- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The team prepares the mission
Abby stopped pacing immidiatly and turned towards the elevator. Tony's face was calm, it had changed a bit since he had left the lab. But Gibbs‘ face made her shiver. Even after he had calmed down a lot he still had anger, maybe even hatred in his eyes.

„You have to go under cover, right?"

She asked Tony and he only nodded. He put his hand on Gibbs‘ back. They had decided to let Palmer know and they had nothing to hide down here.

„We will do everything to keep you safe, Tony!"

Abby said and McGee and Ziva agreed.

„Thanks guys."

He smiled a bit but it seemed to be too much effort. He had to keep his temper and his fear. Even if it only was for Gibbs. Maybe he would have the chance to let his well practiced guard down later but right now he had to be strong.

„I would like to talk about that implanted GPS chip I suggested before..."

Ducky started but Tony held up a hand to stop him.

„You won't cut me up!"

„Tony, it's really something we should consider! This guy knows how to hide his traces!"

Gibbs said and normally Tony would answer that tone with „Sure, boss." but nothing in the last week was normal and so was his answer.

„I was born with everything I need inside my body! I don't need that chip."

Both men glared at eachother. All others stood around and nobody, not even Ducky dared to intervene. They never talked in between when the big boss was talking to Tony but now, well, everything was a bit different now.

Finally Gibbs gave in. McGee and Abby immidiatly started to bring up everything what's technical possible and in their budget. Ziva and Tony made a timetable where and when Tony went so they would be able to give him a pretty unsuspicious backup.

Gibbs watched his team for a while. First he had planned to help Tony and Ziva but the trained spy and the under cover expert nearly did better without him. Knowing he couldn't help his geeks he went to Ducky.

„I know it must be difficult to let him go, Jethro."

„You have no idea!"

Gibbs ran his hand through his hair. He felt useless and he really hated that feeling.

„He'll do fine, Jethro. He's a good Agent."

Gibbs slowly shook his head.

„You can't understand that. He had done it before."

Ducky looked confused at his friends. He was sure Gibbs wasn't talking about going under cover in generell.

„In Baltimore they had litterly the same. I guess it's a free-rider, I don't know but anyway Tony went under cover and was captured. It was sheer luck that he survived. I'm afraid he could suffer from flashbacks. I mean what if a similiar situation, anything what reminds him on it, happens, it could throw him completely out of line. I'm not sure he could handle something like that again."

Ducky petted his friend on the shoulder.

„It's a direct order and you did your best to keep it from him. There's nothing he can do against it but leave. And I assume you don't want that either."

Gibbs sighed. Of course he didn't want that. He didn't like either of their options. And he really didn't knew what to do. But in the end it was Tony's decision. If he thought he couldn't do it he should have told Madame Director the truth.

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to Eve.
No at the moment there isn't more...