- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is my first story, and I give a special thankis to K sl for her wonderful help and advice, without which this story would still be sitting like a homeless orphan on my computer. Thanks Katherine! i welcome all input and critique, but go eas yon me, this is my first story. ;) Thanks
Author's Chapter Notes:
the start of a wonderful relationship, and a reunion.
Remembrances

the missile blast threw up chunks of rock, shrapnel and debris around the jeep. Ziva and two other Israeli soldiers were riding in. They were going headed for the Golan. Ziva was thrown from the jeep, but the other two, young men, no more than twenty weren't so fortunate. the rough Judean hillside was desolate, and Ziva had no radio to call for help. It lay burning in the jeep.

She was flung clear, but hit her head on a boulder, and her right arm and left was riddled with shrapnel. Trying to move her left leg, Blood soaked. She was able to move it. "no broken bones, thank God". She swore hoarsely in Hebrew, for letting her father talk her into leaving NCIS to come back to Israel to assist in domestic operations. Back there all she had to concern herself was doing her job, keeping Tony in his place and keeping her hands off McGee. She couldn't bring him into her world, too much danger, she wouldn't put Tim in danger just for her own reasons…..McGee.....

her thoughts started to drift. She raised a hand to her head and felt blood on the back of her head. She didn't have much time. She un holstered her sidearm. If they came after her, she would rather die fighting than be taken alive.

2 YEARS EARLIER
McGee.....Her mind flashed to a time two years ago. Captured, imprisoned for 4 long days. Then she heard the shouts, the gunfire. She watched McGee expertly yell "Federal Officer", she watched one her captors draw on McGee. Bad mistake, he put one right between his eyes. And when a second came up behind, he swung around and cold cocked him with the pistol, knocking him against the darkened hall and out for a long nap. The third took three to the heart.

She recalled his eyes. She tired to say his name "Tim....." but could manage no more than a hoarse whisper. her t-shirt was ripped and blood spattered, her face had contusions and she was weak, so weak.

"Ziva?....Ziva!" he looked into her eyes. She read his horror and relief at seeing her. He gently cupped her face for a moment, then brushed dark, curls from her eyes. "It's okay...it's gonna be okay..." Tim grabbed the radio from off of his belt. She saw mirrored in his eyes his genuine care and concern for her, and his disgust for the men who did this to her.

"Ducky...I found Ziva… basement, second door on the right, she's pretty bad need you here NOW". Ducky's voice crackled through the radio, "On my way.." He turned back to her, and started to patch her up best he could, quietly evaluating her condition for Ducky.

"Ziva, thank God you're still in the land of the living..." "Ducky take good care of her."

"I will, my boy, I promise you."

Ducky grunted and began his ministrations. She heard the faint wail of an ambulance and other voices in the hall.

"McGee, report" Gibbs bellowed.

"Boss, got this one" pointing to the man he had plugged between the eyes "he was about to kill Ziva".. Nailed the second over there, he whirled around to point at the second perp. he swung around, "and that one.." he should be okay but he's gonna wake up with one doozie of a headache."

"Cold cocked him eh?" a slight smile formed at the corner of his lips. "Uh, yeah boss"

"good work Tim... Ducky?"

"Oh she's weak, but she's young and strong, I think even after her detention in this hell hole I expect a full recovery.." he smiled down at Ziva, who was starting to fade from the painkiller Ducky had administered. Ducky didn't voice his concern about the severity of her wounds, for Tim's sake.

+++++++++++++
Three hours later

McGee sat in the dark in the corner of Ziva's room She seemed still and pale, more like a wax figure than a human being. The tube in her arm caused Tim's heart to ache. He hadn't realized until he saw Ziva in the cell how much he cared about her. He sat, his elbows resting on his knees, slumped forward, his hands together, as if in prayer. He didn't hear Gibbs enter the room.

"McGee, how's she doing?"

"Well the doctors say she's got several busted ribs and blood loss, and bumps and bruises but she's out of the woods."

Gibbs mutely nodded. "by the way McGee, it's 0400, what are you still doing here?"

"I just couldn't stand leaving her, I mean what if some of the other cell come after her? She should have some kind of protection detail, don't you agree, Boss?"

Gibbs thought for a moment, then nodded. "Yeah.. she should, just would have been nice if you had checked with me first…"

"I just hope I'm up for it Boss.. I mean…on my own…"

Gibbs cracked a smile, "Well, just do what you did at the house, just put one between their eyes, and if you can't do that, cold cock ‘ em….it's not brain surgery McGee.."

Tim smiled, "Yes, Boss……and thanks…"

They both turned to look at Ziva, unaware that she had heard every word. " The two men turned to look at Ziva. They had cleaned her up, but she had gone through a lot. "You make darn sure she's protected, you hear me?"

Tim nodded "On it Boss…"

Gibbs nodded, swung around and sauntered out of the hospital room. In the dim light, Tim looked at Ziva. He thought he saw her smile, though her eyes were closed. He drew his chair up next to the bed and took Ziva's hand in his own. Tim whispered to the unconscious woman, "You know, I never knew what to think about you….so smart, so skilled, yet so…remote. Tony told me you were out my league. He said that hell, you were out of HIS league.

Tim paused for a moment. "But I'm gonna try though, I gotta try…… I've never felt like this about anyone my entire life…..I must try…"

Ziva opened her eyes and looked up at McGee. "you don't have to try Tim…..I'm here….just don't let go….." she squeezed his hand. Tim bent down and kissed her hand, breathed a sigh of relief and whispered, " I won't, so help me."

----------
PRESENT DAY
Ziva passed out, her pistol still in her hand. She never heard the medivac helicopter land, nor saw the three men jump out, two in IDF fatigues, a third in camo fatigues. They never knew they checked her over, did triage, and loaded her onto the helicopter.

She was sure she was going to die, yet she was safe in hospital. Looking out her window, she recognized the city as Tel Aviv. Glancing slightly to her left, she saw Tim sitting, staring at her. Her heart leapt. "This is getting to be a habit, McGee….protection detail again?" she smiled, though her injuries made that painful.

McGee chuckled, "not exactly, I just took you up on your invitation….The Boss gave me some time off to come to see you.. he even arranged transport". Tim smiled at her conspiratorially, "You don't think he knows about us, do you?"

Ziva chuckled weakly. "Guess it doesn't much matter, now does it?"

Tim cocked an eyebrow. "Not right now, but maybe in a week or two it might?" He held a green envelope in his hands. She recognized the envelope immediately. "How did you…."

Tim held up a hand. "I had a little heart to heart with your Father, and I convinced him that if he really loved you, he would let me take you back to NCIS, so I could personally watch over you.."

Ziva laughed, despite her injuries. "Well, I didn't know you hobnobbed with high officials in the Israeli government, but you must have impressed him. He doesn't bend easily. You didn't threaten to shoot him if I didn't go back did you?" she grinned back at Tim.

"no, no, nothing like that….Let's just say I gave him to persuasive an argument to say no to.. and leave it at that.."

Ziva paused for a moment. "And Gibbs, Gibbs approved this?"

"Why don't you ask him yourself?"

Ziva rolled her eyes at Tim when Gibbs stepped into the room. "So, officer David, I see we had to come 4,000 miles to provide protection detail again." Gibbs smiled sardonically. "How are you Ziva?"

"Oh, bumps and bruises, actually better than I was the last time I was in hospital.."

"Well then, you had better hurry up and get out of here,." Gibbs handed her an airplane ticket. "I expect you and McGee back at NCIS, 0700, that's in ten days from now."

Ziva's eyebrows shot up, and she looked first at Tim, who nodded, and then back at Gibbs. "One condition Gibbs."
"and that would be…"

"If I hear one more sexist remark from DiNozzo, I get to shoot him?"

"Depends on where you plan to shoot him, officer David"

"Oh no where life threatening… nor to threaten his future progeny…"

Gibbs chuckled, "Agreed…..see you in 10." Gibbs held his hand up in farewell. "Take good care of officer David, McGee. And if you don't get her back in ten days it's…"

"My butt?"

"Yeah" Gibbs winked at him and departed.

Tim chuckled and walked to Ziva's bedside, and took her hand. "The doctors say you get out of hospital tomorrow, what shall we do for a week?"

Ziva bit her lip as if in deep thought. "Well how long have you been in Israel?" Seen much?"

McGee shook his head. I've mainly seen the inside of this hospital.

"Oh good, then would you let me show you my country? It's very beautiful"

Tim nodded and grinned at her "yeah sure, what ever you want to show me.."

Ziva shook her head in mock reproof.

"of your…"

"never mind Tim…..I know what you meant."

FIN
Chapter End Notes:
This is my first story, and I give a special thankis to K sl for her wonderful help and advice, without which this story would still be sitting like a homeless orphan on my computer.

Thanks Katherine!

i welcome all input and critique, but go eas yon me, this is my first story. ;)

Thanks