- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ari is back.
Chapter 14.
The best and the worst…

Ducky had left them alone. He knew now that they would be fine. He had watched his friends carefully before relaxing but he had witnessed their silent exchange, the way they were searching for eye contact, light touches…The ME had smiled at their hesitations, it was not so usual to watch Leroy Jethro Gibbs acting like a teenager in love for the first time. That was exactly the image Tony and Gibbs were giving to see…teenagers in love.
The older man was still smiling as he parked his car in front of the house he was sharing with his mother. He would never have bet for the situation to turn like this only hours ago. But love has is own way to put people together.

Tony and Gibbs were still at Gibbs' house. They had shared a good meal and talked some more about what they would do, about their feelings…Tony was still not sure that Gibbs would stay in DC and the older man kept avoiding direst answers on that subject. It was probably too early for him but there was a big difference now… Tony had hope...Hope that his love would be enough to make him stay.

-A penny for your thoughts…
Tony was on the couch and looked at Gibbs who was standing in front of him a smile on his face. He had seen him smile before but this one was only for him and it warmed his heart to know he could make Gibbs smile like that.
-I was only thinking about the way life can make bad things turn into good ones sometimes…
-You're right, it happens sometimes.
Gibbs sat next to him and his hand found his way to Tony's hand. He loved having him close but what he loved the most was to be able to do such simple things as spending time with Tony just holding his hand. In those moments it was like nothing of what had happened in the last three days had been real. He could almost forget about Ari and his evil plans.

Gibbs sighed and rested his head on the back of the couch.
-Come here…
Tony put an arm around his shoulder and pulled him closer. Gibbs' head was now resting on Tony shoulder and closed his eyes.
-It's going to fine now we've found each other, Jethro. I know we still have some things to talk about but I want you to know I will be here for you no matter what happens and no matter what you decide to do.
Gibbs didn't reply. He couldn't help feeling it would not be so easy. He had never felt so close to someone before meeting Tony and he was not used to feeling safe. He could not afford it; it would have been too dangerous. And now he wanted nothing more than trust Tony and let himself savor the pleasure to be with the man he loved.

Tony felt the man in his arms tensed and he knew too well what Gibbs was thinking about.
-Nothing wrong is going to happen, Jethro. I won't let anyone destroy what we have and what we are going to build together…
-You can't be sure of that Tony and you know it as well as me. Ari is still after me and after you now.
-We have to find him before he finds us then…
Gibbs looked up at him. He knew what Tony was trying to do and he was not sure he wanted to let him do that. He knew he would have to hunt down Ari but he had thought about doing it alone. The last thing he wanted was for Tony to be hurt or worse. He still thought that the best way to protect him from Ari would be to go away from him.

Tony seemed to read his mind and frowned.
-You won't get rid of me so easily this time Gibbs. If you go away, I go with you and if you try to flee from me I would find you.
-Tony, I don't want …
-What…? You don't want me in your life…? You don't love me…? Tell me Gibbs.
Tony had said it with a calm voice because he knew it was not what Gibbs wanted but he needed to show him his determination not to let him go. Gibbs didn't answer; he only closed his eyes trying to erase the image that had just formed in his mind. Ari had showed him what he would do to Tony and he couldn't let it happen.

-Jethro, tell me what you don't want…No better than that…Tell me what you want.
-I…
Tony raised his hand…
-And don't tell me you don't know.
-I don't want you to be hurt because of me, because what I feel for you.
-What makes you think I would be hurt…? You think I'm not able to defend myself even in front of Ari?
-Kate was a good Agent too and she couldn't do anything, Tony. You know what this guy can do.
-I know, Jethro but it would not be safer for me if we are apart. If I had to trust someone to take care of my safety, you would the one I would choose.
-Thanks Tony but I have been unable to protect Kate and I wouldn't be able to …

Gibbs had once again closed his eyes and Tony could see it was hard for him to face the feelings he was experiencing right now. Tony would never have thought Gibbs could feel insecure. He placed a hand on the older man's cheek.
-What do you want, Jethro?
Gibbs met Tony's eyes. He tried to look away but the younger man didn't let him flee this time.
-Look at me and tell me what you want us to do, now.
-Tony…I…
-It's not so hard.
-It is for me. What I want to do and what I should do are two different things.
-I don't need to hear what you should because you already showed me what it was…and it has not been a good idea. I need to know what you really want. I'm going to tell you what I wish.

Tony took a deep breath before going on. The words were still hard to say for him.
-I love you, Jethro. It took me time to realize it and it almost cost you your life. But now, I can't imagine my life without you at my side. I don't know what life has reserved for us but I want you to be a part of it. But I won't push you. I would understand if you didn't want it…
Gibbs opened his mouth to say something but Tony stopped him putting a finger on his lips.
-Let me finish, please. You are too important to me to make you do something you are not ready to do but I've never felt that for anyone before, Jethro. No one had ever made me feel loved before and I don't want it to end…

Tony let his lips talk for him and he put all his love in the kiss he gave him. Both men could feel the air warming up in the room as they tongues danced and played. Tony had always prided himself to be a good kisser but it was something new for him to kiss someone who wanted to have the control as much as him. And Gibbs was good at it. He once more found himself totally lost in the sensations the older man was able to make him feel. He couldn't tell who broke the contact first but they were now face to face unable to talk. Their eyes were talking for them expressing their love, their needs.

-Tony, I want you to be a part of my life too. I love you, never doubt that.
Tony smiled softly at him. That's exactly what he wanted to hear, what he needed to know. Gibbs had said those words looking him straight in the eyes and he had seen the truth in them.
They spent the rest of the evening in each others arms. Tony had felt Gibbs relaxed little by little and fell asleep. He didn't want to wake him up even if he knew they would be better in a bed.

He had not realized he was tired but the next time he opened his eyes the room was dark. It took him a moment to sense there was someone else in the room. He searched for his gun but he had left it in Gibbs' bedroom. He was blaming himself for his stupidity when he heard someone laugh. He would never forget that laugh and he knew immediately that what Gibbs' fears would come true.

-I see you finally found him, Anthony.
-What do you want Ari?
-Don't be so impatient, Anthony…!
Gibbs began to wake up. Tony would have preferred him to stay asleep. The younger man didn't released his hold, he didn't want Gibbs away from him especially now.
-Tony…?
-It's ok, Jethro.
-You two are so cute…
Gibbs was now perfectly awake. This voice…
-Ari…
-Himself…Happy to see you are fine Jethro.

Gibbs sat on the couch looking at the man he could now distinguish in front of him.
-What do you want?
Ari laughed and turned on the small lamp next to him.
-Anthony had already asked me that question. I just wanted to see how you two were doing…
-You've seen. Now you'd better go before I decide to put a bullet in your hard-head…
-You're threatening me, Jethro. You don't remember what happened the last time you tried something like that…I'm sure you don't want Anthony to be hurt…

Gibbs felt his blood freeze in is veins. He still had in mind the pictures Ari had showed him.
-I see you remember. I'm sorry for what happened to Caitlin. She was a smart and beautiful woman. But you should have told me not to touch her…
-I know what you are trying to do Ari but it's not going to work…
Ari stood up. Gibbs and Tony could now see the gun he was carrying. They had not doubted that the man was armed.
-Let Tony go!
-Isn't it nice, Anthony? He is trying to save your life. You really love him Jethro?
-Let him go, Ari. He has nothing to do with what I did to you.
-You are pathetic, Jethro. And I must disagree with you. Anthony is the key to our problem…

Gibbs was scared that Ari had come here only to kill Tony. He couldn't let him do that.
-I'm the one who shot you. I'm the one who told the FBI you were not the agent they believed you to be…
-Yes and the best way to make you pay for that is to kill the ones you love. Then I'm planning on staying here and watch you kill yourself…
-It's not going to happen Ari. I won't give that pleasure…
-You are not that strong, Jethro.
Gibbs realized his hands were shaking but he couldn't let Ari see that. No he was not that strong. Tony had not moved and Gibbs knew he was searching for a way to get out of this dangerous situation.

Ari walked to the couch and aimed his gun at Tony's head. The younger man looked him straight in the eyes. The only thing he could do was to show he was not scared to die.
-Ari… it's between you and me. It's me you want to see dead, not him…
-You're wrong, Jethro. I don't want to see you dead…I want to make you suffer…your death would only be a bonus…
-Why…?
Tony's question took the two men by surprised. Gibbs would have slapped at the back of his head if he had been able to move. But he realized Tony was trying to make him talk, he was trying to give them time.
Ari looked down at him. He must admit this man had guts. He had a loaded gun aimed at his head and he was asking him why he wanted to kill him. A cold smile appeared on his face and Gibbs shivered as he realized Ari wouldn't let them go no matter what they tried.

He had to do something. Ari was about to shoot and at that distance Tony didn't have a chance. The man had nothing to loose and he was not someone you could talk to. He had come here to kill both of them and nothing would make him change his mind. Tony was aware of that too.
-I have a last request before you shoot me. Even you can't deny me that…
-I'm sorry, Anthony. I don't have any cigarettes here…
-I don't smoke. Let me talk to Gibbs one last time…
Ari laughed again.
-I see…Last goodbyes…

Ari nodded but he didn't step back and kept the gun close to Tony's head. The younger man turned to Gibbs and took him in his arms. His mouth was close to his ear so that Ari couldn't hear what he was saying. When they parted Tony looked up at Ari defying him.
-Do what you have to do but please to it fast…
Ari had his eyes locked on Tony's eyes and he didn't see Gibbs moving at his left. The older man was still weak from his injuries but the fear of seeing the man he loved was giving him enough strength to do what he had to do.
Ari didn't realized what was hitting him. He only felt the weight of another body pushing him. The two men fell on the floor…

That's when Tony heard the shot…