- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story assumes a relationship between the 'mysterious redhead' and Gibbs (obviously not a completely happy one. :D) It's based off the song 'Running Away' by Fuel.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs runs away to Kate.
Running Away



Disclaimer: Gibbs, Kate, and the song ‘Running Away' by Fuel are not mine. ::pouts:: Damn…..and I thought I really had a chance there. Oh, and Linda isn't mine either, but I gave her a name!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Linda was up visiting relatives for the weekend, and Gibbs was left alone to work on his boat and his work, as he had been for so many weekends before. At least that was what he led Linda to believe, he thought to himself, as he drove over to Georgetown, the scent of sawdust and a musty basement still clinging to him. He doesn't think when he does this, because thinking about it would lead to questioning it, and if he questioned it he knew he would stop it. And he didn't want to stop it.

He and Linda had been seeing each other on and off for about the past year and a half. He didn't know what attracted him to her. She was just like the others, the other wives and girlfriends, down to the hair color. Maybe he was a glutton for punishment, and longed for the heartache he seemed to associate with women like Linda. So what attracted him to Kate Todd, after all these years?

Caitlin Todd was different. How, he couldn't exactly put his finger on. She was an agent that worked with him, must as his first wife had been. She was intelligent, beautiful, and funny, just as the others had been as well. But something, perhaps the fire in her eyes, the occasional bite in her tone, made her different. She could stare him down, and win, so maybe that's what drew him to her.

The car, as well as his mind, seemed to be on autopilot as he continued to make the journey to her apartment. He turned the radio up, as if to drown out his thoughts, and it worked for a little while, until he passed the small pub that had led to this whole thing.

And then the memories started flooding back to him. He was feeling generous after a case, and proposed that the gang go out for some drinks and unwind. Everyone but Ducky was able to make it, and they had a fun night, unwinding after a hard week. And then, all too soon, they were suddenly alone. Abby and McGee had left, presumably went back to Abby's apartment, and Tony had left allegedly to meet up with a ‘hot date'.

Gibbs found himself opening up that night to Kate, and vice versa with each sip of their respective drinks. They were in no way drunk, but their inhibitions were lowered and their emotions less guarded. And one thing led to another, and they ended up in Kate's bed.

They promised each other that it was a one time thing. While not a mistake, it would never happen again, and wouldn't affect their working relationship.

But the next week at work, whenever one would looks at the other, they were transported back to that night, that bed, and could suddenly feel the other beside them. It was a temptation and as it turned out, neither could resist. He showed up at her apartment one night, and before she could question him, he had claimed her lips with his, and they burned his mark into her soft skin. And so once had become twice.

The next morning, they had made each other the same promise as before, that it wouldn't happen again. But now both were hooked. They knew what the other had to offer, and they both knew that no matter what the other said, they would come back to this. Neither were strong enough to resist.

That was months ago now, and their half-hearted promises had been forgotten and it its place, the early morning light was filled with whispered sweet nothings, something most would not expect from Jethro Gibbs. No one except for his Katie of course.

But this relationship they had going was not without problems. Whenever Linda would pick him up, he could see her straighten and avert her eyes. Other times Kate couldn't hide her jealousy as the redhead would kiss him openly, and they would drive off together. Later when Gibbs would go to see her, he wanted nothing more than to allay her fears, and assure her that she was the one that he truly cared for. But it didn't feel quite right, because if this was true, why would he still be with Linda?

But somehow, Kate kept this up. He was always afraid that one night he would show up to her apartment and she would be sharing her heart and her bed with someone else. He told her this once, and she laughed softly, and placed her palm against his cheek. "You're the only one for me, Jethro Gibbs. I don't care about Linda, whether or not you believe that." She smiled as she kissed him softly. "Besides, I happen to like my men older." She said, smiling.

A grin, something that was becoming more and more frequent when he thought of Katie, graced his aged face. He was now standing in front of her door, and prepared to knock. As she opened the door to him, she greeted him with a smile. Unlike many nights when they were too caught up in the moment to offer a proper greeting, she just stepped into his arms and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Hi Gibbs." She whispered.

She inhaled his scent, her face buried in the crook of his neck. This was something that had always bothered him. He knew that she could smell another woman on him, and yet she kissed him, touched him, and loved him all the same. He wasn't sure how she did it. Maybe that's why he almost always worked on his boat before he came over. He didn't want her to think about Linda while she was in his arms. Hell, he didn't want to think about Linda while his Katie was in his arms. It just felt wrong. So why did it feel so right, when they had their meetings?

Gibbs tightened his hold on her waist. He could tell that this last case had hit her hard, and he wanted to make sure that she was okay. She turned her face up to his, and he lightly kissed her, reassuring both of them of the others presence.

"I think that I might be in love with you Gibbs." She said, her smile tinged with sadness. But before he could call her on it, she settled her lips onto his, stopping his thoughts.

Deep down, Gibbs knew this was wrong, and that he should break it off with one of the women. But he just couldn't bring himself to do it. ‘How could something so wrong,' Gibbs thought to himself, as Katie led him to her bedroom, ‘Feel so right?'
Chapter End Notes:
This story assumes a relationship between the 'mysterious redhead' and Gibbs (obviously not a completely happy one. :D) It's based off the song 'Running Away' by Fuel.