- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The rest of the team are anxious for news of Jimmy and Tony.
Title: Misconceptions 28/?
Author: Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindreadh@eircom.net
Website: n/a
Permission to archive: Yes to WWOMB, anybody else, please ask first.
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre (general, hetero or slash) : Slash, M-PREG, Angst/hurt-comfort
Pairing/Characters: Gibbs/DiNozzo, McGee/Jimmy
Rating: T
Warnings: THIS IS AN M-PREG FIC. If you don't like M-Preg then don't read it. If you read it anyway, then don't go complaining to me that you don't like it *because* it's M-Preg

Disclaimer. I don't own the NCIS characters, I'm only borrowing them, and I promise to return them in minty fresh condition when I'm finished.
Notes: Thanks to FatCat for her Beta'ing
I was going to go into this whole pseudo-scientific explanation as to how M-Preg works in this universe, but then I thought, Feck it. It works, and that's it.

Previously on NCIS.
After an eventful pregnancy, both Jimmy and Tony went into labor over Thanksgiving Dinner at Ducky's house and were brought to hospital. Doctor Wu had warned Tony earlier that as a result of his bout of the Plague, he might suffer from difficulties during the labor. Tony had 'forgotten' to mention that warning to Gibbs, and refused to be pushed into having a c-section.

----------------------

[28]

"I think we should phone the hospital, Ducky," said Abby. "See if there's any news."

Ducky opened his eyes and jumped as he focused on the Goth only a few inches away from him. "What...who...Abby...what on earth are you doing here?"

Abby stepped back from Ducky's bed, "You said Ziva and I should stay the night, don't you remember, Ducky?"

"I certainly remember that, my dear." Abby had been bouncing off the walls ever since the two couples had left for the hospital. Ducky had practically insisted that she stay over, mainly because he was sure that if left to her own devices she would turn up at the hospital sooner rather then later. He knew that much as all four men cared for Abby, the last thing they needed at this moment was a highly charged Goth bouncing around the place.
"What I meant was, what are you doing in my bedroom?" He looked at his bedside clock, "At seven am?"

"She wanted to wake you at five," said Ziva from the doorway.

"I can't help it," said Abby, "I'm just so excited! Tony and Jimmy's babies could be here and we wouldn't know about it!"

"I'm sure that if either baby had arrived, then Jethro or Timothy would have contacted us by now," said Ducky. He picked up his glasses from the bedside table and put them on. "I did explain to you that we could be in for a long wait. For a first time delivery, labors of more than twenty four hours are not unheard of."

"I hate waiting," grumbled Abby.

-----------------

But she had to wait for over an hour until Ducky was dressed and breakfasted and had driven them all to the hospital. He'd insisted on both his guests having a full breakfast before he'd allowed them to leave. "My dears, I couldn't possibly allow you to leave without eating. It would be most inhospitable of me." At the back of his mind, Ducky was trying to buy as much time as possible before he inflicted his guests on the hospital.

But eventually they'd packed into Ducky's car for the drive. When they hit a busy stretch of the road, Abby seemed almost ready to jump out and start walking. But fortunately the traffic cleared and they made good time.

Once inside, Abby led the way. Ziva looked at her quizzically as she guided them through the mass of corridors without once needing directions.
"I downloaded the floor plans of the hospital a few weeks ago," explained Abby. "I was bored and figured it might come in useful."

"I believe it was time well spent," said Ducky as they approached the reception desk, where he informed the nurse on duty who they were there to see. She directed them to a small waiting area; saying that she'd check and see what information could be divulged. Ducky hoped it wouldn't take too long though as he could see that Abby was on the verge of exploding with impatience.

Fortunately for all concerned, it was only a few minutes later when Abby let out a squeal as she saw Gibbs and McGee approaching.

"Jethro, Timothy," said Ducky, "Is there news?"

Gibbs and McGee exchanged glances before turning back to the others. With a big smile, they said simultaneously, "It's a boy!"

"Oh my God, oh my God, that is so cool!" squealed Abby. She launched herself at Gibbs and hugged him before nearly knocking McGee off balance with an equally wild hug. Ziva and Ducky chimed in with congratulations and questions and hugs and handshakes.

"Seven pounds two," said Gibbs. "Eight pounds even," said McGee. "They're both doing fine."
"Tony's resting for a bit." "We were just going to phone you."

"So come on," said Abby, "Who got here first?" She looked at Gibbs and McGee expectantly.

"Oh I don't know," said McGee, a look of studied innocence on his face. "You know, I think it was a dead heat."

"McGee!" Abby turned to Gibbs, "Come on Bossman, you'll tell me, right?"

"Sorry Abby," said Gibbs, unrepentantly. "McGee's right. It was too close to call...and that's all I'm saying on the matter."

Abby pouted for a second before brightening. "I'm sure Tony and Jimmy will be able to fill me in." She started to move down the corridor, only to be stopped by Gibbs's hand on her arm. "What? I just want to see them."

"I know, but they're both resting now."

"But Gibbs!"

"No 'buts'," said Gibbs. "It's been a long night. Come back this evening."

"Yeah Abby," said McGee. "Honestly, Jimmy's exhausted and so am I. You can see him and the baby this evening."

"That's right," added Gibbs, "We'll make all the introductions then."

For once Abby's powers of persuasion failed her, as both Gibbs and McGee stood firm. Even a promise by Abby to just 'pop her head around the door to say hello' didn't get her past them. Finally, reluctantly, she agreed to leave the new families in peace for the rest of the day, grumbling at the meanness of some people who wouldn't even reveal the names of their new sons until later.

"I'll catch up with you in a minute," said Ducky as he handed the car keys to Abby. "Wait for me in the parking garage." He waited until both women had disappeared towards the elevators before turning back to Gibbs and McGee. "So, everything *is* all right?"

McGee nodded, "The baby's healthy. Jimmy's exhausted though; it's been a long night...for both of us. I'm just going to make some phone calls, spread the good news, and then I'll head home for a few hours rest. Doctor Wu has ordered me not to come back until I've cleaned up a bit." His smile turned into a yawn.

"And Tony?"

"He's okay, Ducky," said Gibbs. "We had a little bit of a scare...but he'll be fine once he's had a chance to recover his strength."

- - - - - - - - - - -

Gibbs had returned to Tony's room to find the Nurse putting a nasal cannula on him. "What's going on?" Gibbs asked in alarm as he hurried to Tony's side.

"It's just a precaution, Mr. Gibbs," said the Nurse. "Tony was feeling a little short of breath."

Gibbs reached for Tony's hand automatically.

"It...I'm just...just a little tired," said Tony.

Gibbs cupped the side of Tony's face, noticing just how pale and exhausted he looked, "You sure you don't want to reconsider a c-section?"

Tony shook his head, "I...I'm fine...just...hold me Jethro..." He closed his eyes, breathing heavily.

Gibbs slid onto the bed beside him, holding him close and murmuring reassuringly. "It's going to be all right, Tony. I'm here, I'm with you, you're doing great."

The rest of the labor seemed like an eternity for Gibbs. It felt like a knife going into him every time Tony groaned under the weight of another contraction. All he could do was hold Tony and try to reassure him that everything was going to be fine. But finally after what seemed like hours, if not days, Gibbs heard the sound of a baby crying and Doctor Wu announcing, "It's a boy!"

- - - - - - - - - -- -

"They had to put Tony on oxygen," Gibbs explained to Ducky, "He nearly passed out during the birth, but he's okay now, thank God."

Ducky patted Gibbs on the shoulder; "It's been a long night for all of you."

"But it was worth it," said Gibbs, smiling tiredly.

"It certainly was!" added McGee.


------------------------


to be continued
Chapter End Notes:
I wrote a fic called Reality Check, which featured an M-Preg dream. Feedback was so positive that I decided to do the real thing.