- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
DiNozzo solves a mystery the old-fashioned way.
Chapter XI: The Chase

The police were rounding up all the occupants of the warehouse, trying to determine which were legitimate and which might be among the group of traitors. DiNozzo was doing his best to assist, but he was both distracted and distraught. McGee had delivered his package into custody and come into the warehouse to help however he could. Delbart was deep in a web of communications, trying to sort out what was relevant and what was not, along with who was who.

No one was aware that, even before the shooting began, the Israeli agent named Avram and another man had gone to a restroom in one corner of the warehouse where they had locked in the frightened Professor Bennett. They took her out without being noticed in the rush of activity that had begun when the researchers had realized their facility was being invaded and had tried to stop the thieves. Avram and his companions slipped quietly through a side door, where a powerful car was waiting. Avram had taken the precaution of earlier unlocking the back gate of the compound. The car left the compound, again without being noticed.

Or so Avram thought.

About half a block away from the back gate, a young rookie cop sat in his unit, watching, having been assigned to that very task. He noticed the car pulling away. He thought it was odd, and for a moment he fought a war in his head. On the one hand, he had orders to stay in position and move only when ordered. On the other hand, his superiors had often mentioned that good police work sometimes had to be done outside the box. He made his decision.

As the mystery car pulled away, he started the engine on his unit and began following. He tried to report what he was doing, but at the moment there were no channels clear. Finally, there was a response to his call.

"Delbart here."

"Uh, sir, this is Officer Robins in unit number 535. Um, I was outside the back gate when I saw a car leaving, and I wanted to let you know I decided to tail it."

Delbart was silent for a moment, digesting the young officer's report.

"Did you get a plate?"

"No, sir," the rookie replied. "I don't want to get too close."

"Wait just a minute. I'll get you some further orders if you'll just hang on."

The officer waited, listening to the noise coming from the walkie-talkie in the warehouse. Several times he heard Delbart asking, "Where's DiNozzo?"

Eventually Delbart must have found whom he was seeking. Robins heard him conversing with another man. Then the walkie-talkie spoke to Robins again.

"Officer Robins, this is NCIS Special Agent Tony DiNozzo. Did you happen to see who's in that car you're tailing?"

"Well, sir," Robins answered, "I did notice three people coming down the back steps and get in the car."

"Could one of those people have been a woman?"

"Yes, sir, I believe so. One was wearing some kind of blue pantsuit."

"Where are you right now? Do you have idea where they might be heading?"

Robins gave his location. "I think they might be heading for Rock Creek Park."

"All right," DiNozzo said. "Here's what I want you do. Stay on their tail but don't turn on the siren or the lights and keep your distance. Report back to me on this com if their direction changes. If they stop and it seems like they might be hurting the woman, use your discretion. Shoot to kill if you have to. My partner and I are on our way."

DiNozzo turned back to Detective Delbart, who was checking with his headquarters to see if there was a plane or helicopter in the air that could do surveillance of the pursuit from above. DiNozzo waited until he finished. Delbart waved at him. "Go! I've got a bird."

DiNozzo shouted across the room to where McGee was assisting one of the cops in securing a suspect.

"McGee! Let's go! We know where the professor is."

The two agents sprinted out of the building to DiNozzo's surveillance vehicle. Once in, DiNozzo asked McGee to set out the flashing light but not to turn the siren on. With the warning light flashing, DiNozzo accelerated through the rush hour traffic. He was an expert at finding the best way to get from point A to point B, but even so he shouted in fury at other drivers who wouldn't, or couldn't, get out of his way.

The young police officer was still tailing Avram's car, still reporting back on his location. It was pretty clear that Avram was indeed heading for Rock Creek Park.

McGee had been thinking. "I'll bet he's headed for that grassy place near the west end of the park. It'd make a good rendez-vous site."

DiNozzo grunted an assent. He was closing on the police car ahead of him. They were only minutes away from the park. Once they were close enough, DiNozzo buzzed Robins. "Back off a bit and let us take the lead. But be prepared to give us backup."

By now DiNozzo had made good enough time that he could see Avram's car approaching the western-most entrance of Rock Creek Park. McGee was peering out the windshield.

"Helicopter," he pointed out to DiNozzo.

"Could be the police chopper."

"Don't think so. It doesn't have the right markings."

"Damn."

As DiNozzo drove into the park, he noted Robin's police unit nearby. The heavy black car ahead followed the drive to the most open spot in the area. The helicopter was drifting downward toward the same spot.

DiNozzo feared they'd be too late and decided to take a shortcut across the greensward. He and McGee watched as the other car stopped and three figures stepped out of it. The side door of the ‘copter opened and someone inside flung a rope ladder down. One of the three figures on the ground leaped on the rope and began to climb. The professor, however, was obviously having none of that. She was twisting and beating the other person with her fists, trying to make him release her.

Just then the front end of the NCIS car bumped up with a sickening motion and then thumped down with a crash. It had hit a tiny berm forming the bank of an irrigation canal. The front axle now rested on top of the berm with the front wheels spinning uselessly above the ditch.

Without hesitation DiNozzo and McGee flew out of the car with their weapons out, jumped over the ditch, and ran pell-mell toward the ‘copter. They sensed rather than heard the police car come to a halt behind theirs, followed by the pounding of another pair of feet.

"Get the bird," DiNozzo screamed as he began firing. McGee complied, although it was impossible to aim properly while they were running at top speed. Nonetheless, they could hear the metal of their bullets pinging against the skin of the helicopter. The person on the ladder had also pulled out a gun and was firing back at them. McGee stopped just for a second to place his shot accurately, and the man on the ladder lurched and gave up his hold, falling to the ground with a loud, bone-cracking thud.

As he ran, DiNozzo saw the professor break away from the man holding her. He took advantage of the opportunity, quickly sending a shot toward him. Avram (for it was he) went down. The occupants of the helicopter must have thought better of staying on the scene; the pilot put it in motion, and it swooped up and out over the park, the rope ladder swinging behind it like the tail of a very large kite.

A moment later, DiNozzo reached the professor.

"Are you all right?" he asked breathlessly.

"Where have you been, Tony DiNozzo? They almost killed me," she replied, her voice edged with hysteria.

"We got here as soon as we could. We didn't know where they were taking you," Tony said, still gasping for breath.

"I am not a field agent," the professor spat at him. "Director Morrow promised me I wouldn't be in any physical danger in this job."

"I really am sorry, ma'am. We didn't know we had a mole on staff."

"Oh, you…you…you cad," Rose sputtered. She turned and began walking as rapidly as she could down the pathway, her pale blue garments streaming behind her.