- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs is missing...
Chapter 6.
Missing.

Seven a.m, Tony was already at his desk. First day as the boss. He had made a point of being the first in today. He had already a huge pile of files he needed to read. He had also to choose a new member for the team. So today he would check references, plan interviews of potential Agents.
The oe who would be chosen would have a real hard task to accomplish. Gibbs was not a person you could easily replace.
He was only there for an hour but he couldn't help thinking about him. The office seemed to be so empty without him pacing around, yelling at anyone coming in his way. Tony even missed the perpetual smell of coffee that filled the room every time he came in. Each "bips" of the elevator made him raise his head and he surprised himself many times hoping it was him. He had about to say "Hi Boss" a hundredth of time already.

Okay, that was bad... one hour without him and he was already searching for him. There was definetely something there he should thnink about.
Mc Gee arrived at eight and judging by the dark circles under his eyes, Tony realised that he wasn't the only one who didn't sleep well last night.
-Hi, Tim. How are you?

Tim was a bit surprised by Tony's welcome. He would have expected a " morning, Probie" like everyday since he had joined the team. Instead of the usual jokes Tony was putting on him a warm and friendly look.
-Well, Tony. I spent the night with Abby. She was so exhausted of crying that I didn't wake her up this morning.
-You do well. She needs to rest.
-I think she is not the only one who needs to rest. You look horrible, Tony. Did you slee at all last night.
-Sure, Tim. One or two hours just like you...

Tim headed to his desk. He sat heavily on his chair. Then realising that he had nothing special to do he turned to face Tony.
-So, What do we do now, Boss?
Tony looked up directly at him and Tim saw that he had done something wrong.
-Tim, can you do me a favor?
-Sure.
-Don't call me Boss please. I don't want to take his place.
-But you are the boss, now.
-Yeah! But I would never replace him and I don't want to. So call me Tony like you used to... let's keep some things unchanged, please.
-I didn't think of you as a new Gibbs calling you boss but I will do as you want. But I think we have to go on. We have to concentrate on the job. Ari may still be here planing a new attack.
-I'm well aware of our priorities, Tim. I was on that roof... remember. So you don't need to remind me how dangerous this man is.
-I know that you will what you have to but I wanted to tell that you have somthing to be ashamed of and nothing to proove to any of us...

Tony didn't reply, letting Tim go on.
-Gibbs didn't leave because of you. I don't know what happened between the two of you. It was obvious that you had issues but it's none of my buisiness. The only thing I know is that he chose you to do the job because I knew you were the best to handle it. I will stand with whatever you decide to do...
Tony was stunned by Tim's speech. The man he had for long considered as a Probie never talked lightly and Tony was flatered to hear so much trust in his voice.

-I'm glad to hear it Tim and I will need your expertise as a field agent. But most of all I need you to be my friend and tell me what you think. We have to work together and I need to rely on you and consider you as my equal. No lies, no hidings...
-I will do my best, Tony. You can count on me.
Tim was sure there was something more behind Tony's words and he knew it has something to do with Gibbs and what had made their friendship fall apart. But as he had said it was none of his buisiness and he knew that Tony would not talk to him on this matter.

-So, what next?
-We have no case, except hunting Ari. So we review what we know and what we need.
-That works for me. I'm gonna sum up what we have ...
-You do that and make a report in two hours. Then we have appointments...
-With whom?
Tony smiled at him and pointed some files on his desk.
-Our new Probies.
-Cool, May I assist you?
-I counted on that, Tim. But are you sure to be ready to frighten some tender-fleshed Agents?
-Oh Yeah. I'll be there. Your first meeting was as scary as mine?
-I had been recruited by Gibbs what do you think? Do you know what he is like before his first coffe?

Tim winced at the thought of what it may have been like for Tony.
-Yeah. I remember vividly the day his usual drug was closed.
-It was far worse. He had just divorced from his third wife...
-I can imagine. What did he do?
-Nothing. He looked at him for five minutes without saying a single word. Believ it or not. I was hired because I didn't say a thing too. I stayed there looking back at him.
-It was obviously what he was waiting for. Someone able to hold his gaze and not afraid to face him. You've always been the only able to really talk to him. I mean he actually listened to you even if he never showed it.
-How observant you are!
-I had plenty of time spying at you two. You can't imagine how invisible a computer geek can be.
-We are going to have a little talk about that at lunch... now back to work. I have a meeting with Morrow in ten.
-Sure, Tony. I'll call Abby later just to see if she is fine.
-You two are doing well?

Tim didn't expect the question. Even he knew that Tony was aware of the special relationship between Abby and him...
-It will never interfere with our job. I know about rule 12 but I'm sure we can manage.
-Screw rule 12, Tim. If you are good for her I don't see why I should disagree!
-I thought you agreed with Gibbs' rules not to have intimate relationship between colleagues.
-I did but I saw him screw up and leave his job because of this rule. Besides every rule need to be broken some times.
-I'm not really sure to understand but I guess you won't explain what this has to do with Gibbs' departure.
-Not now, Tim. I'm not quite sure I understood it too.
-No problem, Tony but you know I'm here if you need to talk.
-Fo now all I ask you is to take care of Abby. Tell her to take all the time she needs. We will manage.
-I think she will be here this afternoon. She can't stay too long far from her lab.
-Yeah, I think that's why she and Gibbs were so close. They are so alike, they live through their job.
-Maybe... I hope Gibbs will find what he is searching for at Norfolk.

Tony didn't reply anything and Tim went back to work. Will Gibbs enjoy his new job? He was sure that he would be a good teacher and the man he was going to teach the job to would be lucky to have him. But Tony couldn't help thinking that the job would not be the main problem Gibbs would have to deal with.
Tony was aware now that Gibbs had given some kind of equilibrium. He had found what he needed to stay sane and safe. What about now? To be honest he didn't know. He was worried for Gibbs, worried that he would stay alone. This feeling was new and disturbing too.

He looked up at the clock. Gibbs was supposed to be at Norfolk in the afternoon and he had planed to leave early but he was maybe still at his house.
He could call him to check if he was fine, if he didn't need anything. He grabbed his phone and dialed the well known number. He waited until the tenth ring before hanging down. He must have decided to leave earlier or he didn't want to talk to anyone.
Tony surprised himself wishing Gibbs had been there. He wanted to hear his voice one more time, to tell him he regretted what he had said... tell him... What?

He wanted to tell him to tay, to forget what had happened between them. He wanted him to come to work. He even missed the slaps at the back of his head. Gibbs never did it to hurt him but it surprised him each time. Tony had always been easily distracted but when Gibbs was near him he was able to concentrate. The man had his way to make him stay at his best. He had even been more confident in his abilities than himself.

It was time to meet Director Morrow for his first weekly report. He headed to his office thinking about how Gibbs had handled his first report as a team leader. He coudln't imagine him stressed or unease. He tried to forget his former boss as he opened the Director' office door. It seemed that he was unable to think about anything else and it was conforting to think that in a way Gibbs was still there with him.

He found Tim at the cafeteria. He was with Abby and he smiled at them as he took the third chair at the table.
-How are you doing, Abs?
-Better now, Tony. It was a bit too much for me I think.
-I know. I feel a little off myself.
-How was the meeting with Morrow?
-Nothing new. Our priority is to find Ari and send him to jail. He said we would have all we need. He told me about the Probies we have to interview this afternoon.
-I thought it was your choice?
-It is but he wanted to be sure that I was aware that the team needed another field agent.
-What did you answer?
-I told him that one way or another we'll need help to catch Ari even if I am convinced that hiring someone who had never been on the field is a mistake...

Tim winced at that statement and looked up at seeing that his new boss was shaking his head.
-What Tim? That's true and you know it. I don't have time for a Probie besides I'm not Gibbs. I don't want to be on the field with someone I couldn't trust... someone not...
-Someone who is not Gibbs?
Tim had said it out of a reflex because it was the way he was feeling too. Hearing Tony he had followed his thoughts and said out loud what his new boss was tinking. As he looked at Tony, he saw that the question had upset him.
-Sorry Tony. I didn't mean to say it like that.
-No, Tim. You are right. I wish he should be here to help us.

Abby looked at them and Tony could see anger in her eyes.
-I will never forgive him for leaving us at the moment we needed him the most!
-Abs, he didn't leave us. He couldn't stay anymore and if you want to blame someone for that it should be me, not him.
-I don't understand Tony. Noone should make him take such a decision if he didn't want to. You didn't force him to leave his job, his friends...
-Abs, you don't know the whole story but we had an argument, a bad one. I sadi things I didn't really mean...
-So he left us because he was mad at you? But he was always mad at you...
-I went too far this time and believe me I regret it deeply now. But nothing could have made him change his mind. I even said to him that I should be the one leaving but I think he needed to do it.
-What have you said to him, Tony? Gibbs is not the kind of man who could be afraid by tough situations at work.
-It was personnal Abby. Nothing to do with the job. It was not something he could have forgotten easily.
-You are not making any sense here Tony.

Tim felt that Tony was tensed. He didn't know what had happened between the two men. He had never understood what they shared but he had felt there was something strong: a mix of respect, tension and something he had not been able to decipher.
-Abby I think that what happened between Tony and Gibbs should stay between them. We must concentrate on what we have to do. Gibbs would have allowed us to waste time...
-You are right Tim. ... I'm sorry Tony. I don't know what happened and I have no right to judge you or what you did. I think I'm still a bit confused by the events of the last days.
-No problem, Abs. But I want you to know that if I could have made it easier I would have done it. I miss Kate, off course but loosing Gibbs like that is far worse that I thought it would be.
This simple declaration made the two friend realise that Tony was affected by Gibbs' departure as much as them. Tony had said it in a low and calm voice as if he had thought a lot about it. Tim guessed at that moment that what Tony had called private matter was really private. Tim couldn't guess what had made Gibbs leave but it seemed to have something to do with what Tony wanted to give him or not.

They finished eating in silence he headed back to the headquaters where Tim had prepared a report on Ari's last known activities. It was hard to explain but Tony knew Ari was still in the country. He had said that he had a contract on Gibbs' head and Tony thought that Kate's death had only been a bonus for him. A way to make Gibbs suffer before... he refused to think about what may happen. Gibbs was far away from here safe... at least for now.
Tim seemed to read his mind.

-Do you think Gibbs is in danger?
-I don't know Tim but I have a disturbing feeling since yesterday. He wanted us to think he had taken his revenge on Kate but she was not the one who put a bullet in his shoulder.
-Now It's between the two of them!? We should warn Gibbs.
-I think he is aware of the threat but we will talk to him as soon as we can. I think I'm gonna visit Fornell. He owes us a big one after what Gibbs had done for him.
-I'll check our usual canals to see if there is some news. Try not to shoot Fornell... Later maybe but he could be usefull for now.
-I will do my best.

Tony was still smiling at Tim's words when he reached his car. His Probie had learnt fast what being a member really meant and he knew that they would only rest the day that bastard would be either behind bars or dead. If he was given the choice he would prefer see him dead.

He was back at NCIS' offices two hours later. His trip to Fornell's repair had not been a waste of time. He had shaken him, threatened him but at the end he had learnt what he already felt. Ari was not working for AlQaeda on this job, he had decided to kill Gibbs on his own and Kate had been the step of his plan.
The man wanted Gibbs to suffer before killing him and Tony had understood that his argument with his boss had only been one of the reason why he had decided to leave Washington. He shared his feelings with Tim who seemed to be as worried as himself.

-So you think that Gibbs had left the town to protect us?
-I believe he thought of the possibility that Kate was not the only one Ari could kill.
-But nothing had changed. Even if Gibbs is at Norfolk now, the death of one of us would still touch him.
-Yeah but he won't be the one in charge of the team at that moment. If there's something Ari is good at, it's judging people. He knows how Gibbs felt about his team. Ari knew that Gibbs would blame himself for what might happen to one of us. Now it's different.
-Gibbs should have trusted us. Now he is alone and this crazy gun is probably after him.

Tony didn't reply anything as if he had just realised that maybe that was what Gibbs had been searching for. A face to face with Ari in which there would be only one winner and the loser would pay with his life.
-Tony, you should tell Morrow. Gibbs needs protection.
-You are right even if I'm sure he won't accept it.
-Maybe... but we can't let him play the role of teh bait without proper back up otherwise...
-That's what he wanted.
-You think he did that on purpose?
-I hope not but have you ever seen him do something without thinking of every possibilities before... I'm sure he had done the same thing as us and come to the same conclusions.
-And we let him go. We thought he was leaving us but that's us who left him alone.
-He didn't want us to be a part of this fight and he wouldn't have allow us to try something. But I intend on helping him the way I can even if I have to go to Norfolk myself to protect him.

Tim saw the truth in Tony's eyes but the main feeling visible was fear. His new boss was afraid for a friend. They were both interrupted when Morrow entered the room heading for Tony's desk.
-Agent Dinozzo, have you heard about Agent Gibbs' agenda for today?
-He was due at Norfolk this afternoon and he told me he intended to leave early. Itried to call him and noone answered at eight this morning.
-I don't know where he is but he missed his appointment with Director Laundry. He just called me to ask if Gibbs was used to this kind of behaviour.
-We last saw him yesterday after Agent Todd's burial.
-You two go to his house and check if he is here. I don't know how to explain it but I have this sensation that something is wrong. It's not like him and I can't help thinking Ari is still somewhere...
-Some informations told us the same thing and we suspect him to be searching for Gibbs.
-You talked to Fornell? He called me after your visit to share his suspicions. You must have really impressed him because it's the first time an FBI agent willingly shared intel with us.

Tony grinned at Morrow as he saw his director ironic smile.
-I only did as Gibbs taught me.
-I'm sure you were a quick learner. So go and find him. Call me to tellme you found him asleep or drunk in his basement.
-I'm sure he is safe.
-I hope so. I want to know what happened so we can organise the searches if we have to. I won't allow another of my men to be killed by this s.o.b...
Tony was taken aback by Morrow's curse. He didn't wait for him to leave before grabbing his gun and jacket.
-McGee you're with me.
But when he turned he realised that Tim was already on his heels. The man was also a fast learner.
They ran more than walked to the cr. Tony wasn't aware of speed limits nor red lights, the only thing that he could concentrate on was that Gibbs was missing.
Chapter End Notes:
I haven't finished this story but I've already some chapters done!
It's a new sad part!!

Special thanks to rednetra for sharing your thouhgts with me!