- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It's Thanksgiving at Ducky's house and all the family are there.
Title: Misconceptions 25/?
Author: Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindreadh@eircom.net
Website: n/a
Permission to archive: Yes to WWOMB, anybody else, please ask first.
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre (general, hetero or slash) : Slash, M-PREG, Angst/hurt-comfort
Pairing/Characters: Gibbs/DiNozzo, McGee/Jimmy
Rating: T
Warnings: THIS IS AN M-PREG FIC. If you don't like M-Preg then don't read it. If you read it anyway, then don't go complaining to me that you don't like it *because* it's M-Preg
Disclaimer. I don't own the NCIS characters, I'm only borrowing them, and I promise to return them in minty fresh condition when I'm finished.
Notes: Thanks to FatCat for her Beta'ing
I was going to go into this whole pseudo-scientific explanation as to how M-Preg works in this universe, but then I thought, Feck it. It works, and that's it.

-----------

The 'others' consisted of the usual suspects, Abby, Ziva, Tony and Gibbs. Ducky had insisted on preparing most of the meal himself, only allowing the simplest of tasks such as potato peeling and the like to be handled by his house guests. And by the time the rest of the 'family' had arrived, the smells from the kitchen were making everybody's mouths water.

---------------------------------

[25]

Ducky's hours in the kitchen had paid off. The table was almost groaning under the weight of food he had prepared, but it didn't take long for he and his guests to make substantial inroads into the meal.

"Man, that was good," said Tony, as he leaned back in his chair. "Just as well I'd a few inches to spare in my pregnancy pants." He rested his hands on his belly contentedly. "Ducky, you are totally the man!"

"Why thank you, Anthony," said Ducky, wiping his mouth with his napkin. "It's been a pleasure to cook for such receptive guests."

"So," said Tony, "I believe I heard somebody mention the words dessert...and chocolate?" He looked around hopefully.

"I cannot believe that you have room for more food," said Ziva. "You've eaten twice as much as anybody else."

"Yeah, well I *am* eating for two," said Tony, pulling a face at her.

Ziva rolled her eyes, but before the banter could degenerate further, Ducky tapped on a glass to get everybody's attention.

"I feel I should say a few words," said Ducky, rising to his feet. "On this occasion, as everybody knows, it is an opportunity to reflect on the past years events...to give thanks for the good things...to make our peace with the bad things. It has indeed been a most eventful year...a most eventful couple of years I might say. The events that have happened in our past, have helped to shape our future, for better or for worse." He cleared his throat before continuing, "And I feel it only right and proper to raise a glass in acknowledgement of what we've been through. Everybody, please, charge your glasses..."

Ducky waited until all glasses had been topped up before he continued, "To family, that we will never forget." He took a sip from his glass, his words echoed by Gibbs and Ziva in particular. Tony squeezed Gibbs's hand.

"To new family that we hope to meet soon." Ducky smiled at Tony and Jimmy. "To friends both old and new...to those that gave their lives in the line of duty...to those that continue to work towards making this world a safer...and a happier place. My dear friends, I salute you all."

The next few minutes consisted of everybody clinking glasses and hugging and the semi somber mood was only broken by Tony's plaintive voice, "But where's my dessert!"

"DiNozzo!" grumbled Gibbs, good-naturedly as he ruffled Tony's hair.

The dessert was definitely worth waiting for though, Tony had to admit, as Ducky placed a large bowl of chocolate pudding in front of him. A quick look and Tony could see chocolate brownies, chocolate fudge, chocolate sauce, chocolate chips. His mouth was watering as he grabbed his spoon and loaded it as full as he could. The spoon was only inches from his lips when he grunted, his hand going protectively to his stomach.

"You okay there Tony?" asked Gibbs, a look of concern on his face.

"Yeah, must be a bit of gas or cramp or something. It's been bothering me for an hour or two." Tony tried to eat his dessert, but the look on Gibbs's face stopped him. "What?"

"You've been having cramps for a couple of hours...and you didn't say anything?"

Tony looked around, "Uh, what's the big deal? It's nothing...I probably just was eating too quickly or something." He grinned, "Blame Ducky for making such a delicious meal." He tried again to take a mouthful of the dessert but this time Gibbs took the spoon from his hand, dropping it back in the bowl and pushing both out of Tony's reach. "Hey!" said Tony indignantly.

"Tony," said Gibbs, "Have the cramps been getting worse or stayed the same?"

Tony frowned, "They're a little bit stronger than they were to start with..."

"And are they getting more frequent?"

Tony nodded slowly. "Yeah..."

Gibbs looked at Ducky, who shrugged, "I couldn't possibly say Jethro, it's been a considerable length of time since I had to deal with an Obstetrics' case. But I couldn't rule it out."

"Rule out what?" asked Ziva. Of the people at the table, she was the only one who looked puzzled. McGee and Jimmy were smiling in agreement at Ducky's comment. Gibbs was shaking his head in exasperation. Tony...Tony looked like a deer caught in the headlights. And Abby was still in the bathroom where she'd disappeared to just before the discussion had started.

"Tony's in labor," said Gibbs. His hand looked as if it was just itching to swat Tony. "DiNozzo, what the hell were you thinking? Why didn't you say something?"

"I...I didn't think...I mean, I thought it was another false alarm. Gibbs, I can't be in labor, Doctor Wu said it'd be next week, that's my due date, right?" There was a note of alarm in Tony's voice.

Gibbs squeezed his hand reassuringly, "A due date is just an E.T.A. Babies tend to come when they're ready. And it looks like Junior can't wait."

"You are considered full term, Tony," said Ducky, "If indeed you are in labor, there should be no adverse effects from the baby being a few days in advance of its 'due date'. However, it may indeed be simply a false alarm."

"I'm not taking any chances," said Gibbs. "Looks like we'll have to take a rain check on the rest of the dinner, Ducky." He stood, still holding Tony's hand. "Come on Tony."

"Hey, what's happening?" asked Abby as she returned to the room. "No, don't tell me, you and Tony fancy an 'early night'!"

Gibbs shook his head, "Tony's having contractions. I'm taking him to the hospital."

"He's in labor? Oh no, no, no, Tony, you can't be having the baby *now*!"

"Hey, it's okay Abs," said Tony, still looking a little shaken, "Ducky says it's cool, I mean I'm a little early, but it'll be okay."

"That's not why she's worried," commented Ziva, dryly. "She has a bet going that Jimmy will be the first to give birth."

"ABBY!" Everybody looked at Abby in shock.

"You are betting on my child's birth?" Gibbs's face was like thunder as he glared at Abby.

"Yeah Abby," said McGee, "How could you bet on something like this?"

"It was only a little bet," grumbled Abby, "And I know their due dates are the same, but I figured that Tony's not as punctual as Jimmy, so it'd be a sure thing."

"Gee thanks Abs," grumbled Tony. He sucked in his breath sharply as another cramp hit him. "Whoa...that...that was a big one."

"Right, that's it. McGee, call Doctor Wu, tell her I'm bringing Tony in. If she's not on duty, find out who is."

"On it Boss," said McGee, grabbing his cell phone.

"Dammit Abby," said Gibbs, as he hauled Tony to his feet. "What the hell were you thinking?"

"I'm sorry, Gibbs," said Abby, not sounding very repentant. "It was only a bit of fun."

"Yeah, well you're gonna lose your bet now."

"Um...I wouldn't be too sure about that," said Jimmy. His face paled as everybody looked at him. "I...I think my waters just broke!"

-----------------------

To be continued

Ceindreadh
Chapter End Notes:
I wrote a fic called Reality Check, which featured an M-Preg dream. Feedback was so positive that I decided to do the real thing.