- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This time Tony's gone too far ...

It's time for him to try and set things right ...
Thursday … the day before Abby's big party. Abby had been running around everywhere with excitement. She's changed the party though. They were now going to a private room in a restaurant. It had a eating area and a dance floor. She'd even hired a few bands to play.
Abby was still trying to get Gibbs to go. Even Ducky and Jimmy had agreed to come to her party.
There was still no case, so Abby had a lot of spare time. Quite recently (A few weeks ago) NCIS had a new director and agent. Ziva had been away for the week. But she was back now, so Jimmy asked her to join him because Abby hadn't invited her. Jenny wasn't invited either because Abby didn't like her very much.





Gibbs just came out of MTAC and bumped into Abby.
‘Abby!' He yelled. The whole office turned to look at him. ‘Would you please stop stalking me!' He ignored the people watching.
‘So will you please come to my big party?' She begged for the millionth time.
‘No' He said for the billionth time.
‘Aw come on Gibbs … please?'
‘Abby!' He yelled.
‘You could bring Jenny' She smiled.
‘If I don't say yes … is there any chance of you leaving me alone?'
‘Um ……………… nope' She said.
‘Then fine … I'll go' Gibbs sighed.
‘You promise' Abby said and pointed at him.
‘Fine … I promise I'll be there' Gibbs gave up.
‘YAY!!!!!' Abby screamed and ran down the stairs to give McGee a big hug. McGee had even considered hiding when she ran over but she was too fast.
Gibbs went back into MTAC to ask Jenny to join him at the party so he doesn't suffer from high blood pressure.





I bet you're going to take Mr so perfect lawyer guy to the party?' Tony asked Cate.
‘No' Cate said.
‘Why not? Don't want to embarrass him by getting him to meet me? Or is he too good for an office party? Are you and him planning to go on a luxurious sea cruise on the week end? Snuggle up in bed or make love?' Tony said loudly. Abby and McGee turned to look at him in surprise.
Cate bowed her head and didn't say anything.
‘It's not a office party' Abby grumbled quietly.
‘It's not like that Tony' Cate whispered after a moment of silence.
‘Okay … what is it like then? A day on the beach? Movies? Fancy restaurant? I bet he's best guy you'd ever met? So smart … handsome … trustworthy … did I miss anything?' He asked, still in a loud tone.
Gibbs and Jenny came out of MTAC and heard what Tony said.
Gibbs looked at Cate. She was grabbing her stuff.
Cate ran out of the office without a word.
Abby went over to Tony and slapped him hard in the face.
‘OUCH!' He yelped.
‘Earns you right!' She yelled at him. Gibbs grinned a little. Abby will be Abby.
‘What? It's true!' Tony said as he ducked her punch.
‘Oh yeah? Well then how do you explain the fact that she dumped Richard a few days ago because she felt bad over what you said!' Abby yelled and slapped him again.
‘OUCH! What do you mean? Why would she do that?'
‘Because she thought she'd hurt your feelings' Abby said.
She was about to hit him again when she saw pain in his eyes as he looked towards the elevator that Cate had left in.
‘I … I didn't know' He whispered and looked angry with himself. ‘Now she probably hates me' He said sadly.
‘Maybe so … but are you really going to give up on her?' Abby asked, now feeling sorry for him.
‘I'd never give up on her Abby … but I'm sure she'll give up on someone as useless as me'
‘If that's true … why would she be upset Tony?' Abby asked.
Tony looked at the elevator again. The party was tomorrow night … it was time for him to put things right with Cate … even if he had to be a complete fool by doing so …





Later …


It's now dark and it was raining like hell outside … perfect weather to fit her mood. Cate sat on her bed and started crying again. She was acting like a high school girl with a crush, but she couldn't help it. Tony's words had really hurt her.






Tony got out of his car and walked up to the building. A man was just leaving the building.
‘Sir?' Tony asked, before the man could go any further.
‘What are you doing out here in the rain young man?' The guy asked him.
‘I need to talk to Cate' He said.
‘Oh … you mean the poor lady who ran in here crying her eyes out? I don't think she wants company right now'
Tony felt guilty all over again.
‘But if it's urgent … I could call her down' the man saw the look of guilt on Tony's face.
‘No … I just want to know if I'm allowed to see her … I don't want to visit her if she wants me to leave her alone' Tony said … totally soaked.
‘I'll give her a call' the man went back into the building and called Cate's apartment (the man works there).

Cate heard her phone ring. She considered not answering but it wouldn't stop.
‘What?' She asked.
‘There's a wet young man down here asking if he could visit you … would that be okay?'
Cate knew whom he was talking about. She went to her window and looked outside. Fair enough … there was Tony, completely wet. He could've taken shelter but he didn't. He was just waiting for her answer on the phone.
‘Fine … he couldn't possibly say anything worst' she sighed and hung up.






‘Okay … she has let you … I take it that you're the cause of her pain? Go make it right lad … while you're still young' the man patted him on the back and went out into the rain with an umbrella.
Tony nodded and ran to her apartment.
‘HEY! No running in the hallway!' Yelled one of the cleaners.
‘Sorry' He said and walked fast.
‘I'm watching you' the cleaner growled as he went to clean Tony's wet footprints off the carpet.
Tony knocked on Cate's door and waited. This is it, he thought.
Cate opened the door. ‘What do you want?' She whispered. Tony felt bad again. Her face showed obvious signs of crying and her hair was a little messed up. She'd taken his words to heart.
‘Can I come in?' He asked and looked at the floor. He considered running away like always did, but he had to make this right.
Cate moved out of the doorway. Tony took of his coat and shoes so he didn't get water everywhere. Now his hair and face were all that were wet. Cate got a towel from the bathroom and threw it at him.
‘Thanks' He mumbled and wiped his hair and face. Cate took it back off him and pointed to the couch. He obeyed. They sat down and Tony took a deep breath.
‘Cate … Iamreallysorryaboutbeforeandi …'
‘Tony … slow down … start again' She said.
‘I'm sorry … I didn't mean to say the things I did … I didn't know that you'd broken up with him … Abby said you did because you thought you'd upset me … is that true?'
‘Yes … it is true' She sighed. And now he will want to know why, Cate thought.
‘Okay' He said and looked at the floor, still feeling guilty about everything.
‘You don't want to know why?' Cate asked.
‘If you want me to know … you'll say so … I'm not going to make you answer' he said and started feeling nervous … he was going to tell her … but didn't know how to.
‘Thanks Tony … but really, if you want to know …'
‘I do … but that's actually not why I came' He said, growing more nervous by the minute.
‘Then what?' Cate asked. What else could he have to say? She wondered.
‘We've known one another for just over a year now … and for all this time … I thought of you nearly everyday. I don't think I've ever told you just how much you mean to me. I act like a real jerk … but really … I think highly of you Cate … you're smart, pretty, strong and caring … I know that you're too good for me … but I just thought that you should know that I care a lot abut you and can't imagine living without you' He said and considered running for the door to make an escape before she laughed at him.
Cate was speechless. She didn't know what to say. All those smartass jokes … teasing … they were all a cover up for how he really felt? Cate couldn't believe it … didn't believe it.
‘How can you be sure that this is really how you feel Tony? … I mean after countless other women … how do you know this time is different?' She asked.
‘Um … about that … most of those women were just me trying to distract myself from how I'll never be able to be with you … or I was trying to get my mind of how happy you were will another guy' Tony really wanted to just run and never turn back … but Cate wouldn't have let him until she got answers. He owed her answers … so he stayed.
‘You mean like Richard?' Cate asked.
‘Among many others' Tony sighed.
‘But why do you have a big problem with Richard? I mean I've dated other lawyers before'
‘I had finally decide that I just couldn't take it anymore and have to tell you the truth … then Mr so per … I mean Richard … came along and you loved him … I didn't want to wreck it for you … but I didn't know how much longer I could keep it all inside' Tony had been looking at the floor the whole time, refusing to look at Cate, knowing that if he did … he wouldn't be able to say anything else.
‘Tony … I broke up with Richard because I saw how hard you were taking it … I felt guilty … I'm glad you've told me … it all makes sense now' Cate said.
Tony nodded. ‘I was also wondering … now that Richard is out of the picture … um … well I was wondering if you'd like to be my date for tomorrow night?' Tony asked and looked up to see her eyes.
‘Maybe … I'll tell you tomorrow … I need to think about it' Cate said softly. She knew that Tony wanted to know her feelings … but she didn't want to say. She was still in a little shock and disbelief.
‘Okay … I'll ah … I'll just go' Tony mumbled, feeling rejected.
‘Um … okay Tony' Cate gave him a hug. ‘Thanks for telling me the truth' She smiled. Tony loved that smiled. After all that has happened and the fact that she'd smiled at the end of it all … made it feel all the more worth it.
Tony put his shoes and coat back on while Cate opened the door for him.
‘Bye' He said and leaned forward. He kissed her on the cheek and left in a hurry. Cate raised her hand to the spot where he'd kissed her. She smiled and made her decision.
He was too good to live without … she just hoped that following her heart was worth it because her heart didn't understand the risks the same way that her brain did.
‘Tony wait!' she called out and ran after him. Tony heard her and turned back around.
‘What is it?' He asked.
‘Please … I don't want you to go yet … I would love to be your date for tomorrow night' She smiled.
Now it was Tony's turn to be speechless.
‘You do? Oh …' Tony looked at the floor.
‘What's wrong?' Cate asked in worry.
‘Are you sure?' He asked. ‘Don't you want to be with someone better? I'll probably only embarrass you Cate'
‘To me Tony … there's no one I'd rather be with than you' Cate smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. She looked into his eyes and smiled.
‘That's the way to go!' Said the man that Tony had spoken to earlier.
Tony smiled a little and kissed Cate's forehead.
‘Come on … you need some food' She said and led him back to her apartment.
Tony held her hand as he followed her. At this point … Cate didn't care what her brain thought … she knew what her heart wanted and it was fine with her.





Tony stayed for dinner then headed back home. He didn't want anything to happen yet. No kissing or cuddling etc. He wanted his first kiss with Cate to be tomorrow night's treat.
All he had to do now was to find the finest suit and flowers for the evening … not to mention some form of protection from Gibbs when he finds out. Tony was sure Gibbs wouldn't mind … but he would probably want to kill them at first, but he will eventually get over it and be more accepting. Tony just hoped that he and Cate still had their jobs when that moment came …
Chapter End Notes:
I couldn't be bothered with chapters so i turned it into parts. Longer than chapter :)