- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony and Tim are searching for Gibbs
Chapter 7. (1/2)
Finding Gibbs.

Tony parked the car in front of Gibbs' house and opened the door imediately searching for evidences that his former boss was still at home. He had never wished than today to find Gibbs in his basement, sleeping drunk near his boat.

It was the only reason Gibbs would have missed his appointment... at least the only one Tony wanted to think about. But he knew too well that Gibbs would never have done such mistake, especially when expected for a new job..
But God knows he would have prefered that instead of what was running through his restless mind at that precise moment. He was so afraid of what they were about to find inside the house that he was almost unable to walk.

McGee seemed to be hesitating too as he exited the car.
-His car is not here.
-Is it a good or a bad sign, Tim?
-I don't know but maybe he was late and only left a moment ago...?
-I hope so, Tim... But it is the friend speaking and not the federal Agent...
-And what do the NCIS agent feel about it?

Tony looked at the man at his side. He knew that McGee was thinking about the same thing and that he needed to know they were on the same page.
-Have you ever headr of Gibbs being late or him missing an appointment?
-No, but he was pretty shaken when he left Ducky's house yesterday.
-Well, we were all but no matter what Gibbs would never have missed this meeting although...
-What?
-Although he had never planed to go...

McGee gave him a puzzled look.
-I'm not sure to understand...
Tony remained silent for a moment. He knew that McGee would understand it himself...Besides he couldn't say what he was thinking about out loud.
-You can't think of what I think you are thinking...
If the situation would not hav been so tragic Tony would have laughed at McGee's speech but he could only manage a small grin.

-Gibbs is the kind of man who plan everything. If he missed the meeting with Laundry... it was either willingly or...
-Someone prevented him from going there... Hell, I don't like any of these options....
-Exactly what I was thinking...
-We have more chances to find him if someone abducted him... If he had decided to hide from us there would be no way we'd find him.
-True but if Ari is behind it... I prefer not thinking about what he would do to him.

As they reached the front door they realised that something was really wrong. The door was open. Even if Gibbs was used to letting it unlocked, this was not normal. They reached for their gun at the same time.
Tony entered first searching for Gibbs in all the rooms while McGee was inspecting the basement.

There was no sign of fiht but Tony's blood froze when he heard McGee calling him from downstairs.
-Tony, come here.
Pictures melted with recent memories were running through his mind. He could almost see Gibbs on the floor of his basement, a round hole on his forehead like Kate only hours ago.

How could he have let it happen?

He had let him go, let him think he had lost his respect, his friendship. He stayed a while frozen in the kitchen, wondering if he would be able to calm down enough to go and see what McGee had found.
He finaaly heard McGee's footsteps, realising he had closed his eyes. The younger agent was in front of him and Tony could read the concern on his face.

-Are you okay, Tony?
-I think I'm a bit stressed... What have you found?
-It's the chaos down there. There is wood everywhere as if someone had decided to destroy everything. His boat is in tiny pieces.
-God, Gibbs would never have done it. He had spent hours on this boat. Anything else?
-There is blood on the floor but I couldn't go inside. We would have to clear the way, to really have a look. Any signs here?

Tony rubbed his eyes trying not to think that maybe it was Gibbs' blood.
-No, if someone attacked him the only evidences arein the basement. Call a team and tell them to hurry. We have to check everything. From now on, Gibbs is considered missing.

Tim looked at his new boss impressed by his self control. But for someone who was able to see further, it was obvious that Tony was worried for his friend. The right word was certainly closer to anxious. They were both aware that they had a job to do and that they would have to do it fast if they wanted to find Gibbs safe.

McGee took his cell and called for a team to be sent here ASAP. Tony called the local authorities, relieved to hear that they hadn't been any car crash nor any body found in the last ten hours. It must have been a record for Washington.
As the words came to his mind he could almost imagine Gibbs slapping him at the back of his head if he had said it out loud.

-I called for a team. They'll be there in ten.
-Fine. Washington P.D is searching for his car. I told tehm to do nothing if they find the car and call us.
-What did you tell them?
-I said that we probably had an agent abducted by an AlQaeda terrorist. And that the guy had already killed one of us...

They were interrupted by a knock atthe front door. They both turned to see Ducky coming in.
-Where is he, Anthony? Don't tell me he is...
-We didn't find him yet Ducky. His car is not here but there is no evidence he had been attacked except...
-What, Anthony?

The tension was obvious in the ME's voice and even if Tony didn't want him to worry he owed him the truth.
-His boat had been destroyed but we don't know if he did it himself or if someone else did.
-You know as well as I do how precious this stupid boat was to him. He would never have destroyed it himself.
-That's exactly what I thought but we must keep in mind that the events of the last days had hit him pretty hard.
-You are not thinking that he should have given up on his life and tried to make a clea break?
-You tell me. You know him better than I do. What do you think? Would he be able to...?
-To do something stupid? Two days ago I would have said No without even hesitating. But after what happened yesterday... I'm not so sure anymore.

Tony sat heavily on the couch showing for the firt time the extend of his doubts and pain.
-Even if it's not comforting, Idon't think that Gibbs would be the kind of man who could attend to his life even when he is down.

Tony slowly registered McGee's words trying to convince himself he was right but Kate was dead and if Gibbs had been abducted by Ari, he coudn't be sure they would be able to find him soon enough.
He was worried and begining to wonder what he would do if Gibbs died. At that thought he felt dizzy, he was unable to even consider the possibility. He didn't want to think about it because it was simply unbearable for him.

He was waiting for the scientists praying that the blood wouldn't match Gibbs'...
Praying that the man he ha rejected was still alive somewhere and that he would find him soon.
He needed to talk to him, he needed to see him again, to hear him once more.
Tim sat beside him and they shared an heavy and meaningful silence.

The scientist team was at work in Gibbs' basement searching for evidences ... Something that could explain Gibbs' disappearance. Tony was everywhere at the same time: on the phone with search teams, on scientist's heels making them work faster...

McGee was examining Gibbs' paper and boxes left in the room. At the same time he was looking at his new boss. He didn't want him to over react. Kate's death had hit him pretty hard and he had witneesed the fight between him and Gibbs. He had seen Tony's anger and he was now wondering what else had happened between them...
What had made Gibbs feel the need to leave his job, the town where he had lived for years. Tim was now sure that it had something to do with his new boss.

Looking at Tony now he could see that the man was under a lot of pressure but he was showing an impatience that was not his usual way of investigating with a new case.Even if he knew that this case was much more for him, Tony was well aware they had to consider it that way to be really efficient. Tony was letting his feelings guide him, he was pacing, yelling. Tim walked to him.

-Tony, What's wrong?
-They can't tell me if it's Gibbs' blood down there. And their for that is that their computer had shut down. They can't check their files. We can't afford such a wate of time... It may only be a question of hours before Ari decide to kill him....
-Tony we are all aware that we have to hirry. What about Gibbs' computer? I could use it to have aconnection with NCIS and ask Abby to send Gibbs' file...

Tony sighed realizing he'd better be the boss he was supposed to be instead of yelling at everyone.
-You do that, Tim. But don't say to Abby why you need it.
-She has the right to know. She is a part of the team too.
-I know that but don't tell her until we are sure there is nothing to worry about.
Tim frowned but Tony was the boss so he would do as asked.

Tony looked at the room and saw that everyone was at work, trying to find something which could lead them to Gibbs. He knew that Tim had been right about Abby but he didn't want her to worry.
Nobody had heard Ducky enter the room. Tony felt a hand on his arm and turned to see the worry look teh ME was giving him.

-What happened, Anthony?
-We don't know, for now,Ducky. Gibbs is not here...
-But...?
-But... his boat had been destroyed and we've found some blood on the floor of the basement. There is no evidence that it could be Gibbs' blood or that someone else had been there.
-Do you really think that Gibbs could have done that? This boat was his baby. And if it's not his blood.... Who else?
-I don't know Ducky but for now I don't want to think the worst might have happened here. I need to believe he is still alive and that we will find him.
-Even if you are his friend you are also and first an NCIS agent, Anthony... And Gibbs needs you to be that agent.
-I don't think I would be able to go on if he dies because of me... I had not been a friend for him when he needed me the most and I would never forgive myself if something happened to him...
-Jethro wanted you for the job because he knew that you would be the best to do it. If someone can find him it's you, my friend. You need to be as confident in your abilities than Jethro when he recommanded you for the job.
-Where do we begin?
-Can I have a lot at what you found in the basement?
-Sure, they've jsut finished searching it.

They both walked to the stairs and found McGee working on a computer, speaking with someone.
-Hi, Timothy.
-Ducky.
-What have you found?
-Abby's just sent me the results of her analysis on the blood found on the floor.
-I told you to be discreet, Tim.
Tony heard an angry voice coming from the computer.
-Did you really think I couldn't figure out by myself whose blood it could be or why you wanted Gibbs' file?
-I didn't want you to worry, Abs.
-Never do that again, Tony. I'm a member of this team too and I don't need to be protected. Is that clear?
-Crystal, Abs. Won't do that again. I promise... So?
-The blood could be Gibbs'. I would need more time to be sure. I wish I had better news. Sorry Tony.
-Not your fault, Abby.
Abby didn't reply immediately. The young woman seemed to hesitate and they could hear her take a deep breath before speaking.
-Tony, tell me you are going to find him... tell me he is fine...

Tony could hear the words she was not saying out loud.
-I wish I could promise you that, Abs. The only thing I can promise is that I won't rest until I've found him.
-Thanks, Tony.
-I call you as soon as we have something new.
McGee hit the button and shut down the connection. Then he turned to look expectingly at his new boss. He knew that Tony had no more answers than him but he still needed him to take the lead, to show them the way... and maybe give them hope.
-What do we do now, Tony? We can't just wait here?
-Of course not, Tim. I want you to knock at every doors and see if someone had seen or heard something unusual.
-Sure, Tony.

Ducky could sense the tension in Tony's voice and placed a gentle hand on his friend's arm.
-I don't think that Jethro could have driven his car himself. He was exhausted the last time we saw him and with the blood loss...
-So if someone dragged him to his car, the neighboors could have seen something.
Tony looked at McGee who hadn't moved.
-McGee you need me to send you an invitation or are you going to interview the neighboors?
-On it, Boss.
He had said it out of reflex but he saw that Tony had tensed at the words he had so often heard or said himself.
-Sorry, Tony. But you know, old habits die hard. And you sounded so like him...
Tony couldn't help smiling at McGee's babbling. He was used to doing it a lot when Gibbs was putting more pressure on him.
-No need to apologize, Tim. Just get the job done.
McGee didn't wait and ran upstairs, Tony and Ducky on his heels. Ducky caught Tony's arms.
-What now, Anthony?
-I don't know, Ducky.
Tony knew that he could be honest with the older man.
-I can't help feeling that something had gone really wrong.
-I'm worried too.

They were interrupted my Tony's cell. Ducky could see the younger man's face grew white.
-What?... Where?...Don't touch anything. We'll be there in five minutes.
Tony hung up trying not to run to his car.
-What happened, Tony?
Tony turned to face the ME realizing that it was the first he had heard him call him Tony. He was not it was a good sign.
-They've found Gibbs'car, abandonned on a small road, in the middle of nowhere.
-Is he...?
-No, the cops said there was noone inside the car.
-I'm coming with you.
-Sure, Ducky. We may need medical assistance...Could you try to find McGee and join me in the car?
Ducky didn't ask any more questions even if he was aware that Tony was hiding something from him. Five minutes later they were driving to the place where the car had been found. Ducky noticed that they were not driving in the direction Gibbs would have taken if he had wanted to go to his appointment. McGee seemed pretty nervous on the passenger seat.

-What did the cops tell you, Tony?
-I didn't have time to ask for a complete report, Tim!
-That's not what Timothy was asking. But I think there is something you refuse to tell us.
-Ok, the cops told me that they had found the car locked, empty except...
Tony hesitated, partly because he didn't want to alarm his friends, partly because saying it out loud would have made it more real. He sighed, trying to find enough strength to go on. He felt Ducky's hand on his shoulder.
-We need to know, Anthony. Jethro is our friend.
-I know, ducky but I think I secretely wished they were wrong.
-There was something wrong about the car?
-They found more blood on the window...
-Did they search the area?
-Not yet. I asked them to wait for us before doing anything. I didn't want them to ruin our chances to find Gibbs.
The three of them stayed silent for the remaining of the travel, trying to keep hope.

As soon as they arrived, they discovered Gibbs' car surrounded by cops, dogs. Tony ran to them.
-Agent Dinozzo ? We found it there. Noone touched it as you asked. We tried to open it at first but it's locked.
-Thanks, we'll take it from here.
-Sure. If you need anything...
Tony nodded gratefully. He walked to the car, looking through the window on the passenger side he could see traces of blood.
-McGee! Open that damn car!
Tony took his cell to call the search team, looking at the woods around...
-Where are you, Jethro? Don't you dare die like that, not now...
-Anthony? Are you fine?
-I'm not really sure, Ducky. He must be here somewhere, probably hurt and i don't know where to begin.

-I think I've found something!
Tony and Ducky both joined McGee behind the car.
-What have you, Tim?
-Footprints...!
-How many...?
-One person I think but it's hard to say.
-What direction, Tim?
-Down there.
McGee was pointing to the wood.
-So that's where we are going to begin our search. Tim grab your gear.
-You don't wait for the search team? They would be able to trace him?
Tony walked to McGee facing him.
-Tim, Gibbs is somewhere out there, maybe injured, Ari on his heels...
-Ok, you made your point. Let's go find our boss.
Tony smiled sadly at his friends.
-We are going to follow the traces as long as we can. Ducky you should stay here and wait for the team I called. Could you give us a case with what we could need to help him if...
-Sure, Anthony. What do I tell the team when they arrive?
-Tell them that we are searching for an injured man probably hunted by a terrorist armed and dangerous.
Ducky nodded and looked at the two men while they ran into the forest.
-Bring him back, Anthony...

Tony and McGee walked from five minutes following Gibbs' traces. Tony was worried as they found more blood.
-Tony there is more blood as if he had slowed down.
-You must be right... I think he is weakening...
McGee stopped abruptly.
-Tony,down there!

Tony looked in the direction McGee was indicating. That's when he saw him lying on the ground. He tried not to fall while running to him. He surprised himself praying. He had not prayed for years but today was the day to ask for a little help.
He knelt at Gibbs' side, taking the older man in his arms. He tried not to cry at the sight of what Ari had done to him. Tony didn't hear McGee kneeling next to him. All his senses were concentrated on the man in his arms...