- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
And then there were 9 ...

Also the team have a big day ahead of them.
They have to go walking to get firewood ... what happenes when one group does make it back in time ... or what if ...
Jimmy rolled over and opened his eyes. He felt the sunlight on his face. It was obviously morning. He sat up and saw a brown snake at the end of his bed. He screamed as loud as he could. Cate and Tony woke up. Abby, McGee and Gibbs came running into the cabin. The snake made an attempt to get Jimmy.
Just before the snake bites him … a knife hit the snake through the neck and pinned it to the wall. Jimmy looked towards the doorway of their cabin.
‘Thanks … thanks a lot Ziva' He gasped.
‘No problem' She said.
‘What are you doing here?' Tony asked.
‘I'm staying from now on. Jenny only wanted me at the office for yesterday … as I was just told sometime ago'
‘How'd you get here?' Cate asked and got out of bed.
Ziva starred at her pyjamas. ‘A helichopper' She replied.
‘Helicopter' Gibbs corrected her.
‘Whatever' Ziva said and put her bags on the empty bed next to Jimmy's.
‘You missed last might's major event' Abby teased while smiling.
‘And that was?' Ziva asked and started to clean her knife with a cloth.
Gibbs left in a hurry.
‘Oh … Cate pashed Tony' Abby said.
‘As a dare' Cate added.
‘Tongue usage?' Ziva asked in surprise.
‘Yeah' Tony answered for Cate.
‘And?' Ziva asked.
‘And what?' Cate asked.
‘Was he a good kisser? Was he so good that you'd do it again?' Ziva asked, being more specific.
‘Um … he was a good kisser … I don't know what you're getting at here but yes … he was a good kisser … not that it meant anything' Cate mumbled and went to the bathroom to do her hair, get dressed etc.



After breakfast (They'd brought supplies with them), Gibbs told them to stay at the campsite and just hangout for a while. They did.


McGee and Abby had brought a number of technology equipment and were currently playing a computer game (on a laptop). Jimmy was in bed catching up on sleep. Ducky and Gibbs were talking. Max was cleaning the limo while Ziva spoke to him. Tony and Cate were on the cabin's veranda. There were no chairs; they were just sitting on the floor, talking.




By lunchtime, Jimmy was up and then everyone sat around the campfire area (The fire wasn't lit though). They were all eating sandwiches. Salad with meat and mayonnaise. Tony was picking all the salad stuff out.
‘You know that healthy stuff won't kill you Tony' Cate said.
‘Swo?' Tony asked.
‘When will you learn to not talk with your mouthful?'
‘Nevrer Cate' Tony said and smiled.
Cate signed and gave up.
Gibbs came over with coffee and to Abby's delight … a Caf-Pow.
‘Oh wow! Gibbs … you're my hero!' Abby yelled and jumped up to grab it.
‘You'll have to wait until …' Gibbs started to say, but Abby snatched it off him.
‘Thankyou Gibbs' Abby smiled and took a big sip.




Once everyone was done. Gibbs made sure they didn't go anywhere as he had to talk to them.
‘Okay now listen up. All six of your are going to get some more firewood from the side of the river' Gibbs announced.
‘What river?' Jimmy asked, looking around.
‘Oh … it's kinda a long walk'
‘Long … walk?' Tony complained.
‘Yeah … it'll do you good Dinozzo. I expect you all back here within … (Gibbs looked at his watch) four to five hours. And you'll need to break into teams in order to get the required amount of firewood. Hmmmm … Cate and Tony … Jimmy and McGee … and Abby and Ziva' Gibbs finished.
‘What?' Abby yelled. ‘But why can't I go with …'
‘No buts … now move it if you want to make it back in time … oh and no getting lost. If no one's back by six pm … there's gonna be trouble … but you're on your own' Gibbs went back to his cabin with Max and Ducky.
The others went back to their cabin to get some equipment, water bottles etc.



After about ten minutes, everyone was in their "groups" and were walking towards the so called river that they couldn't even see yet.
They all split up at a three turn.
Abby and Ziva went east, Tony and Cate went north. Jimmy and McGee went west.
Abby waved sadly to everyone, was if she wasn't going to make it back or something.
‘So I guess it's just you and me now'
‘Just because we're in a so called "team" Ziva … doesn't mean that we have to talk to one another' Abby grumbled.
‘Fine' Ziva said and they kept walking.




To the west …
‘Do you think there really is a river? I mean Gibbs could be tricking us you know' McGee said.
‘Does he do that often?' Jimmy asked.
‘Yeah … on occasions'
‘I hope there's one … all this walking is not really my kind of thing'
‘Me neither' McGee sighed.



To the north …
‘Are we there yet?' Tony complained.
‘With you walking that slow? We've got no chance' Cate called back to him.
‘Piggy back me' Tony called out to her.
‘Piggy back yourself' She said and stopped to wait for him to catch up.
‘Too much walking … sore feet … need water …' Tony gasped as he attempted to catch up.
‘Didn't you bring a water bottle?'
‘Yes … but it's empty' Tony replied.
‘Well hurry up … you can have some of my water … I'm used to big walks'
‘Thankyou' Tony said as he caught up to her and she handed him the bottle of water.
‘Can we have a break now?' He asked and had a sip.
‘Tony … we just had a break' Cate said loudly.
‘Yeah … now can we have another one?'
‘Fine' Cate said as Tony collapsed to sit down on a rock.



Back at Camp …
‘Do you think they'll find it Jethro?'
‘Nope' Gibbs replied to ducky.
‘Well you could've been more specific' Max added in.
‘Yeah I could've … but I wasn't' Gibbs smiled.
‘Well at least tell them that the river is actually a type of tree' Ducky sighed.
‘Nah … they should've read the information Jen gave us … if they'd read it … I don't have to tell them anything'
‘I doubt they did Jethro … there's one of those tree right in this campsite' Ducky said.
Gibbs smiled ‘I know'



To the north …
‘Wait! Cate don't move!' Tony said and jumped off his rock.
‘What? What?' She asked and looked around.
‘You think that one is related to the one that was on Jimmy's bed?' Tony asked.
Cate panicked and looked behind her. Sure enough … a brown snake was lying there.
‘I dunno … this one is heaps bigger' Cate whispered.
‘You're not kidding' Tony said and grabbed Cate's hand to pull her away as the snake turned and looked at her feet.
‘Help' Cate whispered.
‘Getting there' Tony said and pulled out his gun. He moved in front of Cate to protect her.
‘Tony … be careful'
‘How can I not be? I got that one off your leg that time … remember?'
‘Yeah … the difference is that one wasn't actually poisonous Tony'
‘Oh … yeah' Tony sighed and aimed at the snake, whom was heading over.



To the west …
‘Are you sure there's one Jimmy?'
‘Yes … it's called the … okay I can't remember what it's called … but it's the something river tree'
‘Wow … where'd you learn that?'
‘Tony told me yesterday and Abby said she's seen it before'
‘Oh … well they know what to look for … we'd better hurry up. McGee said and looked around carefully.



To the east …
‘Okay … silence is worst than not talking … even if it is to you' Abby said in an annoyed tone.
‘Okay then … what do you want to discuss?' Ziva asked.
‘Um … I dunno' Abby admitted.
‘Well that helps on this little Contexture' Ziva sighed.
‘What? Ah … adventure' Abby said.
‘Yes … whatever'
‘What's the time mr wolf?' Abby asked.
‘Isn't that from a game played in primary school?' Ziva asked her.
‘The time?' Abby asked again.
‘So it is … the time is … four thirty' She replied.
‘Okay … we've found nothing … let's go back'
‘But …'
‘What's worst Ziva? Being empty handed … or lost in the dark?'
‘Okay … let's go' Ziva sighed.



To the west …
‘Well … we do make a pretty good team Jimmy'
‘Yeah' Jimmy agreed as they gathered as much wood as they could carry.
‘We can fill these fairly big bags … then carry the big ones between us' McGee said.
‘Good idea' Jimmy said.
After gathering all they could … Jimmy and McGee headed back to camp.
‘Well I guess … …'
McGee didn't get to finish what he was saying. A loud gunshot was heard. The gun was fired about three times.
‘We better get back to camp fast … you're armed McGee … I'm not'
‘I know … let's move it' McGee agreed.





5:30pm … at camp …

Gibbs saw Jimmy and McGee appear. they were carrying a huge load of branches etc.
‘Hey boss' McGee said. They dumped the wood a few metres form the fire area.
‘You two are on time'
Ziva and Abby ran into the site.
‘Yes! I win!' Ziva said as Abby was just behind her.
‘I have an excuse' Abby sighed.
‘And what was that?'
‘You're an agent who's trained for that … I'm not meant to be running around'
‘And now we're just waiting for Cate and Dinozzo' Gibbs said and went to sit down around the campfire (That still wasn't lit yet).
Everyone went to join him.
They all sat there … and just waited …
Chapter End Notes:
This ff is probably the one i've enjoyed writing the most. I have been to camp recently and thought it would be funny if ncis went camping. I apolize if the chapters are very long at times :)
Please let me know what you think.