both to relax, but I fear it would be a waste of breath. But I *will* insist that you both take the weight off your feet...please."

Tony and Jimmy reluctantly allowed themselves to be led back to their chairs.

"So why are you back so early, Duckman?" asked Abby. "I mean, not that I'm complaining about you showing up." She squeezed his arm gently, "But I thought you weren't going to be back for a month or so."

"That was my original intention, yes," said Ducky. "But I discovered that many of the places I was revisiting, were best remembered through a young man's eyes...and the life of leisure is not one that I'm completely suited for."

"So you'll be coming back to work at N.C.I.S.?" asked Jimmy, his face brightening.

"Perhaps in an advisory capacity," said Ducky, squeezing Jimmy's hand. "While I don't feel myself cut out for a life of total leisure, neither do I wish to tie myself down to a permanent job. No, I have some contacts in the academic field who have long been trying to persuade me to do some lecturing for them. Nothing extensive, just a few hours here and there...enough to stop me getting bored. And the rest of the time, well I have been considering writing my memoirs. After all, if a Geisha can do it..."

Ducky was about to continue when the doors burst open and a gurney was wheeled through.

"Ziva!" called Tony, recognizing the figure on the bed. He pushed his way through the medical personnel to reach her side. "Ziva, what happened? Where are the others?"

Ziva had an oxygen mask on her face and her right arm was heavily splinted. She was covered with dust, and there were bloodstains on her bulletproof vest.

"Sir," said the E.M.T., "You need to step back so we can treat her."

Ziva pulled the oxygen mask away with her uninjured hand. "Tony," she said, coughing. "Gibbs and McGee were...were ahead of us...first wave." She coughed again, "An explosion...Cassidy and I were trapped...they were ahead of us...further down...I'm sorry Tony, I don't know where..." A spasm of coughing hit her and she was too weak to protest as the medic replaced her mask.

Tony just stood there numbly as Ziva was wheeled away.

"DiNozzo!" Cassidy's voice made him turn around to where she was being pushed along in a wheelchair. A bandage was wrapped around her head and streaks of blood had left a path through the dust on the side of her face and down to her shoulder. She too had an oxygen mask on, but appeared to be in better condition than Ziva.

Abby reached her side first, "Cassidy, are you okay? Where's Gibbs and McGee? What happened?"

"Booby trap," said Cassidy. "Place went down like a house of cards. Ziva and I were lucky, we were in the last wave of the assault."

"And Gibbs and McGee?" This came from Ducky who had an arm round Jimmy as they approached the small group.

Cassidy dropped her gaze for a few seconds before looking up again, "They...they were in the first wave...a lot closer to the explosion. Rescue workers are still trying to locate them...but the longer it takes...the worse their chances..."

Jimmy's legs gave way. Ducky and Abby were barely able to catch him before he hit the ground.

------------------------------

Back at N.C.I.S., Director Shepherd took a call from Agent Penrose. "Report?" she said crisply.

"Ma'am...it's not good. We're nearly at the center of the site...and I have confirmation of fatalities..."

There was silence for a few seconds before Jenny asked, "Friendly or hostiles?"

"Both."

----------------------------

To be continued
Chapter End Notes:
I wrote a fic called Reality Check, which featured an M-Preg dream. Feedback was so positive that I decided to do the real thing.