- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony finally discovers who Kelly is and what happened to her...
Chapter 3.
Kelly Ann Gibbs.

Tony had finished writing his last report an hour later and he was begining to think about what Sean would find. He could only hope that it was not what he thought. But as he remembered some events he had witnessed, it could only be explained one way. A way he feared to explore as it implied that Gibbs, the one he loved, had gone through the worst.

But he had seen him acted with the kids they had met during some cases. He had seen the way he talked with them, always considering what they had to tell, thinking of them as real persons.
Off course it didn't mean that he had had a child himself but how could he have known how to deal with them otherwise... It was not something natural for a man like him to be able to be so close, to know so well what a child needed...

Tony tried to think about it for a moment but he realised that he needed someone to talk to, someone to share his thoughts with.... And he knew the perfect one for that. He stood up and headed for Ducky's lab.

As he entered the bright room he saw his friend at his desk reading a book.
-You seem to be busy today, Ducky!
-Anthony! I didn't hear you coming in. I was reading this wonderful book "The three musketeers".
-Isn't it a children book?
-Not at all, my dear friend, Alexandre Dumas described in that book how life in Paris during the 17th century was like. It's quite instructive.
-Sure, Ducky.
The ME saw the doubtfull look his friend gave him.
-You may like it. There are a lot of single combats with swords, plots and beautiful women...They even made some movies inspired by this book...

Tony smiled at him. Ducky knew him well enough to know that he loved reading a good book even if he prefered a good old movie...
-I think that you did come down there to talk about litterature? Did you have some news about Jethro?
-Not really but I talked to Abby and she had heard about Kelly a few years ago.
-Who is she?
-I think that Kelly was Gibbs' daughter. Abby had heard a conversation between Gibbs and his first wife and she had told him he had been the one responsible for her death...
-God... You think that they had a daughter and that she is dead?

Tony didn't answer, he could see that Ducky was thinking about he had said. The ME sat down still lost in his thoughts.
-It could explain many things.
-I think so, Ducky. But if it's true the last case must hve been hard for him. I've seen how he looked at this kid and his father... He seemed so sad but I couldn't at that moment understand why...
-Yeah! What do you intend to do now?
-I have to find him, Duck. If a part of this is true, he would need help from a friend.
-A friend?
-Sure, what else do you think he would need?
-Do I need to answer this question? I may be old but I'm not blind. I can tell that he means more than that for you...
-Are you sure you didn't talk to Abby lately?
-No, I didn't but we are your friends and we have eyes to see how the two of you act.
-I know Ducky but I didn't think I was so obvious...
-It's not only you, Anthony. Gibbs cares a lot about you and no matter what you think about him :he didn't act like that with everyone.
-Maybe, Ducky but for now he needs someone to tell him he is not alone. Someone who cares.
-You are right, Anthony. I only wanted to say that you would be the best for this job. Even if it would be difficult to make him accept your help.
-I know but I have to do it.

Tony took a chair in front of Ducky.
-I called an old friend who could find out about what happened to her.
Ducky frowned and Tony understood what the older man was thinking about.
-I know Ducky. He would probably kill me if he learnt that I investigated his past but there is no other way to know where and why he had left...
-Do you think he would be able to find something.
-If someone can Sean would be this one.

Ducky sighed. He didn't know if it was a good idea to search for informations behind Gibbs' back but had they other choices? He knew that Gibbs would never ask for help even if he obviously needed it. He had never seen him flee in front of difficulties before and it must have become unbearable for him to come to this end.

They were interrupted by the ring of Ducky's cell. As he looked down at his phone he was surprised to see that the call came from Gibbs. He showed the number to Tony before picking up.

Tony waited anxiously for the conversation to end. He was glad that Gibbs had called even if he would have wished to be the one he had called. Ducky didn't need him to insist on what question he had to ask him.

As the older man hung up Tony looked expectingly at him waiting for some news. He was worried to see Ducky's eyes. The ME seemed to be disturbed by the conversation he had just had with his oldest friend. Tony could wait for him to talk.

-What did he say, Ducky? Where is he?....
-He didn't tell anything useful for us but I can say that he is not fine at all, Anthony.
-Tell me exactly what he said!
-He said that he needed some down time to think about what he had to do.
-About what?
-That's what afraid me the most. When I asked him what he was talking about, he only answered that he needed to find out if it was still worth it.
-What??? It doesn't make sense at all!!
-Maybe not for us but ... it's Gibbs we are talking about. Did you ever heard him say something that was not meaningful in a way or another.
-The question is... What is he telling us? He didn't call you only to tell you nothing?
-I know, Anthony but I can't find out whathe had meant.

The two men stayed silent for long minutes without being able to find out what their friend had intended to tell. Tony stood up suddenly. He needed to do something. He had this strange feeling that he didn't have time to think and that he had to act quickly and find him before... What... he didn't know...but this urgent need to see by himself that Gibbs was safe.

-I'll call Sean to see if he had found something.
He took his cell and dialed for the second time the number of his friend.
-Hi, Sean. I know you told me you would call me back but I need these informations now!
-Tony! I understood when you called that it must be urgent so I made some calls and I was about to call you back.

Tony was worried to hear the tensed voice of his friend. He had heard this kind of tone before and it had never been a good sign.

-What's up, Sean?
-It's a sad story, Tony. Do you have a mail box safe enough so that I can send you the file.
-A file of what?
-Give me your adress first and then I will tell you what I know.
Tony gave him the address Ducky used on his computer.
-Okay, now tell me what you had learnt.
-You will have to read the file to know more but what my friend told me was that fifteen years ago, a young girl had been killed and his father badly hurt as they were fishing in a lake near Portland. It seems that someone shot both of them. I don't know the details but the man who fired was some kind of expert...

Hearing his friend Tony grew paler and sat back on the chair trying to process what his friend was telling him.
-Tony? Are you okay?
He needed a moment to realise that Sean was asking him a question.
-Yeah, Sure. What else?
-Well, the girl died instantly... a shot right through the head. The man had been luckier, if you can consider seeing your daughter die and survive your own child a chance. He stayed at the hospital for over two months.
-Did they catch the guy?
-No, but they found five months after a man dead near the same lake, shot the same way...When you know that the father had been a Marine snipper you can put pieces together.

Tony couldn't reply anything. Sean was right. Pieces were begining to take place but he was not sure he liked the picture that they were drawing. Tony looked at Ducky who was staring at the screen of his computer. The older was visibly disturbed by what he was reading on it.

-Thanks, Sean.
-I wish I could have given you some good news but this case had been awful. I talked to the cop who investigated and he told me that the mother had been unable to talk to him even five months later. But what had shocked him the most was the father. The man didn't show any emotion but he could tell that he was boiling inside. He was sure that he had killed the man found near that lake but he could proove it and didn't want to...
-Is there anything else in the file you just sent?
-You would find where it had happened exactly! May I ask you a question?
-Yes, sean. I know this man... the father I mean.
-I guessed. Tell me if you need anything. Killian, the cop in Portland, told me that Gibbs was a good man and he couldn't blame him for what he had done.
-Thanks again, Sean. Bye.
-Bye, Tony.

Tony turned to look at Ducky who hadn't moved. They didn't need to talk to know what the other was thinking. Tony had feared that he was about to discover a dark secret but what he had learnt today had been worse than anything he could have imagined.

He knew now why Gibbs had left. The last case had not been the only reason. Kate's death on that roof must have been the first wound. Then seing this kid with his father... Oh! God! If only he had known... He could have helped him.

Now Gibbs was alone somewhere, " trying to find out if it still worthed it". He could
understand now what Gibbs had meant and he was scared not to be able to find him before he came to the conclusion that he had nothing left...
He had to read the file and find where Gibbs was. He stood up but he realised that his head was spining and he sat back on his chair hiding his head in his hands.

Ducky placed a hand on his shoulder.
-We will find, Anthony. You will help going through it and give him a reason to fight.
-Will it be enough, Ducky. I can't imagine what it had been like for him to see his child die. And years later, Kate on that roof... I should have understood that something was wrong.
-You couldn't know and he didn't allow any of us to see how much it had affected him.
-Yeah, as always he kept everything inside and now he left us and I can't help being afraid that he may never come back to me...That he would never know that I love him...He was on the edge and I didn't see anything, Ducky!
-None of us did! I'm scared too Anthony. But we have to keep hope. He phoned me and I realise now that he needed to hear one of us. And I think it's a good sign, a sign that he may be searching for help.
-I hope so, Ducky...

They stayed for long minutes still thinking about their friend, trying to convince themselves that it was not too late to help him.
Chapter End Notes:
This part is sad and may disturb some of you.Sorry to put Gibbs through the worst but I promise Tony would be here to confort him soon!