- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
McGee still can't forgive Gibbs for Jimmy's accident.
Title: Misconceptions 08/?
Author: Ceindreadh
Email: Ceindreadh@eircom.net
Website: n/a
Permission to archive: Yes to WWOMB, anybody else, please ask first.
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre (general, hetero or slash) : Slash, M-PREG, Angst/hurt-comfort
Pairing/Characters: Gibbs/DiNozzo, McGee/Jimmy
Rating: T
Warnings: THIS IS AN M-PREG FIC. If you don't like M-Preg then don't read it. If you read it anyway, then don't go complaining to me that you don't like it *because* it's M-Preg
Later chapters *will* feature minor character death, just so you know.
Disclaimer. I don't own the NCIS characters, I'm only borrowing them, and I promise to return them in minty fresh condition when I'm finished.
Notes: Thanks to FatCat for her Beta'ing
I was going to go into this whole pseudo-scientific explanation as to how M-Preg works in this universe, but then I thought, Feck it. It works, and that's it.

Previously on NCIS - Jimmy got in the middle of a Tony/Gibbs argument and was accidentally pushed into a wall by Gibbs. Although he suffered no serious injury to himself or the baby, McGee was furious with Gibbs. Relationships were strained between Gibbs and McGee as a result. Gibbs felt that although he had been at fault, Jimmy's injury *had* been an accident. McGee for his part was unwilling to forgive and forget.



--------------------------

[8]

Jimmy whistled happily to himself as he bustled round Autopsy setting things up. The instrument tray was all laid out, just the way Doctor Mallard liked it. All the sample slides and evidence bags were ready...all that was needed was the body.

Jimmy glanced over at the morgue drawers. It would only take him a few minutes to transfer the body to the table, and then everything would be all ready for Doctor Mallard when he got there.

Jimmy pushed a gurney over to the morgue drawers and pulled one open. He was just about to slide the tray out when he heard a voice behind him.

"Just what do you think you're doing!"

Jimmy spun around quickly, his hand going automatically to his abdomen. "Tim! You startled me!"

McGee repeated his question, "And what do you think you're doing? You know you're not supposed to be moving bodies on your own."

"It's not a heavy one," protested Jimmy. "And I just wanted to get everything ready for Doctor Mallard."

McGee moved over beside him and shut the drawer door. Turning to Jimmy, he kissed him on the lips. "Ducky won't mind you waiting for him to help. You know how good he's been the last few months."

"I know."

- - - - - - - - - - -

Ducky had indeed been most protective of Jimmy, even visiting him at home once he'd been released from the hospital.

"So how are you doing, my boy?" asked Ducky, as he sat across from Jimmy in his and McGee's apartment.

"I'm okay, I guess," said Jimmy, who was sitting on the couch, his feet propped up on a cushion. "Still a little sore in places, but Doctor Oliver said I'd be fine with plenty of rest."

"And I'll be making sure he gets *that*," said McGee as he brought in a tray. Setting it down on the coffee table, he handed mugs of tea to Jimmy and Ducky before sitting on the arm of the sofa at Jimmy's head.

"I can see that you're looking after him most admirably," said Ducky with a smile. "You're looking a lot better than when I saw you last." He hesitated slightly before continuing, "And everything *is* okay, I take it?"

Jimmy rested his hand protectively on his abdomen, "Yes. I should be back at work next week, and Doctor Wu said there should be no problem with me working. I can come back sooner if you need me..."

"My boy, your health and that of your baby is much more important," said Ducky reassuringly. "If necessary I can scare up a pathology assistant from Bethesda for a day or two. Doctor Stroller over there owes me a few favors. However," continued Ducky, pausing only to sip his tea. "There will of course have to be a few changes once you return."

He saw the look of worry that appeared on Jimmy's face and the way McGee's hand gripped Jimmy's shoulder protectively.

"Oh there's no need to be alarmed," Ducky added quickly. "It's just some minor issues. Things like absenting yourself when x-rays are being taken, avoiding some of the more noxious chemicals we use. And of course no heavy lifting without assistance. That sort of thing."

"I see," said Jimmy, sipping his tea thoughtfully. "And what about working in the field? I *do* want to, I mean I do enjoy that part of our work..."

"I think that we'll take that on a case by case basis," said Ducky. "I don't want you falling down any more hills!"

"You'd have to give back your merit badge in hiking then," grinned McGee. "But don't worry Ducky, I'll make sure he wears sensible shoes!"

"Of course there will come a point when it will not longer be practical for you to attend crime scenes," warned Ducky. "As a rule of thumb, I would say that once you are unable to stand without being pulled up...well that might be a good time to start limiting your participation."

"Thank you, Doctor Mallard," said Jimmy. "You...you've been more than accommodating...I...I'm just sorry I didn't tell you sooner..." To his horror, Jimmy could feel tears pricking at his eyes and he pinched the bridge of his nose, "I...I'm sorry...I just can't seem to..."

"It's quite all right, Jimmy," said Ducky, gently. "You've been through a nasty experience...your hormones are all over the place. It's perfectly natural."

"I know...I know..."

-----------

"Thank you for visiting, Ducky," said McGee as he handed Ducky his coat a little later. Jimmy had retired to bed for a nap after nearly falling asleep during the conversation.

"It was my pleasure," replied Ducky. He hesitated a little before continuing, "Timothy, I wanted to speak to you in private...about Gibbs."

McGee's eyes narrowed, "I have nothing to say about *him*. Jimmy's not making a formal complaint...that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned."

"You *do* know that he would never have knowingly raised a hand to Jimmy?"

"And what about Tony? He certainly raised his hand to *him*...look Ducky, before this happened, I'd have been the first to agree that Gibbs wouldn't strike anybody like that. But now...now I'm starting to wonder...what exactly did he do to make *two* of his wives physically attack him. You can't try to tell me that he's some sort of victim who attracts physically abusive women. To me...to me it just seems like maybe they were getting their own back or something." McGee looked away uncomfortably. He didn't like saying that...he didn't even like *thinking* that way about a man that he had respected more than any other...but the facts were there. Gibbs *had* raised a hand to Tony...he *had* been in volatile relationships...even the slaps on the head that he doled out on a regular basis were starting to look more sinister in nature.
"Ducky, I know he's your friend...but...but I don't want him anywhere near Jimmy. I'm sorry."

Ducky patted McGee on the arm, "I fully appreciate your situation, Timothy. Your instinct is to protect your loved ones...it's most admirable. But something you should be aware of before you condemn Jethro out of hand. It's true that I've treated him on a number of occasions following altercations with his wives...but on many of those occasions, Jethro's only injuries were to his knuckles..."

McGee opened his mouth to say something but Ducky continued, "And most of those injuries were consistent with those that would be obtained when punching a wall at point blank range. Gibbs is not in the habit of assaulting people unnecessarily." Ducky picked up his hat and put it on. "I understand your concerns, and I'll do what I can to keep Jimmy out of harms way...and I don't mean just from Gibbs."

- - - - - - - - - -

And Ducky had kept to his word. It sometimes irked Jimmy the way that Doctor Mallard seemed to hover protectively over him, and wouldn't let him lift anything heavier than a femur without assistance, but he knew that it was a sign of how much his boss cared. And if he resented sometimes having to stay in the van when a body was located in a particularly precarious setting, well that was just something he had to get used to.

One thing Jimmy couldn't get used to was the way people were looking at him now. It wasn't just him being pregnant that was drawing glances...there were all these rumors that had been floating round since...since the incident.

Since nobody was saying anything about the incident...officially...the staff at N.C.I.S. had naturally filled in the gaps themselves. After all, it wasn't everyday that one of Doctor Mallard's assistants got carted off in an ambulance...that only happened every few years. The scuttlebutt varied from 'Jimmy Palmer getting into a fist fight with Tony' to 'Gibbs swatting Jimmy on the head and overdoing it', there was even a rumor that Palmer had caught DiNozzo and Gibbs getting it on in the storage closet and had fainted clean away with shock'.

Ziva had freely admitted to spreading that last one around, figuring that the juicier the rumor, the more likely it was to be believed, "And if you don't want the truth to be known then you need to lie big," she had told Jimmy.

So things at N.C.I.S. had pretty much returned to normal as far as Jimmy was concerned. He just wished it was the same for Tim. Although he hadn't said anything, Jimmy knew that things were a little strained between Tim and Gibbs. But every time he tried to bring up the subject, Tim just brushed it aside. Jimmy worried that the growing coolness between the two agents would affect their work, but he couldn't see any way to fixing it. And if truth be told, he was hoping that if left long enough then they'd both come to their senses.

So the weeks passed and Jimmy started filling out a bit. He was lucky to be able to wear scrub tops most of the time. While not exactly the most flattering of clothing, they at least had the advantage of being comfortable and practical and didn't draw attention to the small bulge of his abdomen.

Tony had been less fortunate and spent many an hour down in Autopsy bemoaning the fact that his favorite designers didn't do a wide enough range in m-pregnancy wear.

But pregnancy wise, by twenty weeks that was the worst that either of them had been having to deal with.

Well, apart from Tim's overprotective streak thought Jimmy as he faced down his lover.

"Look, if you don't want me lifting it, then how about helping me," said Jimmy. "It's really not that heavy...a fire burned away most of the flesh, so it's pretty much just bones...a little sinews here and there." He grinned evilly at the queasy expression that came over McGee's face.

"Um, I think I'll pass. I uh, just came down to let you know that Tony and I are heading out to do interviews. Ziva's at the dentist..."

"So Gibbs is on his own," finished Jimmy. "I'll be fine, Doctor Mallard will be here soon, and if Gibbs shows up before then...well, I'll hide in one of the drawers until he goes away." He grinned mischievously.

"Don't even joke about that," said McGee. "You could get locked in by accident. Look, I'll wait here until Ducky shows up."

"Tim!" There was a note of exasperation in his voice. "I'll be fine." He looked at his watch, "Doctor Mallard is just running a little late. If he's not here soon then I'll phone him, but I'll be fine on my own. Don't worry." He kissed McGee on the cheek. "You worry too much."

"I know," said McGee sighing, "I just..."

"Just go and do your job, and I'll do mine."

Jimmy watched as McGee reluctantly left. He glanced at his watch again. It really wasn't like Doctor Mallard to be late. In fact, Jimmy could count on one hand the number of times that he had arrived at Autopsy before his boss. He looked at the clock on the wall and wondered whether he should phone him or not.

Half an hour later, Jimmy was starting to get really worried. Doctor Mallard was never ever this late. He was just about to pick up the phone when it rang.

"N.C.I.S. morgue, can I help you?" said Jimmy.

"Ah Jimmy." He heard Ducky's voice on the line.

"Doctor Mallard, I was just about to call you. Everything's almost set up for the John Doe autopsy."

"Ah yes...I'm afraid I won't be able to perform that one today. You see..." Ducky's voice seemed to crack a bit before he steadied it. "You see, Mother...Mother didn't wake up this morning."

----------------------

To be continued
Chapter End Notes:
I wrote a fic called Reality Check, which featured an M-Preg dream. Feedback was so positive that I decided to do the real thing.